• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chuck Neinas, great read, Nebraska and Missouri made mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not questioning the leadership. I was front and center of it in the beginning. Bad decisions were made. No question. Frost and Hoiberg weren’t some of them. They were unanimous hires that have both sucked. Most everyone liked Moos until the last 8-9 months of his tenure. The OU fiasco did him in, and of course, not being there much. Just today, I heard John Hoover, of Sooners SI, in Omaha covering OU in the WS, say, he’s talked to some local folks, and that Frost doesn’t even want to be here anymore, nor, is his head in it, so that could be another issue moving forward. What I’m saying is, Nebraska is not really a fit, athletically, in the BIG, and most nationally say the same thing. Has nothing to do with losing. That was going to happen in the Big 12, had the same decisions been made.
Local folks? Sounds like reputable sources. I'm sure an OU writer has a ton of knowledgeable sources in Omaha.

Many times in life, we make the "right" decision - based on all available data - that turns out later to be the wrong decision. Marriage choices, investments, car purchases, etc.

I think the decision to leave the Big 12 was, at the time, the right decision for Nebraska.

In hindsight, it was a horrible decision.

Many times in life, we make the "right" decision - based on all available data - that turns out later to be the wrong decision. Marriage choices, investments, car purchases, etc.

I think the decision to leave the Big 12 was, at the time, the right decision for Nebraska.

In hindsight, it was a horrible decision.
I disagree. It was still a great decision. NU just made some horrible decisions and horrible hires which resulted in horrible results since the move. With a good AD and coach we'd likely have been very competitive in the Big Ten. Looking back, we were slipping rapidly and often embarrassing ourselves in the last few years of the Big 12, so that in itself should show we were the problem, not the league.

I disagree. It was still a great decision. NU just made some horrible decisions and horrible hires which resulted in horrible results since the move. With a good AD and coach we'd likely have been very competitive in the Big Ten. Looking back, we were slipping rapidly and often embarrassing ourselves in the last few years of the Big 12, so that in itself should show we were the problem, not the league.
It seems obvious, huh?

I guess some prefer to be in what has become a second rate league, the big 12 has become

Long time writer for the Tulsa World. He has a radio show in Tulsa as well. That’s just what he said. Does he suck because he writes things you don’t like or agree with? Just curious.
The two are not related should both be the case. In this instance, everything occurring since last season's end points to exactly the opposite. Frost is completely engaged, active, and pointed. Whether this leads to success is immaterial to the opinion offered.
How would one attract the staff, transfers, and recruits that have signed on thus far if one was "checked out"? Are all these people dunderheads in that they can't recognize checkedoutedness?
And these locals citing inside knowledge would be whom?
Smells of blatherskite and codswallop.

This kind of stuff is idiotic. Why would Frost willingly restructure his contract, forfeiting millions of dollars that were guaranteed to him, if he didn’t want to be in Nebraska? How would he dupe several experienced assistants from an array of secure situations to leave and join his staff at Nebraska if he gave off a sense of ‘not wanting to be here’? How would both portal and high school recruiting IMPROVE in both tempo and quality of players if he was looking for a way to exit?

Frost has made plenty of mistakes, and he’s had some well-earned criticism. But one thing that has never been in doubt is the fact that Nebraska means a lot to him. Maybe he’ll fail and this season will be another disappointment. But he bet heavily on himself with the revised contract.

And I’m sick of sanctimonious Big 12 media folks’ attempts to rewrite the history of the conference. Colorado was a done deal to leave the league before Nebraska committed to the Big 10. Texas could have embraced committing the media rights and a conference TV network with equity for all members. Tom asked for a 10 year contractual commitment. Texas refused, which was a clear signal they wanted a free hand to leave, not to mention the mess their Longhorn Network introduced. Ironically, the league DID have members commit media rights in a similar fashion after Missouri left. It’s the reason OU and Texas have such a high exit fee and appear poised to wait until 2025 rather than leaving early. The exit penalty has teeth precisely because they implemented what Tom Osborne had requested of them, which Deloss Dodds would not agree to at the time. Texas was asking everyone else to give assurances, but would not do so themselves.

Moreover, we can look back historically now and see exactly how foolish it would have been to stay in the Big 12. Nebraska’s struggles in the Big 10 have been self-inflicted. But it was poor leadership and bad hires, not the conference. The recruiting has been good enough to maintain a Top 25 caliber program. The fact that the program fell this far had more to do with other catastrophic mistakes which would have happened in the Big 12 too. It’s a false narrative that ‘losing Texas’ was the problem. Devaney and Osborne didn’t ‘have Texas’ when they built the program.

I sure don’t blame Frost for declining an interview with someone who would leak such unprofessional rumors in the heat of recruiting season. If you’re quoting accurately, I’d say he’s wise to ignore this Tulsa reporter.
I didn’t say it, Hoover did. As to where he got his info, somewhere in Nebraska, where he has been for 10 days now. That’s what he said. As for the Big 12, leaving 90 years of history has ramifications. OU and Texas will find the same thing most likely, although OU is better positioned for this move with its current leadership. All kinds of different things out there about what happened with the Big 12. I don’t blame NU for leaving. It’s got more money now. Better academic structure, and **** sports teams overall.

The two are not related should both be the case. In this instance, everything occurring since last season's end points to exactly the opposite. Frost is completely engaged, active, and pointed. Whether this leads to success is immaterial to the opinion offered.
How would one attract the staff, transfers, and recruits that have signed on thus far if one was "checked out"? Are all these people dunderheads in that they can't recognize checkedoutedness?
And these locals citing inside knowledge would be whom?
Smells of blatherskite and codswallop.
Money will attract anyone. No one was trying to hire Whipple, his salary went way up. Mickey played here, and Donovan got a hefty raise, and an opportunity. As to whether Frost is engaged, who knows. I would hope so, but he sure looks lost often. Send him a message on Twitter and ask him. He didn’t offer that up. I swear, some are such freakin homers that they refuse to think of anything outside their own zone.

Local folks? Sounds like reputable sources. I'm sure an OU writer has a ton of knowledgeable sources in Omaha.
Dude, he’s been around a longtime. Message him on Twitter and ask him. He knows most every longtime sports writer in Nebraska. Remember, they used to be a league foe. He’s got more connections that you will ever have, and I’m not defending him. It was probably more opinion based.

There were no embarrassments the last ‘few’ years of the Big 12. Should have been 2 Big 12 titles. 2002-2007, you’d have a point.

I didn’t say it, Hoover did. As to where he got his info, somewhere in Nebraska, where he has been for 10 days now. That’s what he said. As for the Big 12, leaving 90 years of history has ramifications. OU and Texas will find the same thing most likely, although OU is better positioned for this move with its current leadership. All kinds of different things out there about what happened with the Big 12. I don’t blame NU for leaving. It’s got more money now. Better academic structure, and **** sports teams overall.
What history is Texas leaving? They've already destroyed their ties to history. A couple decades in a tumultuous Big 12 isn't anything special. They have the Red River rivalry, and that's about it. Presumedly the SEC will find a way to continue that annual game. Arguably the Longhorns can IMPROVE their historical connection by renewing the A&M battles. But they blew up the Southwestern Conference, and now the Big 12.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are the most interesting part of this SEC move, in terms of impact on history. What relationship will exist between those schools going forward? We believed they had to be a package deal, and this is what prevented the Pac 12 move a decade or so ago. Apparently that has changed.

I disagree that OU leadership is in a better position for an SEC move. They have an unknown commodity at head coach. I think its a lot more likely OU is on par with a school like current Florida than that they will do battle with Georgia and Alabama. They're going to be exposed to be a rung below, an also-ran in conference play. Before this season is over, I predict that there will be rumblings that OU hired the wrong guy in Venables. He may be a 'good' head coach, but not a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back