• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Frost Era

Well Scott Frost disagreed with you. Not to mention a few other people thought he was ready as a Freshman. He was a Freshman All American and Honorable mention All B1G by both coaches and Media. In fact, he was so ready that he was named to the 2019 Maxwell watch list, the Davey Obrian Watch list and the Manning watch list.

But I guess all this was undeserved and SF should have sat him based on what you and some others on here felt. By the way........How did Gebbia and Obrian work out.
SF is 15-28 in 4 years so … there’s that.

2AM started 11 games in year 1 … went 4-7 as a starter.

Yes and arguably year 1 was 2AMs best year.
Gebbia and O‘Brien were mediocre at best … so was 2AM … the point is/was throwing 2AM in as an unprepared true freshman was as damaging to him and his career as it was to NUs overall performance.

SF could’ve eased 2AM into the fray kept Gebbia on the roster at least for another season and probably had the same overall results (if not better). That NU team had Stanley Morgan, JD Speilman, Mo Washington, Jack Stoll and Devine Ozigbo. Arguably the best collection of skill position players in the SF era. Who knows having 2AM start his career coming off the bench might’ve been good for 2AM as well!

I didn't feel like reading all of this, so if some one else already said this, well then I concur. If Frost has another 3 - 9 or 2 - 10 type season, the Akron Zips are knocking on Frosts' door.

This is a ridiculous notion. Why would you start a less superior QB? It’s not like Gebbia had any experience on the field. Best man plays period. Nobody seemed to think AM was a poor choice as a Freshman. Now all of a sudden he was? Maybe it’s AM that transfers if he sees it wasn’t a fair competition.
No one was surprised because most all on here never thought Frost would ever struggle. Frost was a hot commodity, until he wasn’t. We all never expected what we’ve seen. It’s easy, for all of us to go back now, and second guess things. I still think the lightning out game with Akron was huge. Never got the ball rolling, then the Colorado collapse. Just never got any traction to start off. With just a few breaks, you could flip Scott’s record to 29-15, easily. About everything that could go wrong, did. Much is on SF himself, no question, but damn, this team really hasn’t gotten one break go it’s way from day one. Just never had a full head of steam. Been fighting uphill since day one.

Unfortunately, the other teams we play have a say in how the games turn out.

No one is saying a choice must be made between the two options. Either way, the goal would be to fix the problems. But if I was a coach taking over a team, I would rather start with a team winning 9-10 games a season and played in several conference championships than a team that averages 4 wins a season for a prolonged period of time.

I guess that leads to an interesting question. Who is/was closer to a conference championship, Bo when he was fired or Frost in year 5?

I hope the answer is Frost.
I would say Pelini was closer then than Frost is now. That being said, I don't think it is by as large of a margin as our record's would indicate. The benefit with those Pelini teams is that we were normally good to win the games we were supposed to win. That is the reason he was constantly getting 9 win seasons. When you win the games you are supposed to win, you always have a punchers chance. Until Frost's teams can consistently win the games they are "supposed to win", I think Pelini still has the edge.

This is a ridiculous notion. Why would you start a less superior QB? It’s not like Gebbia had any experience on the field. Best man plays period. Nobody seemed to think AM was a poor choice as a Freshman. Now all of a sudden he was? Maybe it’s AM that transfers if he sees it wasn’t a fair competition.

Gebbia had a year of college ball. He’d been through conditioning and spring practice and a weight lifting regime. He’d gone to classes. He had a comfort level with the school, the town, his teammates and everything that is new to a kid arrivin* on campus. He’d taken a snap in game-like situations. ALL of this way more than 2AM.

Go back to this message board that summer. There was plenty who thought TG should’ve been the guy.

2AM had not taken a snap in over year. He certainly wasn’t ready right out of the chute. Best man? Based on what? Experience - No! Throwing ability - No! Accuracy - No!

Less superior QB? Tom Brady is not an elite athlete, he’s not physically the better QB. He’s the best QB because of what is between his ears. Putting 2AM on the field because he’s the best athlete disregards what’s between his ears, his ability to process information, his ability in clutch time, his ability to check down.

Yeah some of this is revisionist thinking that is unprovable from either perspective but 4 years of 45 TDs and 30 INTs and a sub-500 W/L record doesn’t support the 2AM argument.
@Hville is right, there wasn't a soul that thought after that Freshman season that starting Adrian was the wrong move. Heading into sophomore year, Martinez was a darkhorse candidate to win the Heisman. The problem was the regression in Year 2. Some of that could have related to injuries, some of it could have been people figuring out how to defend him.

Sure, Adrian might have been less of a flight risk as a freshman than Gebbia. But, it should say something that like @wcbsas pointed out: Gebbia had a lot of benefits that Adrian didn't, and he still wasn't considered a better option. Adrian also better fit the type of offense Frost wanted to run. Even if we try to be revisionistic, it isn't like Gebbia went on to be a beast when he left NU.

@Hville is right, there wasn't a soul that thought after that Freshman season that starting Adrian was the wrong move. Heading into sophomore year, Martinez was a darkhorse candidate to win the Heisman. The problem was the regression in Year 2. Some of that could have related to injuries, some of it could have been people figuring out how to defend him.

Sure, Adrian might have been less of a flight risk as a freshman than Gebbia. But, it should say something that like @wcbsas pointed out: Gebbia had a lot of benefits that Adrian didn't, and he still wasn't considered a better option. Adrian also better fit the type of offense Frost wanted to run. Even if we try to be revisionistic, it isn't like Gebbia went on to be a beast when he left NU.
Frost bet all his marbles on Martinez, and essentially shut down recruiting on guys who could unseat him. Hoping he learned his lesson there - always, always recruit the guy who could displace your starter. AM wasn't forced to improve his game or sit - he knew he had the job. Wayyy too many marbles in one basket. I'm guessing Scott is learning a bunch from Whip on that deal. Eyes always on the horizon for the next starting qb. Hell, Whip was on Pops Watson when he was in junior high. Purdy early in HS. Coach Fisher tells his DB's "I'm bringing in guys who will take your spot." He levels with them...and they respond.

Last edited:
Maybe Gebbia wasn’t considered the better option because the guy making the decision was using faulty decision making parameters? Is there any doubt that 2AM got the job in part due to an SF’s promise/commitment during recruiting?

I am suggesting that a better play would have been to start Gebbia initially and bring 2AM in as relief and/or mid season replacement once things settled down. You keep a much better QB on the team than having to start Andrew Bunch in a game. 2AM gets time to settle in and maybe learn the game from the sidelines. Maybe some serious coaching on throwing and decision making could’ve been made.

I am NOT suggesting TG was a better option long term. I am suggesting throwing 2AM as a day 1 starter was not the best for him, for the team and for the long term prospects of both.

Last edited:

Frost bet all his marbles on Martinez, and essentially shut down recruiting on guys who could unseat him. Hoping he learned his lesson there - always, always recruit the guy who could displace your starter. AM wasn't forced to improve his game or sit - he knew he had the job. Wayyy too many marbles in one basket. I'm guessing Scott is learning a bunch from Whip on that deal. Eyes always on the horizon for the next starting qb. Hell, Whip was on Pops Watson when he was in junior high. Purdy early in HS. Coach Fisher tells his DB's "I'm bringing in guys who will take your spot." He levels with them...and they respond.
When your QB recruiting after 2AM relies solely on finding diamonds in the rough, you're left with alot of rough.

Maybe Gebbia wasn’t considered the better option because the guy making the decision was using faulty decision making parameters? Is there any doubt that 2AM got the job in part due to an SF’s promise/commitment during recruiting?

I am suggesting that a better play would have been to start Gebbia initially and bring 2AM in as relief and/or mid season replacement once things settled down. You keep a much better QB on the team than having to start Andrew Bunch in a game. 2AM gets time to settle in and maybe learn the game from the sidelines. Maybe some serious coaching on throwing and decision making could’ve been made.

I am NOT suggesting TG was a better option long term. I am suggesting throwing 2AM as a day 1 starter was not the best for him, for the team and for the long term prospects of both.
Another would have been option-- if TG toughed it out and stayed like Smothers he would have got his chance to start a game.

I would be interested in the proof you have that there wasn't any doubt that AM was promised the starting job. I was pretty shocked we went with the Freshman out of the gate and nowhere had I seen during the recruiting process or anytime afterward that AM was given some sort of promise.

Another would have been option-- if TG toughed it out and stayed like Smothers he would have got his chance to start a game.
Would you ... a 3rd year player remain in the program after getting "beat out" by an incoming true freshman?
QB's don't stick around anymore ... especially those interested in becoming a starter. Ewers left tOSU for Texas the moment he knew he wasn't going to win the starting QB role. Jalen Hurts left 'Bama when Tua jumped him on the depth chart.

I would be interested in the proof you have that there wasn't any doubt that AM was promised the starting job. I was pretty shocked we went with the Freshman out of the gate and nowhere had I seen during the recruiting process or anytime afterward that AM was given some sort of promise.
Of course there's no proof but do you seriously think that SF on the recruiting trail didn't strongly suggest 2AM could/would be the starter? The kid was committed to Tennessee before SF lured him late. Do you think their lack of QB recruiting since 2AM had anything to do with promises SF made to 2AM?\

Of course there's no proof but do you seriously think that SF on the recruiting trail didn't strongly suggest 2AM could/would be the starter? The kid was committed to Tennessee before SF lured him late. Do you think their lack of QB recruiting since 2AM had anything to do with promises SF made to 2AM?\
Lack of qb recruiting? I seemed to miss where we stopped counting Smothers and maccaffrey as 4 star recruits the next two years after that.

Lack of qb recruiting? I seemed to miss where we stopped counting Smothers and maccaffrey as 4 star recruits the next two years after that.
McCaffrey was a 3-star and that was buoyed by his last name and NU's recruiting interest.

Smother's in my mind almost doesn't count in the 2AM argument because he arrived in year 4 of the 2AM tenure meaning he realistically was arriving with the assumption that 2AM was the QB for another year then gone. COVID kind of goofed that up a bit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back