• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Portal Watch

We lost around 60% of innings pitched from 2021, including our Friday & Saturday starters plus All American closer, and we were still top 3 in the B1G and respectful nationally in 2022.

So far, we've lost 1 guy (Frank) that we wanted back. Around 60% of innings pitched in 2022 return for the 2023 season, from eligible players.
I guess my question is, how can they get any better when they are going to be throwing guys that got shelled or could not throw strikes this year? Is it a pitching coach issue? Maybe they just need a year to see how they want to proceed? I just do not remember the turnover being so high, and yes, the Portal exacerbated this issue of transferring. Go Big Red and here is to finding our footing for next year.

Pitching is going to be the least of our concerns next year (assuming Shay and Emmitt both come back).

If Griff comes back we’ll have 4 bats returning (GA, Max, Brice, and Griff). Offense and defense (not pitching) was our issue this year and sets up to be our issue again next year.

We need at least 2 outfielders, two infielders and a DH to come in this off season and really would be nice to have 3 each. All need to be able to field better and hit better than we did this year.

Of course if we lose half our arms again by week three who knows…

Is it a pitching coach issue?

Huh!?

Below is entire 2022 season...

B1G pitching rankings (13 teams)
#1 BB (lowest of any conference team)
#2 Earned runs total
#3 ERA
#3 Hits allowed
#4 BAA
#10 K's
#11 Runs allowed (really good)

B1G hitting rankings (13 teams)
#5 K's (5th most isn't good, w/ the below)
#10 Runs scored
#10 RBI (tied)
#10 OB %
#12 Average
#12 Hits
#12 Total bases
#12 Slugging %

B1G conference games only & pitching had mostly better (the most important ones) numbers while the offense was equally as bad or worse.

Last edited:
Huh!?

#2 Earned runs total
#3 ERA
#3 Hits allowed
#4 BAA
#10 K's

#10 Runs scored
#10 RBI (tied)
#10 OB %
#12 Average
#12 Hits
#12 Total bases
#12 Slugging %

B1G conference games only & pitching had mostly better (the most important ones) numbers while the offense was equally as bad or worse.
I must have watched all the clunker games. And yes, our offense was not good.

Huh!?

#2 Earned runs total
#3 ERA
#3 Hits allowed
#4 BAA
#10 K's

#10 Runs scored
#10 RBI (tied)
#10 OB %
#12 Average
#12 Hits
#12 Total bases
#12 Slugging %

Very telling. Am I to understand we were eight places lower in runs allowed versus ERA? If so, yuck. By the way, seeing even in early games of Super Regionals, elite staffs get hit. Husker offense has to get a LOT better!

Very telling. Am I to understand we were eight places lower in runs allowed versus ERA? If so, yuck.

You're reading it wrong. It means we were 11 of 13 teams in lowest total runs allowed. (In other words, 3rd best) It's why I added (really good) behind it.

You're reading it wrong. It means we were 11 of 13 teams in lowest total runs allowed. (In other words, 3rd best) It's why I added (really good) behind it.
Far more sensible! Though I was thinking in the context of our uncharacteristically crummy defense this year. Thanks for your posts on here.

22 newcomers, 15 are JUCO/portal. We're looking for 1 more, possibly 2.

The roster overhaul is complete.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back