• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

After dropping to 46th in the standings Thursday, Nebraska athletics is flirting with its worst-ever finish in the Director's Cup.

Football is back headed the right direction. Athletic department is going to be in good financial position, facilities are getting an upgrade, doing well in the NIL money. Who really cares?

Football is back headed the right direction. Athletic department is going to be in good financial position, facilities are getting an upgrade, doing well in the NIL money. Who really cares?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I think many care. We may be a “football school,” but when sucking at football, also sucking at every other men’s sport (except being ok in wrestling and gymnastics) well, sucks. Trev still has work to do.

I think many care. We may be a “football school,” but when sucking at football, also sucking at every other men’s sport (except being ok in wrestling and gymnastics) well, sucks. Trev still has work to do.
Please don't take my lack of caring in the Directors cup with not caring about the sports period. I want all of our teams to be great. Nebraska starts at a disadvantage to begin with in my opinion. We don't have the population to draw from for those, what I call 'olympic sports'. We are never going to have the numbers of locals to fill those spots in track, swimming, tennis, golf, etc. that a Stanford (or any big state like Cali, florida, texas) have. Maybe its an excuse, don't really care. Nebraska has to focus on the big boy/girl sports and yes there we have not done a good job, no argument.

Context needs to be used here. Nebraska's best finish was 20-21 and they were 35th. Now we are looking at 46 and we are panicking? They dropped 11 spots out of 137 teams. While 'not caring about the finish' might be strong, I just don't think we are in that bad of shape. This is the press trying to incite panic.

It also looks to me like we are not comparing apples to apples. Not sure how it works, but does the school get to pick the 10 best sports they want counted? Skiing, Fencing, hockey.

I get I am making a lot of excuses/reasons here, but I just can't get upset over the Directors Cup, now the lack of progress in Men's basketball and football, absolutely there is an issue but I believe it is will get better.

Please don't take my lack of caring in the Directors cup with not caring about the sports period. I want all of our teams to be great. Nebraska starts at a disadvantage to begin with in my opinion. We don't have the population to draw from for those, what I call 'olympic sports'. We are never going to have the numbers of locals to fill those spots in track, swimming, tennis, golf, etc. that a Stanford (or any big state like Cali, florida, texas) have. Maybe its an excuse, don't really care. Nebraska has to focus on the big boy/girl sports and yes there we have not done a good job, no argument.

Context needs to be used here. Nebraska's best finish was 20-21 and they were 35th. Now we are looking at 46 and we are panicking? They dropped 11 spots out of 137 teams. While 'not caring about the finish' might be strong, I just don't think we are in that bad of shape. This is the press trying to incite panic.

It also looks to me like we are not comparing apples to apples. Not sure how it works, but does the school get to pick the 10 best sports they want counted? Skiing, Fencing, hockey.

I get I am making a lot of excuses/reasons here, but I just can't get upset over the Directors Cup, now the lack of progress in Men's basketball and football, absolutely there is an issue but I believe it is will get better.
You are not wrong that there are fairness issues depending on how many and which sports are plAyed. Everybody has to count MBB, WBB, baseball and womens volleyball. Then the next best 15 finishes in any sport and gender. Stanford plays like 36 sports so has a lot to choose from, including some not played by a lot of schools.

But you are wrong about Nebraska’s best finishes. Throughout the 1990s, when Bill Byrne was athletic director, Nebraska routinely finished in the top 10 of the Directors’ Cup standings, peaking with fourth place in 1996-97. The last top-10 finish was sixth in 1999-2000.

You are not wrong that there are fairness issues depending on how many and which sports are plAyed. Everybody has to count MBB, WBB, baseball and womens volleyball. Then the next best 15 finishes in any sport and gender. Stanford plays like 36 sports so has a lot to choose from, including some not played by a lot of schools.

But you are wrong about Nebraska’s best finishes. Throughout the 1990s, when Bill Byrne was athletic director, Nebraska routinely finished in the top 10 of the Directors’ Cup standings, peaking with fourth place in 1996-97. The last top-10 finish was sixth in 1999-2000.

That was a long time ago, but point made. I still think it will be tough for Nebraska to move up very far.

"The success of Nebraska’s bowling and gymnastics teams have positioned the athletic department for its best Director’s Cup finish in nearly a decade — and perhaps longer.
After the men’s and women’s track teams helped the Huskers jump 63 spots in the mid-winter standings, top 25 finishes from bowling and gymnastics have pushed NU to 19th overall in the Cup standings. Nebraska’s current point total is higher than last year’s full total, almost guaranteeing a better result than 2021-2022, when the Huskers finished a school-worst 49th."
"The Huskers haven’t been in the top 30 since finishing 27th in 2015-2016, and haven’t finished in the top 25 since 2013-2014, when a 23rd-place result was fueled by both Nebraska basketball teams making the NCAA Tournament. Neither did so in 2022-2023, but Nebraska got strong contributions from both indoor track and field teams, bowling (third at the NCAA Championships), men’s gym (fifth) and women’s gym (25th)."
"Overall, the Big Ten occupies six of the top 20 spots in the Cup standings — OSU, PSU, UM, Wisconsin (10th), Minnesota (14th) and NU. "

With NU Men & Women currently ranked in the top 15 in Outdoor Track and Field we should be rising up from the 19th spot.

Last edited:

These are all the sports NU scored points for, and the assigned National rank — 8 women’s sports and 4 men’s sports.
W Golf 49; W T&F 8; Softball 17; W Bowling 3; W Gym 25; W In T&F 14; Volleyball 9; Rifle 6; M Gym 5; M Wres 8; M T&F 17; M In T&F 8.
The obvious downside is no points in football, men’s and women’s basketball, and baseball — four of the five biggest sports

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back