• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern

I'd be surprised if the game plan doesn't include taking the air out of the ball, especially if Nebraska gets a couple TD lead. I don't think it will be a high scoring game, even if Nebraska wins decisively. I think the game plan will be fairly conservative, and the defense and kicking games will show well.
Huskers pretty much had their way with NW last year on the ground and in the air. Hope to see more of that this year.

So, what about Northwestern?

I like to poke holes in the emotional arguments of others and hope they are humble enough to recognize the limits of their speculations. Sometimes, I’m successful. Other times it just irritates people and causes them to attack my statements. They miss the point.

I will not join in attacking a staff or player when I don’t have the facts. They get the benefit of the doubt. I would treat Pat Fitzgerald the same way. His Northwestern team struggled recently as well. :thumbsup:
Well what an interesting bit of hypocrisy. I guess offering an opinion or observation is pointless in your world because us uninformed fans do not have the ability to make an opinion or judgment on anything in the football program. The hypocrisy lies in the fact that the only side you engage is those that have concerns with the coaching staff. Maybe you can show me a few posts were you have told another poster to pump the brakes in their enthusiasm because no matter what you hear in the media or see on tape does not make you qualified to sell the Kool-Aid.

Huskers pretty much had their way with NW last year on the ground and in the air. Hope to see more of that this year.
I just don't see that being nearly as likely when the game is 1) not at Memorial stadium and 2) first game of the year for the new staff. I think they'll have a good game plan, but it will be geared toward not giving Northwestern many possessions, and being sure to keep drives moving and get points on the board when the Huskers get the chance, or win the battle for field position if they can't.

Remember how Osborne's first 2-3 games, the offensive game plan was usually pretty vanilla until they played the first 'decent' opponent, often the first conference game of the season? Suddenly, there would be plays we hadn't seen all season (and more importantly, no opponent had seen them either). I miss those days. What a luxury that was.

Well what an interesting bit of hypocrisy. I guess offering an opinion or observation is pointless in your world because us uninformed fans do not have the ability to make an opinion or judgment on anything in the football program. The hypocrisy lies in the fact that the only side you engage is those that have concerns with the coaching staff. Maybe you can show me a few posts were you have told another poster to pump the brakes in their enthusiasm because no matter what you hear in the media or see on tape does not make you qualified to sell the Kool-Aid.

You two take this to PMs please

It's derailing a good discussion

Not asking either of you to leave just be nice

Thnx

RR

I just don't see that being nearly as likely when the game is 1) not at Memorial stadium and 2) first game of the year for the new staff. I think they'll have a good game plan, but it will be geared toward not giving Northwestern many possessions, and being sure to keep drives moving and get points on the board when the Huskers get the chance, or win the battle for field position if they can't.

Remember how Osborne's first 2-3 games, the offensive game plan was usually pretty vanilla until they played the first 'decent' opponent, often the first conference game of the season? Suddenly, there would be plays we hadn't seen all season (and more importantly, no opponent had seen them either). I miss those days. What a luxury that was.
Amen to the bolded. Tom was also a master at adding new wrinkles all season based on what he'd seen on film. It wasn't necessarily that he was holding something back from earlier games to hide it, it was based on how he thought they could exploit the other team based on their tendencies.

My prediction in the game prediction thread was something like 21-13. For the reasons you stated above, I just don't see the Huskers reeling off a bunch of points.

I probably differ from you just a bit in that I don't necessarily see Whipple going ground and pound to limit possessions right off the bat (1st half). I might have misread you on that, though. I expect him to air it out early and see what happens. By air it out, I don't mean 90-10 passing, but do expect the first half to be 60-40 passing and adjust from there. That will still likely be somewhat vanilla, but I think more due to 1st game and not having everything installed vs saving things for later.

Either way, lets just get out of there with a win, pretty or ugly, and build some momentum!

Please take your personal stuff to PM’s. This thread is about Northwestern.

I agree. I’m not qualified to sell kool aid regarding SF. That’s why I don’t do it. I’m even less qualified, as most here are, to make judgments about things for which I don’t know all the facts.
Make opinions all you want. Just recognize the container which contains what a person knows is never as full as the one that contain the things the person doesn‘t know.

Now please do as we've been asked by the moderator and make your personal attacks through PM’s rather than taking this thread off topic.

Amen to the bolded. Tom was also a master at adding new wrinkles all season based on what he'd seen on film. It wasn't necessarily that he was holding something back from earlier games to hide it, it was based on how he thought they could exploit the other team based on their tendencies.

My prediction in the game prediction thread was something like 21-13. For the reasons you stated above, I just don't see the Huskers reeling off a bunch of points.

I probably differ from you just a bit in that I don't necessarily see Whipple going ground and pound to limit possessions right off the bat (1st half). I might have misread you on that, though. I expect him to air it out early and see what happens. By air it out, I don't mean 90-10 passing, but do expect the first half to be 60-40 passing and adjust from there. That will still likely be somewhat vanilla, but I think more due to 1st game and not having everything installed vs saving things for later.

Either way, lets just get out of there with a win, pretty or ugly, and build some momentum!
I would take 21-13. But I truly hope we are doing so well that we are putting in the backup QB in the 4th quarter. A lot may depend as much on how well we replace losses on defense as it is on the offense gelling.

Very young O line and with the right coaching some guys may just emerge

I do think there's enough talent there to be more effective at run and especially pass blocking than we saw last season.

But the one unit where experience and maturity matters most is the offensive line. That includes playing together as a unit -- as they function as a unit more than any other. It's actually my favorite unit, as offensive linemen tend to be great people -- smart and well-spoken -- and sometimes very quirky (entertainingly, imo). If you were to ask me which former Huskers I admire most -- Dave Rimington and Will Shields are both top 5. And Cam Jergens grew on me big time. I love where he came from (including being from Beatrice -- both of my parents' hometown) and where he is now. A high draft pick with the opportunity to take over for a center who could very well be in the Hall of Fame.

I'm actually more excited about the Northwestern game than I have been about an opening game in years. Because there's so many unknowns on this team -- yet so much potential. I don't know what will happen with the offensive line and most of the team for that matter, but I'm very intrigued to watch. :)

I do think there's enough talent there to be more effective at run and especially pass blocking than we saw last season.

But the one unit where experience and maturity matters most is the offensive line. That includes playing together as a unit -- as they function as a unit more than any other. It's actually my favorite unit, as offensive linemen tend to be great people -- smart and well-spoken -- and sometimes very quirky (entertainingly, imo). If you were to ask me which former Huskers I admire most -- Dave Rimington and Will Shields are both top 5. And Cam Jergens grew on me big time. I love where he came from (including being from Beatrice -- both of my parents' hometown) and where he is now. A high draft pick with the opportunity to take over for a center who could very well be in the Hall of Fame.

I'm actually more excited about the Northwestern game than I have been about an opening game in years. Because there's so many unknowns on this team -- yet so much potential. I don't know what will happen with the offensive line and most of the team for that matter, but I'm very intrigued to watch. :)

+100

Well said

Northwestern struggled last year, but Fitz has definitely earned the benefit of the doubt far more than Frost. I wouldn't put those two in the same category until Frost earns it.

I think they will struggle again this year too but yeah I agree with what your saying

Last edited:

Please take your personal stuff to PM’s. This thread is about Northwestern.

I agree. I’m not qualified to sell kool aid regarding SF. That’s why I don’t do it. I’m even less qualified, as most here are, to make judgments about things for which I don’t know all the facts.
Make opinions all you want. Just recognize the container which contains what a person knows is never as full as the one that contain the things the person doesn‘t know.

Now please do as we've been asked by the moderator and make your personal attacks through PM’s rather than taking this thread off topic.

Knock it off

RR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back