• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

Yep. You've got to get really cold before the passing game has a significant impact (frozen ball becomes harder). November is typically not yet "really cold" in the Midwest. Not like when the NFL is playing in Green Bay in January. Passing still generally operates in the NFL just fine mid-winter.

I think the idea of USC and UCLA struggling to operate their offense in the Midwest in November is likely overblown. Could there be a cold, windy, maybe even snowy game ahead for them? Sure. But could also be 55 degrees and sunny. It's not January -- not even December.

I agree wind (and even precipitation) is more of a threat to a passing game than temperatures.

I agree. IMO Lincoln Riley is going to build a monster at USC. His Oklahoma teams would have done quite well in the B1G. The offensive and defensive systems he ran and the talent he had, his Sooner teams would have been one of the 2 best teams in the B1G every year. And now he'll be able to get even better players and tweak his roster to the conference. He's already recruiting four and five-star guys at the skill positions.

The biggest indicator for how fast he gains on teams like Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan for shared supremacy in the conference will be how formidable his offensive and defensive lines are. And how quickly they get there.

He had some really good offensive lines in Norman, so it's not a foreign concept to him. He should take a page from Ohio State's blueprint. The Buckeyes have an explosive offense that does a lot of damage through the air, just like the Trojans will have. They have five-star talent at QB and (multiple) WRs. USC will have the same thing. What Ohio State also has is one of the best o-lines in the conference every year. I think Riley will make sure the Trojans do too.

This is a great post, but I would add that I don't think Dukes football program is respectable now that Cutcliffe retired. I think if the ACC gets poached and folda, Duke might be left without a power 5 chair.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what Mike Elko does as a first-time head coach. I think he's put a pretty good staff together. I like Trooper Taylor a LOT. That was a great hire for his RB spot. Robb Smith (DC), Jess Simpson (DL), Adam Cushing (OL) and Lyle Hemphill (Safeties) in particular were good hires IMPO.

I agree with all of this. I understand the Washington and Oregon arguments but the idea of completing the national footprint with Clemson, Miami and Florida’s state Before…..and I emphasize the before…..the SEC grabs them.

For what it’s worth we need to get Kansas out of the discussion as you stated.

I think Clemson, Miami and Florida State would prefer the SEC. If given the option, IMPO, they'll pick them over the B1G.

A lot of Notre Dame people on Twitter think that Notre Dame should get a "sweetheart deal" to join the Big Ten. Like OSU and Michigan, or any other conference school, would agree to that. Their fan base is a lot like the Texas fan base. They think they're special and deserve more. Hopefully their administrators don't echo the fan base.

An example:

Freakin pompous asses.

"Every conference wants us" :Lol:

Give me a break. I'd love to listen to their thoughts on joining the SEC lol

I personally have never been around a fan base more arrogant than Notre Dame fans. It's what would happen if you gave Harvard students a top 15 FBS football team and put them on national TV each Saturday.

Maryland. A Union state, but a slave state south of the line. Few now think of Maryland as being part of the slave-holding south because they didn't succeed, but...

This is true. I drove across the Mason-Dixon line hundreds of times when I lived outside of Philly.

Maryland was technically a part of the Union, as you say. Which has me wondering, is every SEC school from a Confederate state and every Big Ten school Union? I think so. Granted, Nebraska wasn't yet a state... but had enough Union presence.

Anyhow, if those end up being the two conference super powers (seems likely), just interesting to see how they build from here.

This is true. I drove across the Mason-Dixon line hundreds of times when I lived outside of Philly.

Maryland was technically a part of the Union, as you say. Which has me wondering, is every SEC school from a Confederate state and every Big Ten school Union? I think so. Granted, Nebraska wasn't yet a state... but had enough Union presence.

Anyhow, if those end up being the two conference super powers (seems likely), just interesting to see how they build from here.

Ah man, you quoted me before I fixed my spelling error. :oops:

What about Baylor.... good football and basketball. Waco is not too far from Dallas/Ft. Worth area? I would say their sports programs are superior to TCU.

A lot of Notre Dame people on Twitter think that Notre Dame should get a "sweetheart deal" to join the Big Ten. Like OSU and Michigan, or any other conference school, would agree to that. Their fan base is a lot like the Texas fan base. They think they're special and deserve more. Hopefully their administrators don't echo the fan base.

An example:

does a swift kick count? ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back