• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompson vs Purdy

We have three QBs who can read defenses well. Thompson does the best here, likely from playing.
CP and LS can but still making some mistakes, but no turnovers, thats from Whipple. It hasnt come quick/natural yet.
Thompsons ready just needs reps, the other two needs reps for consistency and all 3 have strengths and will get their own packages of plays. Also from coach Whipple.

It will be very interesting to see how the QB battle plays out over the next 2 years. Given where we are at, one would expect there will be some struggles as the program tries to get on the right footing. QB is a high pressure position at any school, Nebraska is certainly no exception. Thompson has 2 years left and Purdy has 4. Everything you read seems to indicate Purdy is right on Thompson's heels.

While we would all love for Thompson to take the reins and never let go, doesn't it seem likely we see the two of them each getting some significant playing time this year?
Let the chips fall where they may. I do like Smothers and Haarberg a lot (and Torres) but am glad that Purdy has 4 years of eligibility.

With that being said, who transfers out 1st?

Let the chips fall where they may. I do like Smothers and Haarberg a lot (and Torres) but am glad that Purdy has 4 years of eligibility.

We lose our number 2 QB

Both have shown they don’t like competition

I'm not sure anyone does,maybe Masker?
Masker is a walk-on. I truly think he knew his situation from day 1 and is there to get his education. Not like he came in on a scholly but got beat out by everyone. Just seems to be a crowded room and we know with todays transfer portal what that usually means.

That's a good question. If Thompson looks strong, does Purdy sit two years? I think Smothers' question is does he prefer to be a back up for the Huskers or go somewhere else? Torres and Haarberg are both projects, and they not only have to clear the guys in front of them, but be constantly looking over their shoulders as to whose coming in behind them.

Masker is a walk-on. I truly think he knew his situation from day 1 and is there to get his education. Not like he came in on a scholly but got beat out by everyone. Just seems to be a crowded room and we know with todays transfer portal what that usually means.
I now he said hes staying, but maybe LS.
The spread in eligibility is there.
My take is Thompson, Purdy then Torres with a further separator if Torres redshirts.
Those 3 are it, and I can see all 3 staying to play.
If they create a successful qb run package for LS I could see him staying as well.

I see three key advantages to this qb room over recent years:
  1. No Adrian Martinez
  2. No Adrian Martinez
  3. No Adrian Martinez
That works for me.

Also, no Frost playcalling, no Frost offensive scheme.

I sure hope we don't miss AM's wheels too much, which occasionally made up some for a horrible offensive line.

While I agree Thompson and Purdy are better quarterbacks than Martinez with Whipple's scheme. But I'm uncertain how effective Whipple's offense will be.

Also, none of our quarterbacks have much starting experience. Casey Thompson leads the way, but he only has 11 career starts.

I personally don't believe we'll see a 2-QB platoon. In fact, I'd be shocked. That's a risk not worth taking when a head coach has his job on the line, IMO.

The key to playing time will be the ability to read the defense and make quick decisions. That's where I think Casey Thompson edges out Purdy.

Last edited:

I personally don't believe we'll see a 2-QB platoon. In fact, I'd be shocked. That's a risk not worth taking when a head coach has his job on the line, IMO.

The key to playing time will be the ability to read the defense and make quick decisions. That's where I think Casey Thompson edges out Purdy.

I don't think of it as much of a 2 QB system happening, rather what happens when we drop a game or two?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back