• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dynamic offense

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
It’s been a very long time since Nebraska has had a dynamic and intimidating offense. With a veteran OC calling the plays an experienced wide receiver coach along with a seasoned running back coach I can see this offense putting points on the board. If the Huskers are going to win the west they’ll need to put points on the board ( TD’s instead of FG’s) it would be fun to watch Nebraska games be decided by halftime. It’s been a long time since that happened.

Agree it would be wonderful, Line and QB play will be crucial to making it happen. At least Thompson (assuming he wins the job)is used to putting some points on the board. Our D should be decent enough to keep us ahead.

I want an offense that doesn’t turn the ball over. If that’s dynamic then Great. I want the stupid penalties to stop also that to me would be dynamic
We had 18 TOs (11 INTs and 7 fumbles) to our opponents 13.

Iowa led the B1G with 31 turnovers gained
Iowa led the B1G with +11 net turnover margin

NU was 11th in B1G with -5 net turnover margin
NU was 12th in B1G with 11 turnovers gained
NU was tied for 8th in B1G with 18 TOs lost

It could be argued that our defense as good as it was didn’t generate enough TO’s.

It could be argued that our defense as good as it was didn’t generate enough TO’s.
I think this is often overlooked. If Iowa gained 31 turnovers and was +11 in turnover margin, it means that they actually turned the ball over more than we did. The difference is that their defense forced significantly more turnovers.

This is another reason why I'm concerned that the wholesale changes on offense might not have been the right answer. Our offense was often more than serviceable. We would have likely scored significantly more points if we had gotten better field position via turnovers and special teams play.

In the last two seasons combined, we have recovered just 5 of our opponents' fumbles. That's bad.

If we don't find a way to generate turnovers and recapture hidden yards on special teams, it's going to be another challenging season.

In fairness to our defense, they didn't get to pad their stats by playing our offense.

I think this is often overlooked. If Iowa gained 31 turnovers and was +11 in turnover margin, it means that they actually turned the ball over more than we did. The difference is that their defense forced significantly more turnovers.

This is another reason why I'm concerned that the wholesale changes on offense might not have been the right answer. Our offense was often more than serviceable. We would have likely scored significantly more points if we had gotten better field position via turnovers and special teams play.

In the last two seasons combined, we have recovered just 5 of our opponents' fumbles. That's bad.

If we don't find a way to generate turnovers and recapture hidden yards on special teams, it's going to be another challenging season.
I agree with several of your points but my original post was expressing the need for a dominant offense ( one that scores and controls the game) serviceable offenses at best are .500 teams. But great teams also win the turnover battle.

Agreed here.
But a more complete comparison would be to include winning teams vs losing teams turnover margins.
We are nowheres near powerful enough to win majority of games with a losing turnover margin like we were under Bo.
Thats partly due to our D today, but mainly to our offenses inability in consistency, red zone etc scoring.
While scheme and talent got us close, will and exceptional plays were somewhat lacking, and by will I mean rising up to next level like whats needed in red zone, our qbs would often turn it over, thats will to be aware of runs and passes that offer opportunity. No turnovers.

IMO, this isnt coaching, but awareness of the qb, and choice making of the qb.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back