• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompsons thumb

I'd like to see Haarberg come out swinging this fall, dude has an arm that Whipple is looking for. Deceptive speed as well.
The battle at backup QB will be interesting Smothers, Haarberg and Purdy could all be worthy ... will be nice to see what they can do with some certified coaching!

I'm somewhat concerned that this dude may be damaged goods. It's been 8 months and his thumb is still receiving treatment, and he is not at his normal regime in throwing either. I'm really hoping he is back at full speed for the season.
Depending on the injury a thumb injury can be very troublesome. They can linger forever and in many cases never ever get back to 100%.

I’m still blown away that it’s just assumed Thompson is the guy. Why? Because he came from Texas? They’ve not done squat either. He isn’t what I’d call a special player, at least he hasn’t been. Not saying he can’t be, but it floors me that it’s just assumed he’s the guy. If he is, why is Smothers, Purdy, and Haarberg still here?

As far as his injury goes, if he isn’t, won’t, or can’t get back to 100%, then he should NOT play unless absolutely necessary. I’m absolutely sick of injured, 60% players playing. Haven’t we all seen enough of this type of nonsense over the past 4 years? I know he has a bunch of fans on here, but I watched this guy crap down his leg against OU with a 28 point lead and do nothing in the second half of that game. Concerning to me. I’d still rather it be just about anyone else, but I’m pulling hard for Smothers to get an equal shot. Kid has put in the work and his attitude can not be questioned. Looks like a gamer as well, something this program has lacked for years.

I’m still blown away that it’s just assumed Thompson is the guy. Why? Because he came from Texas? They’ve not done squat either. He isn’t what I’d call a special player, at least he hasn’t been. Not saying he can’t be, but it floors me that it’s just assumed he’s the guy. If he is, why is Smothers, Purdy, and Haarberg still here?

As far as his injury goes, if he isn’t, won’t, or can’t get back to 100%, then he should NOT play unless absolutely necessary. I’m absolutely sick of injured, 60% players playing. Haven’t we all seen enough of this type of nonsense over the past 4 years? I know he has a bunch of fans on here, but I watched this guy crap down his leg against OU with a 28 point lead and do nothing in the second half of that game. Concerning to me. I’d still rather it be just about anyone else, but I’m pulling hard for Smothers to get an equal shot. Kid has put in the work and his attitude can not be questioned. Looks like a gamer as well, something this program has lacked for years.
Smothers working with a true QB coach might be what he needs to take the next step. He might surprise us all.

Can't agree more. Is there that much a drop off between Thompson and Purdy? In another thread it referenced Purdy and the game against NC State; in the same context watch last year's game between Texas and Iowa St. Thompson got yanked.

What will be the death nail for Frost is he again goes with "Thompson is our guy" and has blinders on with considering back ups. I get it that previous years there was a significant drop off but that goes to the fault of developing and retaining back up QB's. This year there is not that issue.

That was actually the game in which his thumb was hurt in. He did throw for 5 TDs with 0 interceptions.

To your point, I'm not sure I'd call him special either. At least to this point yet. But he was pretty good last year despite the injury. The biggest issue Texas had last year was that their defense was atrocious. They gave up over 600 yards to Oklahoma that day.

Can't agree more. Is there that much a drop off between Thompson and Purdy? In another thread it referenced Purdy and the game against NC State; in the same context watch last year's game between Texas and Iowa St. Thompson got yanked.

What will be the death nail for Frost is he again goes with "Thompson is our guy" and has blinders on with considering back ups. I get it that previous years there was a significant drop off but that goes to the fault of developing and retaining back up QB's. This year there is not that issue.
I didn’t see a significant drop off with Smothers in the game against Iowa. He gave the Huskers a real shot to win that game. Like I just mentioned, this is the head coaches hand picked recruit. What does that say about the HC if the guy never plays?

That was actually the game in which his thumb was hurt in. He did throw for 5 TDs with 0 interceptions.

To your point, I'm not sure I'd call him special either. At least to this point yet. But he was pretty good last year despite the injury. The biggest issue Texas had last year was that their defense was atrocious. They gave up over 600 yards to Oklahoma that day.
He didn’t do anything in the second half except 3 and outs. The QB has to make a play to stem the momentum tide they were under. He didn’t do that. I don’t know, maybe he’ll kill it here, maybe a change of scenery will do him good? Who knows, but I’ve certainly not seen anything special out of him to make me feel certain of his abilities. We shall see.

There is no way to know how the season will unfold and the health of players.

Experience alone really leans in Thompson's favor though. He's got 10 stars under him at the Power 5 level and he's played in 19 games overall. He's attempted 290 passes overall.

By comparison, Purdy has one start and has played three overall. He's attempted 53 passes.

Smothers has one start and nine overall appearances. He's attempted 33 passes so far.

He didn’t do anything in the second half except 3 and outs. The QB has to make a play to stem the momentum tide they were under. He didn’t do that. I don’t know, maybe he’ll kill it here, maybe a change of scenery will do him good? Who knows, but I’ve certainly not seen anything special out of him to make me feel certain of his abilities. We shall see.

388 yards passing, 5 TD, 0 picks in that game, and we're gonna a criticize his play? I can't even remember the last time an NU qb had a stat line like that against a good team.

I've mentioned this a couple times before ....

Thompson is the only quarterback on our roster with significant playing time. BTW, none of our quarterbacks have played on teams that have "done squat."

The issue as to why experience matters is because Frost is on the hot seat, with a contract structured to release him during or following the season. It may be that Smothers, Purdy, or Haarberg have higher ceilings than Thompson -- but there's also a bunch more unknown with all of them. The staff doesn't have the luxury of looking for a QB to build/develop for the future. Their jobs are on the line. They must win now. So unless Purdy, Smothers, or Haarberg looks clearly better than Thompson, they can't chance it. Granted, if Thompson is still injured in a couple months, they may be forced to go another direction.

388 yards passing, 5 TD, 0 picks in that game, and we're gonna a criticize his play? I can't even remember the last time an NU qb had a stat line like that against a good team.
It's also a little bit of hyperbole to say that he didn't do anything in the 2nd half. His production was largely tilted towards the first half and there were a few three and outs in the 2nd. But they still had two scores (FG and a TD pass by CT). They scored almost 50 points. The failure in that game was the defense.

FYI, it's death knell.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back