• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously

Some of the quotes about NU have been leaked before so not sure how "fresh" they are. NU looks the part, now its time to act the part.

Always an interesting read about all the conference teams.

The original comments came out weeks, if not a few months ago. "Best looking team in warmups?" That is actually a compliment to the S&C staff/program, IMO. They just need to coach them up now.

I think we finally have an OC who understands ball security > offensive explosion.

Agree. OCMW reiterated in his presser that he'll have sets of plays for each QB based on what they can execute best and based on what the QB is confident doing.

If he takes this approach to the offense in general, this will be a refreshing improvement.

And in regard to the B1G coaches' comments, those were all fair/accurate takes.

Last edited:
I was fine with seeing Pelini go because yes composure and also he couldn’t win big games
He didn’t lose to Texas or Oklahoma, one game was stolen, the other was fumbled away. He should have had 2 Big 12 titles. also, I’d argue he didn’t care about winning big games after about 2011. He wanted fired and out from underneath working for the fools he worked for.

Agree. OCMW reiterated in his preserve that he'll have sets of plays for each QB based on what they can execute best and based on what the QB is confident doing.

If he takes this approach to the offense in general, this will be a refreshing improvement.

And in regard to the B1G coaches' comments, those were all fair/accurate takes.
This approach also allows for in the event of injury a leg up for both him and qb2 to start expending the play book immediately

Some of the quotes about NU have been leaked before so not sure how "fresh" they are. NU looks the part, now its time to act the part.

Yeah, until NU starts having 'blood bath' practices, I don't see anything changing.

He didn’t lose to Texas or Oklahoma, one game was stolen, the other was fumbled away. He should have had 2 Big 12 titles. also, I’d argue he didn’t care about winning big games after about 2011. He wanted fired and out from underneath working for the fools he worked for.
We've all had bosses we've worked for that we didn't care for ... if that causes you to come into work and intentionally perform less than your best than the issue is not your boss it is YOU. Can a good boss make your job easier and more successful? Absolutely, but to give less than your best because you consider your boss(es) a fool reflects more on your character than their character.

I agree and had that not happened I truly believe we’d be a powerhouse right now. Had we beat OU in 2010, we would’ve played UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl (who OU ended up dominating) and just imagine recruiting after that

I agree and had that not happened I truly believe we’d be a powerhouse right now. Had we beat OU in 2010, we would’ve played UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl (who OU ended up dominating) and just imagine recruiting after that
FADSE was not suited for the AD position at NU.
I do think revisionist history would have been much kinder to NU if someone else had filled that AD role.

Pelini could have settled into his role as HC and the resulting stability would have been a boon for a program transitioning to the B1G from the B12. Pelini though in his years at YSU and LSU do not reflect kindly on a guy who's always been his own worst enemy.

I find it interesting that, much like Solich his post-Husker career has not been that kind to the argument that he would have been ultra-successful at NU.

FADSE was not suited for the AD position at NU.
I do think revisionist history would have been much kinder to NU if someone else had filled that AD role.

Pelini could have settled into his role as HC and the resulting stability would have been a boon for a program transitioning to the B1G from the B12. Pelini though in his years at YSU and LSU do not reflect kindly on a guy who's always been his own worst enemy.

I find it interesting that, much like Solich his post-Husker career has not been that kind to the argument that he would have been ultra-successful at NU.
I think Solich's career faired better post-NU. He got a lot out of those Ohio teams and had a solid program. Sure, he never made it back to a big-time program, but I'm not sure if that is what he was even wanting.

Pelini didn't do bad at YSU, either. The issues he had at Nebraska, he also had there. The LSU year exposed what NU fans had known for years- Pelini is too committed to his defensive system and when a team takes advantage of its weaknesses, disaster happens. That opener he had against Mississippi State had me sitting with PTSD. Crossing routes all day and an SEC passing record was the result.

Both were solid coaches while at Nebraska and after, but neither was going to be able to get our program where we wanted it to be. You could argue that getting rid of them ultimately made us worse, but more of that has to do with who was hired in their place.

Meh, what do coaches who scout and scheme against these guys know? They sound like Frost haters

I can't imagine any coach coaching four seasons while not caring about winning and wanting to be fired. If that's the case, he was truly a detriment to the team.

What I saw was a coach who was more suited for the Big 12 than the Big Ten. Our defenses were not nearly as good in the Big Ten as they were in the Big 12. Granted, a lot of that was due to the talent level when Bo left not being quite what it was when he got there. But physical run attacks were the way to beat Bo. And he was very fortunate the Big Ten was not nearly as good when he coached as it is now.

Last edited:
We've all had bosses we've worked for that we didn't care for ... if that causes you to come into work and intentionally perform less than your best than the issue is not your boss it is YOU. Can a good boss make your job easier and more successful? Absolutely, but to give less than your best because you consider your boss(es) a fool reflects more on your character than their character.
I don't see any evidence that he didn't give his best. Ultimately, winning 9-10 games a season wasn't good enough, so we decided to go a different direction. Down the toilet.

I can't imagine any coach coaching four seasons while not caring about winning and wanting to be fired. If that's the case, he was truly a detriment to the team.

What I saw was a coach who was more suited for the Big 12 than the Big Ten. Our defenses were not nearly as good in the Big Ten as they were in the Big 12. Granted, a lot of that was due to the talent level when Bo left not being quite what it was when he got there. But physical run attacks were the way to beat Bo. And he was very fortunate the Big Ten was not nearly as good when he coached as it is now.
Yup. We have entered the era of parody (sic).

- Says every Husker fan since the days of Tom Osborne

I was ok with firing Pelini, but I would have preferred hiring someone other than Riley.

It wasn't so much that he couldn't win big games. It was the blowouts. Gordon was a great back. Losing to him is understandable. But the NCAA rushing record being broken is not understandable.... especially when a lot of the guys on that defense ended up playing in the NFL.
The blowout losses in big games I should have clarified better, it seemed like we always lost on the big stage by large margins. And I also was not fond of the Mike Riley hire but you know Eichorst

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back