• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

Oregon and Washington told by BIG they aren’t adding until they hear from ND. Per Dennis Dodd.
This....B1G only interested in further expansion if ND is part of the package...thus Stanford being in the discussion.

ND has to join a conference now with the SEC and B1G moving toward 20 team super conferences.

Clearly this isn't done. My guess is the next steps wil be done quickly by lots of schools, so the BIG better be moving quickly or it won't sew up the California market. They need Cal and Stanford.

I doubt they will move east. NYC is a big TV market, but it's just not college football in that city. Portland and Seattle are major metro areas, but is it a good idea to put six ex Pac 10 teams in the conference?

I'd button up Caifornia (which is very much southern and northern - two separate areas) and continue to see if something can be figured out with ND (although that school might be a bigger problem in the conference than out of it).

At a minimum need a few more schools because I would guess that the SEC adds the pick of the ACC and that will be a huge (probably out of control) conference. While Maryland is in the BIG, the DC market is more interested in the ACC based on what they put on the sports channels around here.

My usual preface of I haven't read the last 15+ pages on this thread so maybe it has been addressed but a lot of Oregon and Washington going to the B1G out there in the last 1.5 hours. And again, no linkable sources so this post is getting the big RUMOR.

This....B1G only interested in further expansion if ND is part of the package...thus Stanford being in the discussion.

ND has to join a conference now with the SEC and B1G moving toward 20 team super conferences.

I don't think the Big Ten is ONLY interested in further expansion IF it includes Notre Dame. You can't base the future of the entire conference on one team. However, I don't doubt the Big Ten wants Notre Dame more than any other team currently. That's been the case for many years. But if ND still won't budge, I'll bet the Big Ten keeps on expanding without them. While I wouldn't bet on it, I'd be surprised if Notre Dame says "no."

My usual preface of I haven't read the last 15+ pages on this thread so maybe it has been addressed but a lot of Oregon and Washington going to the B1G out there in the last 1.5 hours. And again, no linkable sources so this post is getting the big RUMOR.
Yea. My comment on that is they might be slowed by state interests concerned about what happens to OSU and WSU. The Okie version suggests separation is not impossible, but I would think getting the okays would slow the process at least.

There's also the argument that the B1G should try to poach Virginia and North Carolina. They're some of the few options for the SEC to expand their media footprint, and grabbing them would really hem in the SEC. And academically, those schools are a much better fit for the B1G than for the SEC.

The B1G has been after ND for years and the time may be now. However, lets play devil's advocate - ND would be a HUGE get for the SEC if they pulled it off. It would also be huge for ND.

Never say never.

I foresee Oregon, Washington, California and Stanford to extend applications. I’m hearing also that more applications are on hold until Norte Dame responds on a possible invitation. If Norte Dame accepts, I see California or Stanford not being in the mix. Unless there’s a dark horse out there to pair with Norte Dame and accepting the other 4 PAC-12 schools. This is like an arms race. The SEC is surely to go after ACC teams, so I can see them getting as much football talented schools that they can. Maybe North Carolina and Duke might make sense, if the B1G is interested in any ACC teams moving forward. Clemson, Miami, Florida State and Georgia Tech being SEC acquisitions. A lot of scenarios to pluck through here with all the realignments.

There's also the argument that the B1G should try to poach Virginia and North Carolina. They're some of the few options for the SEC to expand their media footprint, and grabbing them would really hem in the SEC. And academically, those schools are a much better fit for the B1G than for the SEC.

I have heard people thinking about the SEC or Big 10 going after ACC schools. However, I haven’t heard a firm response regarding if all ACC schools signed their Grant of Rights away through the entirety of their current television agreement which runs through 2035-36.

I would think that could be a huge issue in getting some of those teams.

Last edited:

I have heard people thinking about the SEC or Big 10 going after ACC schools. However, I haven’t heard a firm response regarding if all ACC schools signed their Grant of Rights away through the entirety of their current television agreement.

I would think that could be a huge issue in getting some of those teams.

I heard on ESPN that the new B1G + USC/UCLA could ink a +$1B (with a B) deal that pays schools something like $80-100M. Per year.

Those Grants of Rights and Exit Fees are chump change at this point.

I heard on ESPN that the new B1G + USC/UCLA could ink a +$1B (with a B) deal that pays schools something like $80-100M. Per year.

Those Grants of Rights and Exit Fees are chump change at this point.

I have been hearing those figures for weeks even before USC/UCLA.

Would love to see some actual figures what it would cost to get ACC schools out of the conference GOR’s that run through 2035-2036.

I can’t imagine that it is chump change regardless of how large the overall new media rights package will be. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I think the SEC will target ACC teams exclusively.

They can (will) poach the best ACC schools and they won't have to deal with the travel distance and timezone issues the Big Ten will have.

So I am not really on the ball here, and I know time zones may be an issue, but if the SEC schools are all in one time zone you really need to have games on for the most part at 11, 3ish, and 6ish. If you go across multiple time zones you may literally have games on from 7am until 10pm. I'm not sure that makes sense, at least I am trying to tell myself it does. But you can have a west coast team play an east coast team in Cali at 11am West and what 4 or 5pm East, then turn around and have a game at 8pm East and 3 or 4pm west played in PA. Plus everything in between.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back