• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompson vs Purdy

Not sure how bringing in a quarterback specifically to run the option throws much of a loop. I know you want to argue that it adds so many more variables for the defense but if that’s the case……make him the starter.
I do. Nebraska doesn’t and isn’t known for much of it anymore. Bring him in on 3rd and 2 from the 12. 2nd and 8 from the 40. Throw out of it. Set them up. A safe pass to the flat. Everyone would be playing the run. The next time, run some option they haven’t seen. Then, you can’t game plan for it, because he could throw it also. I think he could be a deadly weapon if they used him right. Kid can really run. That’s a plus. He’s a player imo.

Thompson 24 TD passes with 9 Interceptions

Martinez 14 TD passes 10 Interceptions

Fumble turnovers is another stat to look at too
Let’s talk about fumble turnovers. I believe it was 4. I think Casey had 2. AM also had 13 TDs to CTs 4. And AM did it with the worst offensive line in P5. I guess if a poster wants to argue the difference between passing turnovers when it’s 10-9 and the guy with 10 had a lot more attempts that’s fine. My comment was accurate enough that I stand behind it.

Last edited:
You are right. I should be listening to the coaches.
Not sure why there'd be disparity? It helps whom?
The players know, so disparity wouldnt help them.
Between Chins the rest of the coaches and TA, they know, wont help them.
Lying on an island doesnt even help yourself.

I guess I'll take this one to the bank

Not sure why there'd be disparity? It helps whom?
The players know, so disparity wouldnt help them.
Between Chins the rest of the coaches and TA, they know, wont help them.
Lying on an island doesnt even help yourself.

I guess I'll take this one to the bank
Disparity? I’m discussing your comment that we finally have 3 quarterbacks who can read the defenses. Just wondering what the justification for that is.

It will be very interesting to see how the QB battle plays out over the next 2 years. Given where we are at, one would expect there will be some struggles as the program tries to get on the right footing. QB is a high pressure position at any school, Nebraska is certainly no exception. Thompson has 2 years left and Purdy has 4. Everything you read seems to indicate Purdy is right on Thompson's heels.

While we would all love for Thompson to take the reins and never let go, doesn't it seem likely we see the two of them each getting some significant playing time this year?
The fact that we are focused on this with 5 pages of posts says that we’ve all forgotten that the most important position in our years of greatness was something that we’ll need to teach our younger contributors about - the “I-Back”.

Ok. I just didn’t see it in the spring game. I’m sure they held back the passing skills so as not to give the opponents anything to defend against.
No, Purdy didnt play much all spring, reading and making all the throws for LS has been a problem, but yes, Thompson was uber vanilla the way they used him for what little they did.

It will be very interesting to see how the QB battle plays out over the next 2 years. Given where we are at, one would expect there will be some struggles as the program tries to get on the right footing. QB is a high pressure position at any school, Nebraska is certainly no exception. Thompson has 2 years left and Purdy has 4. Everything you read seems to indicate Purdy is right on Thompson's heels.

While we would all love for Thompson to take the reins and never let go, doesn't it seem likely we see the two of them each getting some significant playing time this year?
Only way I see both getting significant playing time is if the starter gets hurt at some point during the year (which is something that happens). However, I think the coaching staff will pick a guy and try to ride with them, barring a train wreck.

The list of schools that a two-QB system has failed in is much longer than those where it has been successful. Michigan made it work last year, but most times it causes more issues than benefits. QB is really one of those positions where you need stability.

Only way I see both getting significant playing time is if the starter gets hurt at some point during the year (which is something that happens). However, I think the coaching staff will pick a guy and try to ride with them, barring a train wreck.

The list of schools that a two-QB system has failed in is much longer than those where it has been successful. Michigan made it work last year, but most times it causes more issues than benefits. QB is really one of those positions where you need stability.
As they say, timing is everything. The way and time the ball comes in, the time it takes to read the D, one qb perfects a sideline throw, another the seam etc.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back