• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompson vs Purdy

Also, no Frost playcalling, no Frost offensive scheme.

I sure hope we don't miss AM's wheels too much, which occasionally made up some for a horrible offensive line.

While I agree Thompson and Purdy are better quarterbacks than Martinez with Whipple's scheme. But I'm uncertain how effective Whipple's offense will be.

Also, none of our quarterbacks have much starting experience. Casey Thompson leads the way, but he only has 11 career starts.
Disagree somewhat on scheme, we will see some SF scheme, which was good getting us down the field just not in the end zone.

I don't think of it as much of a 2 QB system happening, rather what happens when we drop a game or two?

Probably depends on what opponents we lose to. If we lose to Rutgers and/or Illinois, could see a change at QB. Or if we're to the point where Frost is clinging on to his future in Lincoln by a thread.

I personally don't believe we'll see a 2-QB platoon. In fact, I'd be shocked. That's a risk not worth taking when a head coach has his job on the line, IMO.

The key to playing time will be the ability to read the defense and make quick decisions. That's where I think Casey Thompson edges out Purdy.
That’s NU brain washing and a resin we saw results like last year thinking only one man can get the job down, hurt or not

Probably depends on what opponents we lose to. If we lose to Rutgers and/or Illinois, could see a change at QB. Or if we're to the point where Frost is clinging on to his future in Lincoln by a thread.

Totally agree ... and then there's always the injury risk ...

Based upon recent history, there's going to be some rough spots!

Have you seen/heard this mentioned somewhere? Maybe I missed it (quite possible).

Last I heard, Frost is letting Whipple control the offense.

Even though he won't be calling plays, Frost said he would stay heavily involved with the offense.

"It will be about the same as it was before," Frost said. "It's just that I don't have to run every offensive unit meeting and I don't have to do all the game-planning. I can spend some time with the defense for a few days if I need to."

Re-Watched a few games from last season. Not to sound like I'm bagging on the kid but Martinez missed a ton of easy throws and reads. Any of our new guys improve upon that we won't need their "wheels" to save our bacon. Hearing of their accuracy is really encouraging to me. Makes me think our offense will be quite good this year.

The only time I've seen a 2-QB system work is when one of the guys becomes a RB/WR who can throw the ball, too.

But then it's not really two quarterbacks.

Tommie and Brook never saw the field together, so that was really just a starter-vs-backup scenario.

The closest I've ever seen at Nebraska was when Crouch and Newcombe split time, but eventually Bobby became the all-purpose WR/RB/KR/whatever guy.

Last edited:

Thanks. I did miss that, but I didn't pay much attention to the Big Ten media days last week.

It will be very interesting to see how the QB battle plays out over the next 2 years. Given where we are at, one would expect there will be some struggles as the program tries to get on the right footing. QB is a high pressure position at any school, Nebraska is certainly no exception. Thompson has 2 years left and Purdy has 4. Everything you read seems to indicate Purdy is right on Thompson's heels.

While we would all love for Thompson to take the reins and never let go, doesn't it seem likely we see the two of them each getting some significant playing time this year?
I see Thompson starting the entire season barring injury or a total meltdown. You may see Smothers thrown in every once in a while as a wrinkle, but very rarely.

IF Thompson does get pulled or hurt, then I think we see some sort of a 2 QB system between Purdy and Smothers.

The only time I've seen a 2-QB system work is when one of the guys becomes a RB/WR who can throw the ball, too.

But then it's not really two quarterbacks.

Tommie and Brook never saw the field together, so that was really just a starter-vs-backup scenario.

The closest I've ever seen at Nebraska was when Crouch and Newcombe split time, but eventually Bobby became the all-purpose WR/RB/KR/whatever guy.
Yup.

Really the only time I can remember a 2 QB system working at a high level was Leak/Tebow.

I feel bad that it appears Logan isn’t going to get a real opportunity. I hope like hell they are smart enough to put in some option/QB run type plays for him to run to throw the defense for a loop. It could be deadly and a huge weapon, especially if he can also pass out of some of it. Kid is a playmaker, and they need to find a way to use him imo. He is not a scab of an athlete. He could have went to many power 5 schools.

I see Thompson starting the entire season barring injury or a total meltdown. You may see Smothers thrown in every once in a while as a wrinkle, but very rarely.

IF Thompson does get pulled or hurt, then I think we see some sort of a 2 QB system between Purdy and Smothers.
Makes sense as we may see some LS, at least tried, regardless who's in.
Again, if successful, might see a lot of it situationally

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back