• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

[Concept] "Bigger" B1G 4-6 Rivalry Scheduling

16 team B1G = Four 4 team pods = AFC
16 team SEC = Four 4 team pods = NFC

The problem is that there are too many good teams in FBS to make a 32-team league work.

Not unless the B1G and SEC start cutting teams like Rutgers and Vandy.

Case in point, there are exactly 32 teams in the current B1G/SEC and that leaves out Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Miami and a few others like Oregon, Washington and yes, even Colorado who has both a Heisman Winner and a NT.

I think it's more likely you'll see maybe 50-60 teams in the new FBS or whatever they call it.

don't see a 16 game schedule any time in the near future
The conference could do 16 games. The criticism is always that is too many games for the players. Solution: limit the players to 12-13 games but not the team. Schools carry more than a hundred players on their roster, let all of them play.

Would never work with 85 Scholarship limit. Couldn't keep enough of starters or 2-deep healthy enough. Probably need 115 scholarships, but the level of play would suffer for most all Teams.
Limit players to 12-13 games per year but not the teams. There are enough players on the roster to do it.

Before more games get added to the schedule, someone needs to remember the players already have something close to a full time job, also known as being a full time student. I was talking to an older gentleman about scheduling more games when he indicated that playing CFB was like having a full time job. For him, being a student/athlete was a lot like having 2 full time jobs. NIL money will help removing some of the pressure, but not everyone (not even all scholarship players) will be getting big piles of cash. I remember Osborne used to warn about extending the season any further than it already is, taking a toll on players.

Treating CFB like the NFL would be wrong. Most NFL players aren't attending school full time.

Food for thought: here are the Top 25 TV markets in the US, according to Nielsen. The Big Ten already has a footprint in many of these markets. AAU members are in italics.

#MetroMost Likely Teams?
1New YorkB1G
2Los AngelesB1G
3ChicagoB1G
4PhiladelphiaB1G
5DallasTCU, SMU
6San FranciscoCal, Stanford
7Washington, DCB1G
8HoustonHouston, Rice
9BostonBoston College
10AtlantaGeorgia Tech, Clemson
11TampaFSU, Miami, UCF
12PhoenixArizona, Arizona State
13DetroitB1G
14SeattleWashington
15MinneapolisB1G
16MiamiMiami, FSU, UCF
17DenverColorado
18OrlandoUCF, FSU, Miami
19ClevelandB1G
20SacramentoCal, Stanford
21St. Louis???
22CharlotteUNC, Duke
23PittsburghB1G
24Raleigh-DurhamUNC, Duke
25PortlandOregon

Last edited:
Food for thought: here are the Top 25 TV markets in the US, according to Nielsen. The Big Ten already has a footprint in many of these markets. AAU members are in italics.

#MetroMost Likely Teams?
1New YorkB1G
2Los AngelesB1G
3ChicagoB1G
4PhiladelphiaB1G
5DallasTCU, SMU
7Washington, DCB1G
8HoustonHouston, Rice
9BostonBoston College
11TampaFSU, Miami, UCF
13DetroitB1G
14SeattleWashington
15MinneapolisB1G
16MiamiMiami, FSU, UCF
17DenverColorado
18OrlandoUCF, FSU, Miami
19ClevelandB1G
21St. Louis???
22CharlotteUNC, Duke
23PittsburghB1G
25PortlandOregon

Thank you for posting this. It is much easier to look at and consider in this format.

Thank you for posting this. It is much easier to look at and consider in this format.

Here's a wild thought - there are nine AAU members in that list. Picking up 8 of them would make for a nice balance, and a 4x6 divisional alignment is nice, too.

I'd probably take Stanford - and not Cal - but if the CA Government wants to muck around and force UC-Berkeley (Cal) and UC-LA terms, than you can probably drop Arizona or Colorado and just reshuffle the deck a bit.

It would add ~15 million more TV sets to the B1G footprint, which is basically the same size as NYC/LA/CHI put together.

ABCD
ArizonaColoradoIllinoisDuke
OregonIowaIndianaGeorgia Tech
Cal -or- StanfordMinnesotaMichiganMaryland
UCLANebraskaMichigan StateNorth Carolina
USCNorthwesternOhio StateRutgers
WashingtonWisconsinPurduePenn State

Selfishly, I like a division with Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Colorado annually.

Last edited:

#MetroMost Likely Teams?
1New YorkB1G
2Los AngelesB1G
3ChicagoB1G
4PhiladelphiaB1G
5DallasTCU, SMU
7Washington, DCB1G
8HoustonHouston, Rice
9BostonBoston College
11TampaFSU, Miami, UCF
13DetroitB1G
14SeattleWashington
15MinneapolisB1G
16MiamiMiami, FSU, UCF
17DenverColorado
18OrlandoUCF, FSU, Miami
19ClevelandB1G
21St. Louis???
22CharlotteUNC, Duke
23PittsburghB1G
25PortlandOregon
Thanks for this. Also, Cal and Rice are AAU members.

Thanks for this. Also, Cal and Rice are AAU members.
Yeah I forgot to italicize them. I went back and did Cal, but truthfully there's no way in God's green earth that Rice gets invited to the Big Ten.

They are like the 12th best football team in Texas. I know they're good at baseball but this is really about football and maybe 5% about basketball

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back