• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEBRASKA Better or worse? Previewing Nebraska's offense in 2022

I think it fair to say that Huskers hold a pent up energy that is waiting for a reason to play well. Frost has struggled to find the form he wants, but I've no doubt that he knows it when he sees it. I suspect that should things turn for the positive, they will do so in a resolute manner.
It is a make or break season, with all the attendant pressure that provides, but the potential energy is likely to spell a very clear outcome for all to see. This won't be a so-so campaign. Feast or flop.

In answer to the question, I don't expect them to be worse. As for anything beyond that, I'll keep my money in my pocket, cause I just can't decipher all the unknowns.

What is the best season a first year coach with new staff ever had? We are all new on O......Bo P got us to a better spot quick. That is what I hold on to tightly. However, SF ain't Bo P. Too many new people. Too many unknowns. I think its a toss up whether we do better or not and it will largely come down to the lines.

This is one of the most unpredictable seasons I can ever recall. We have enough talent but can this staff do something with it. We will be favored in our first three games. Even at 3-1 we’d be favored for the next 5 games to get us to 8-1 going into Michigan. Probably still be the dog but 8-2 hosting Wisconsin would make us the favorite and same thing at Iowa. Easy peasy….win the ones you should and lose the ones you should and we are 10-2. Now losing some along the way that we are favored in brings more games that we are the dogs into play.

The author of the article from Saturday Tradition leads me to think that by Thanksgiving or so, we'll all be able to say that now we know the rest of the story...

This article lost all credibility when it said, ‘one thing Nebraska has never struggled with in Frosts tenure is running the football’. What? What on earth have they been watching? The running game was Martinez, and a mix by committee of backs, most of which were never allowed to find a groove before another back was in the game. While it had stretches of decent running, imo, they never fully would commit to a dominant ground game. I would call the Nebraska run game under Frost, erratic at best, with the best being Ozigbo in season 1.
Because even though it was all Martinez, it still worked. He averaged almost 5 yards per carry in his career; I think a better way to word it would've been "the Huskers have never struggled putting up rushing yards" or something like that because we do move the ball with the QB run, just not so much the RBs

Because even though it was all Martinez, it still worked. He averaged almost 5 yards per carry in his career; I think a better way to word it would've been "the Huskers have never struggled putting up rushing yards" or something like that because we do move the ball with the QB run, just not so much the RBs
It was mostly erratic rushing yardage between the 20’s. Even at that, it was never consistent, at least that’s what I was watching. Occasionally, when they went with it, they’d have some success, only to get pass happy in the same drive and kill it.

Last edited:
Here are some more meaningful stats on our offense.

While we were #32 in passing yards, but were #107 in INT % and #103 in sacked %
While we were #23 in yards per play and #37 in yards per game, but were #79 in scoring
We were #103 in turnover margin
We were #127 in FG conversion %
We were #111 in Red Zone scoring

Teams hung back, let us get some yards and then tightened in the red zone where we would be more likely to take a critical sack, miss an open receiver, turn it over, or miss a FG.

And that is the problem with this article. Better is not going to be measured in yards, but in executing on the opportunity when present.

It was mostly erratic rushing yardage between the 20’s. Even at that, it was never consistent, at least that’s what I was watching. Occasionally, when they went with it, they’d have some success, only to get pass happy in the same drive and kill it.
Thing is, numbers vs effect.
Tell half the story, point to numbers.
Say so many close games, almost there, ignore pass and run effectiveness.
We are capable, just have to put it together, win a few for the defense, dominate when able.
Learn how to win.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back