• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RB by Committee or does one Emerge?

Interesting RB group this year. Gabe Ervin will be back from injury after being the guy early. Is he the leader of the group? Rahmir Johnson was strong late in the season. Grant certainly showed some explosiveness in the Spring game. Of course everyone will be hoping Yant can show something. Intriguing group. I don't know much about Whipple's approach to RBs. It sure would be nice to have someone be the primary (get a 1,000 yard rusher) with a group of change of pace and depth. Sure seems like this group has a chance for that?
Allen gets on the field in the Oklahoma game and becomes a freshman phenom and on his way to a legendary Husker career.

Interesting RB group this year. Gabe Ervin will be back from injury after being the guy early. Is he the leader of the group? Rahmir Johnson was strong late in the season. Grant certainly showed some explosiveness in the Spring game. Of course everyone will be hoping Yant can show something. Intriguing group. I don't know much about Whipple's approach to RBs. It sure would be nice to have someone be the primary (get a 1,000 yard rusher) with a group of change of pace and depth. Sure seems like this group has a chance for that?
I think Yant is going to be a dude this year. He was super timid last year and regardless of his size always seemed to fall backwards at the point of contact. He has retooled his body and is a lot more explosive. I would expect to see RJ in a lot of swing passes or 3rd down situational stuff. Hell even the screen game depending on how defenses rush. I would expect to see GR or Grant in a traditional back role. Probably play the hot hand approach.

I think Yant is going to be a dude this year. He was super timid last year and regardless of his size always seemed to fall backwards at the point of contact. He has retooled his body and is a lot more explosive. I would expect to see RJ in a lot of swing passes or 3rd down situational stuff. Hell even the screen game depending on how defenses rush. I would expect to see GR or Grant in a traditional back role. Probably play the hot hand approach.
If Grants a tough hard nosed runner in the Big, he might beat out Gabe, time will tell. If he can hold up.
I feel Gabes injury was a freak thing, but time will tell with him too

So, what, 25-30 run plays per game, along with 35-40+ pass plays per game? That’s not a lot of carries to go around, so whoever it is, will likely be someone who excels in pass catching and blocking. Might see some of these dudes exit after fall camp, or shortly after. Probably only room for 3 dudes, baring injury, to see the field fairly regular. No idea who it will be, but it’s pretty crowded in there. Definitely won’t be able to keep them all. Maybe one guy can separate himself? Will be fun to watch it play out.

I'd take this type of production from our RB's.....

pitt running backs.jpg

Me personally, I’d like to see Yant turn into that B1G bell-cow every-down back like Mo Ibrahim, Ozigbo, etc. with Grant and Ervin as our change of pace guys. Rahmir will be more of a passing down back which ALWAYS has a place in Mark Whipple’s offense

So basically Whipple likes to have a committee is what I’m seeing. Hopefully that can translate to the B1G but most teams have a bell-cow guy so maybe Yant?
Might have also been created because of injuries? Look at the BIG and the number of #1 RB's that are injured almost every season? I'd say you'd best have several RB's that are good if you plan on doing a lot of running in the BIG. I think Wisky lost all 3 of their top RB's and lucked into finding a defensive player (Bralelon Allen) that became a hell of a RB.

Might have also been created because of injuries? Look at the BIG and the number of #1 RB's that are injured almost every season? I'd say you'd best have several RB's that are good if you plan on doing a lot of running in the BIG. I think Wisky lost all 3 of their top RB's and lucked into finding a defensive player (Bralelon Allen) that became a hell of a RB.
Minny lost their guy too

The BIG is a freaken meat grinder for RB's imo. Hence we might be better positioned with several RB's that can get it done as opposed to one super star RB.
Thats just it,how many years are taken from Big RBs going next level.
A rare back in the NFL that lasts 7 years starts the clock ticking once hes starting in the Big

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back