• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

That won’t happen. USC will have LOTS of home games in Nov.
Likely.
But if it does,I'm tuning in.
When living in Cali, I learned what USC stood for, University of Spoiled Children.
According to rumor, not hard to believe, getting the PAC tv contract wasnt of great concern in regards to low in comparison to SEC/Big tv contracts because of USCs wealth/assets.
I guess in the end, dollars are dollars at USC as well.
Great deal for UCLA though.
USC is private, no real numbers, but thats the talk

With the news of UCLA/USC what does Oregon do? I know the PAC has been considered a softer league especially since the USC run ended, but the league now has nothing left. Washington has been down for a bit, I know rich coming from a NU fan. Could the remaining PAC and Big 12 merge and have enough credit comparatively to the B1G and SUC?

Likely.
When living in Cali, I learned what USC stood for, University of Spoiled Children.
According to rumor, not hard to believe, getting the PAC tv contract wasnt of great concern in regards to low in comparison to SEC/Big tv contracts because of USCs wealth/assets.
I would love to see NU in LA in Nov, however. Beats the hell out of temps in Lincoln. Yes, USC is very affluent and elite—and they bring that status and cache to the BIG. Good for all of us really.

I would love to see NU in LA in Nov, however. Beats the hell out of temps in Lincoln. Yes, USC is very affluent and elite—and they bring that status and cache to the BIG. Good for all of us really.
Dont remember details, but it was a SC official that led the PAC tv contracts if I remember correctly with what I remember as no complaints by the other schools on his leadership in such a role.
To me that spells integrity, unlike Texas who sought out their own.

Rumors are that Washington + Oregon have filed applications with the B1G, but that the conference is waiting on Notre Dame.

Likely.

USC is all about buying prestige. They definitely do it on the academic side by hiring (stealing) teams of research faculty from other universities.

That said, I've read some commentators who said that one major reason that USC initiated the move was because the PAC and ACC shot down an expanded college football playoff, which meant much less money for teams in the league. Even for rich schools, having more money is never a bad thing.

Last edited:
USC is all about buying prestige. They definitely do it on the academic side by hiring (stealing) teams of research faculty from other universities.

That said, I've read some commentators who said that one major reason that USC initiated the move was because the PAC and ACC shot down an expanded college football playoff, which meant much less money for teams the league. Even for rich schools, having more money is never a bad thing.
Sounds right.
So,USC gets that money anyways, regardless of play

The main thing that would surprise me at this point would be that the BIG did not expand with at least two more teams in the next couple of weeks. I think those will come from a list of ND, Wash, Or, Stanford and Cal.

I would however also be surprised if they looked to the East to get more teams.

Rumors are that Washington + Oregon have filed applications with the B1G, but that the conference is waiting on Notre Dame.
Gotta think if ND says yes that Oregon, Washington and Stanford follow. If ND stays away and the B1G doesn’t take OR and UW on their own, then those schools and Stanford almost have to regroup and be part of a PAC/Big12 merger of at least 16 schools. Since there are about 22 such schools, a few schools could lose Power Conference status. (Though I guess four of those schools don’t even have that status quite yet).

I think you'll see something happen in the next 25-30 years or so. A developmental NFL league will form and the best will go there instead of college. College will go back to how it was years ago. Worse play than now but local kids.
i disagree, what major sport has a minor league with a major tv contract? nfl? no, nhl? no, nba? no, mlb? nope

fact is tv money goes where the fans are. college football is part of american culture. it will be really difficult for any sport to replace any college sport with a minor league. all other sports still belong to colleges. College basketball is a perfect example fo that. yes you may have one and done players, but they are not going to a minor league. they know the value of college.

The main thing that would surprise me at this point would be that the BIG did not expand with at least two more teams in the next couple of weeks. I think those will come from a list of ND, Wash, Or, Stanford and Cal.

I would however also be surprised if they looked to the East to get more teams.
ESPN keeps reporting 2 super conferences with 20 teams each. More is coming. Trev said it’s just the beginning. How soon? Who knows. But schools are scrambling so they aren’t left out. Thank God we weren’t still languishing in the Big 12.

Quoting myself here ... ;)

Look at Ohio State last year in November games...

CJ Stroud passing yardage:

Nov 8 (at Nebraska): 405 yards
Nov 15 (Purdue): 361 yards
Nov 22 (Michigan St): 432 yards
Nov 29 (at Michigan): 394 yards

TD-INT combined in November games: 15 TD passes, 2 INTs.

Stroud is a native Southern Californian, and those were his first games playing in the Midwest in November. He was averaging about 400 yards passing and 4 TDs per November game last year.

USC and Caleb Williams is a reasonable comparison with Stroud. No, doesn't mean Williams will put up numbers like that. But it also doesn't mean, "oh no, November, I'm going to suck playing in the cold!"
put stroud in nebraskas offense last year and i bet his numbers are slightly better than AM's. supporting cast matters a lot and he benefits from it. when he gets to the nfl, he will be avg....

come on guys, its not the bad in nov, jan/feb is way worse....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back