• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Does PAC-12 Target

Cornhuskers7

Trapped in SEC Country
2 Year Member
PAC-12 will once again become the Pac-10 (at least in number) once USC and UCLA make the move to the B1G. So who should the PAC target as replacements. We are seeing that conference realignment is an arms race, so it would make sense if they add a few teams, but who will those be.

My thoughts:
  • Boise State- Seem like the best of the non-Power 5s at this point. They've been mentioned as a Big 12 target when they were expanding. Geographically it makes sense (although we've seen that doesn't mean much anymore).
  • BYU- Doubt they could flip a team that is already mid-transition to the Big 12, but BYU would be a good fit with their Utah rivalry.
  • Or you make a power play to rip away some of the top Big 12 teams- Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State. With Oklahoma and Texas leaving, the Big 12 is still on shaky ground. Could you convince two or three teams to leave. Personally if I was one of those schools I'd consider it.
  • Hawaii- Not sure Hawaii is good enough in any of the sports anymore to justify pulling them into the PAC. The benefit I could see would be adding trips for all the teams to visit Hawaii each year in different sports. Definitely a selling point.
  • UNLV or Nevada

PAC-12 will once again become the Pac-10 (at least in number) once USC and UCLA make the move to the B1G. So who should the PAC target as replacements. We are seeing that conference realignment is an arms race, so it would make sense if they add a few teams, but who will those be.

My thoughts:
  • Boise State- Seem like the best of the non-Power 5s at this point. They've been mentioned as a Big 12 target when they were expanding. Geographically it makes sense (although we've seen that doesn't mean much anymore).
  • BYU- Doubt they could flip a team that is already mid-transition to the Big 12, but BYU would be a good fit with their Utah rivalry.
  • Or you make a power play to rip away some of the top Big 12 teams- Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State. With Oklahoma and Texas leaving, the Big 12 is still on shaky ground. Could you convince two or three teams to leave. Personally if I was one of those schools I'd consider it.
  • Hawaii- Not sure Hawaii is good enough in any of the sports anymore to justify pulling them into the PAC. The benefit I could see would be adding trips for all the teams to visit Hawaii each year in different sports. Definitely a selling point.
  • UNLV or Nevada
It may be good to be Boise right now, where both the PAC and the Big 12 may come courting due to the current climate.

It may be good to be Boise right now, where both the PAC and the Big 12 may come courting due to the current climate.
Power play by Big 12 would be to go ahead and already snag them, just so PAC can't. There is strength in numbers, and being down to 10 teams leaves you in a potential predicament if someone comes swooping in to try and take 2-4 more.

Power play by Big 12 would be to go ahead and already snag them, just so PAC can't. There is strength in numbers, and being down to 10 teams leaves you in a potential predicament if someone comes swooping in to try and take 2-4 more.
It'd be an easier and better play than trying to snag the Nevada schools imo.

I think teams that are still in PAC that would be hot targets to try to snag would be:
  1. Oregon- Good in a lot of sports. Nike influence. Could see a couple of different conferences wanting to pull them in.
  2. Stanford- The type of school the B1G would drool over. Big endowment, prestigious school. Solid in football, good in a number of the other sports.
  3. Colorado- Could they go back to the Big 12? Did leaving in the first place wear out their welcome?
  4. Utah? Arizona? Cal?

I think teams that are still in PAC that would be hot targets to try to snag would be:
  1. Oregon- Good in a lot of sports. Nike influence. Could see a couple of different conferences wanting to pull them in.
  2. Stanford- The type of school the B1G would drool over. Big endowment, prestigious school. Solid in football, good in a number of the other sports.
  3. Colorado- Could they go back to the Big 12? Did leaving in the first place wear out their welcome?
  4. Utah? Arizona? Cal?
  1. Colorado- Could they go back to the Big 12? Did leaving in the first place wear out their welcome?
I think pride on both sides is going to have to be swallowed as they can't afford to become an afterthought in the new college world order. GBR

PAC + XII remnants can make a 20-team super conference of their own. I highly suspect that TCU and West Virginia will find new homes, which means there are 10 teams left in the Pac-10 and the new Big XII.

This is like a B-List super conference, but perhaps a super conference nonetheless. Depending on what happens with the ACC, there may be some left overs to pick from as well. I'm thinking that Clemson, FSU and Miami see the writing on the wall and are prepared for exit to the B1G or SEC. Probably UNC, too.

I'd like to see a Pitt-WVU-Penn State trio in the Big Ten East.

WestEast
WashingtonKansas
Washington StateKansas State
OregonIowa State
Oregon StateOklahoma State
StanfordBaylor
CalTexas Tech
ArizonaBYU
Arizona StateCincinnati
UtahHouston
ColoradoUCF

4. Utah? Arizona? Cal?

Washington would be in the top 3.

I can see that @DuckTownHusker, although I would say Washington, Stanford, Oregon will be in the B1G, and then Notre Dame goes to the B1G too.

So the Pac and Big 12 would have to go after teams like Boise State, san diego state, etc to fill those holes.

Stanford is going to suck in football soon.

With the early signing period, other schools are putting kids on rosters and giving them NIL money before Stanford can even offer a scholarship.

I can't find the article but it has something to do with kids having to apply for enrollment at Stanford, and they don't hear back regarding said enrollment until well after other teams are early-signing and NIL'ing kids.

Unless you're hellbent on a Stanford diploma, you could get a scholarship at Northwestern, Vandy, etc., and start collecting NIL deals before the Cardinal even tell you if you got in.

The article I read referenced how Shaw turned Stanford into a national power but since early signing, they've languished.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back