• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Per ESPN we took a step back at QB

I’m not sure what “Nebraska family” you are referring too. Is it the one who understands the role of the supporting cast and the staff around him or the one that has been blaming him for three years for all our problems. The poor guy has been under constant criticism since his sophomore year.
We have fans butt hurt that he said he wants to win. Maybe they are the ones who should be keeping their mouth shut and not burning bridges with AM.

burning bridges with AM? What bridges? AM can’t offer anything to the average Nebraska fan. :Lol:

But the Nebraska family I’m talking about is the network of people willing to give an economic opportunity to an ex football player who played his heart out and showed a lot of character in representing the state. Those are the types of bridges I’m talking about. He doesn’t have a lot of wins to his name and fair minded people will recognize it was not all his fault. But what he has going for him is his reputation as a class act. He shouldn’t squander that.

:Lol: You are talking about the guy who renegotiated his contract to get more time, right?

Maybe you will be right an SF will trash the university and program on his way out if he ends up being fired. But I’m not seeing that as part of his character. I know some of you guys really hate the guy, but geez. Give it a rest.

I think there is a big chance that some members of Huskermax may go “full Pelini” if the team improves in 2022 and SF continues to the coach, but I don’t see SF going there. :Rolf:
Renegotiated his contract?? Now that’s the ultimate bury your head in the sand comment and a new level of denial for even you, SF still hasn’t gotten over a few fans booing him in 96 but I’m sure he would quietly go about his business if fired,

Renegotiated his contract?? Now that’s the ultimate bury your head in the sand comment and a new level of denial for even you, SF still hasn’t gotten over a few fans booing him in 96 but I’m sure he would quietly go about his business if fired,
yes, he did renegotiate his contract. I thought you knew.

I think you may be living in an alternate universe and see what you want to see. Bo Pelini didn’t become BP on the way out the door. He reacted to his firing exactly how one would have expected hI’m to act based on his actions over his tenure here.

I don‘t see SF acting out the way Bo did when things have gone badly. So, I don’t expect to see him suddenly change if things don’t work out. I expect him to continue to be the same person he has been regardless of what happens.

But I don’t know SF the way you do. You probably have a lot of deep insights I don’t have access to. But if he is asked to move on, it really doesn’t matter how he takes it. The end result will be the same. SF is set for life.

AM is just starting his.

yes, he did renegotiate his contract. I thought you knew.

I think you may be living in an alternate universe and see what you want to see. Bo Pelini didn’t become BP on the way out the door. He reacted to his firing exactly how one would have expected hI’m to act based on his actions over his tenure here.

I don‘t see SF acting out the way Bo did when things have gone badly. So, I don’t expect to see him suddenly change if things don’t work out. I expect him to continue to be the same person he has been regardless of what happens.

But I don’t know SF the way you do. You probably have a lot of deep insights I don’t have access to. But if he is asked to move on, it really doesn’t matter how he takes it. The end result will be the same. SF is set for life.

AM is just starting his.
A renegotiation would typically involve two willing parties sitting down to iron out a mutually benficial agreement between the employee and the employer. I guess you could argue benefit to SF as his rear was spared for at least a season and in spite of the PAY CUT and buy out reduction still managed to retain employment. It's a pretty liberal use of the word but have at it if that is how you want to paint the picture. For future reference I will not enroll in Renegotiation Strategies 101 led by Scott Frost.

A renegotiation would typically involve two willing parties sitting down to iron out a mutually benficial agreement between the employee and the employer. I guess you could argue benefit to SF as his rear was spared for at least a season and in spite of the PAY CUT and buy out reduction still managed to retain employment. It's a pretty liberal use of the word but have at it if that is how you want to paint the picture. For future reference I will not enroll in Renegotiation Strategies 101 led by Scott Frost.
Well, that’s what happened here. Two parties got together and came to a mutually beneficial deal. Frost gave up a 20 million dollar buyout in exchange for more time. He gave up some salary and some of the buyout. That’s what negotiation is about. Both sides give.

Now, stop hijacking this thread and let’s talk about a media outlet claiming NU is in a worse position at QB.

I disagree because we seem to have a guy with a different skill set that may better fit this offensive game plan. We also seem to have more weapons to throw to. We also seem to have some backups that show promise.

But we won’t know until the fall.

Did we take a step back? I don't know, and won't know until we see action on the field. One thing that has been mentioned a LOT over the past few years deals with 2AM's ability to win, especially in crunch time. There is a perception that he is lacking in that ability, so I decided to take a look at it.

I'll start this by saying that I've been a big 2AM fan. I think he's a tremendous athlete, wonderful spokesperson, and great role model. His pure athleticism put us into great position to win many games. Unfortunately, there were some shortcomings that resulted in a lot of losses. Was it all on 2AM? Or was it due to coaching, play calling, o-line, lack of a running game, receivers not getting open, poor ST play that put the O in bad field position or bad overall game position, or defensive issues? I don't know, and arguments can be made for all of it.

With that said, however, I decided to look at 2AM's play late in games. I started by trying to define "clutch" play as a late-game drive where the team needed a score to tie or take the lead, but as I went through the games, I began to recall those games/situations (I know, it was painful) and felt there were many more "clutch" type situations during the fourth quarter where a drive for a score was "clutch": when we needed a score to extend a fragile lead, or when a score was needed to put us in position to possibly pull off the win. For example, there were many games where we entered the fourth quarter tied, or really close, so a drive for a score, even early in the quarter was crucial. Therefore, rather than an objective set of criteria (e.g., limited time remaining, one-score differential, etc.), I went with a subjective set of criteria based on whether the NU drive was crucial: if we needed a score or drive to make it competitive, tie it, take the lead, win it, or ice the game.

I'll caveat my results by saying I don't give a 100% guarantee on all of the numbers. I went through the play-by-play of every game from 2018-2021. I think I have everything correct, but may have missed an attempt, completion, or something. Additionally, I did not calculate the times 2AM did something great with his feet. This exercise was simply to look at overall performance, and passing proficiency.

Overall: 2AM was 14-24 overall, a 36.8% win percentage. In those 38 games, there were 23 with "clutch" situations in the fourth quarter (again, my subjective assessment where NU was either in need of a score to either put them in position to be competitive, tie, take the lead, or extend a tight lead). That means we were in close, suspenseful games in the fourth quarter 60.5% of the time (that's a lot of close games). As the starter, 2AM was 4-19 in those close games, for a 17.4% win percentage. And, those four wins were against MSU (7-6 final record) in 2018, IL (6-7) in 2019, and Purdue (2-4) and Rutgers (3-6) in 2020.

Overtime Games and Turnovers: One disturbing thing I found (and we all knew and carried that feeling in our gut during clutch times) was that OT and TOs were not good for 2AM and NU. There were three OT games during the 2AM/SF era, and we were 0-3 in those OT games. Two were lost because of INTs (NW in 2018 and MSU in 2021) and the other ended when 2AM took a 7-yard sack (NEVER take a sack, just throw it away) on 3rd and 9 against CO in 2019 (making it a 48-yard FG attempt that was missed).

Turnovers plagued 2AM for his entire career. I know others have mentioned his NCAA-leading stats regarding fumbles, but both, INTs and fumbles, seemed to come at the wrong time. In those 23 games with "clutch" situations, 11 games (including the two OT games mentioned above) involved at least one 2AM turnover (INT or fumble) on a "clutch" drive. That's a game-killing 4th quarter turnover in almost half of the close games (47.8% of the time). You can't win many close games with a late TO.

QB Passing Stats: For his career at NU, 2AM was 670-1055 for 45 TDs and 30 INTs. That gives him an overall completion percentage of 63.5%, TDs on 4.3% of attempts, INTs on 2.8% of throws, and a TD-to-INT ratio of 1.5. In "clutch" 4th quarter drives, he was 127-215 for 5 TDs and 11 INTs. That's a "clutch" completion percentage of 59.1% (a little worse than overall, but not much of a difference), TDs on only 2.3% of attempts (almost half his overall TD rate), INTs on 5.1% (much higher INT rate), and a TD-to-INT ratio of 0.45. That TD-to-INT ratio is very drastic. He threw more than twice as many INTs as TDs in 4th quarter "clutch" situations.

Again, I was a big 2AM fan. I felt he put us position to win games (sometimes single-handedly), and he was a wonderful young man, representing the university very well, and he gave everything he had. But, this information puts stats behind some of the feelings many of us had during crunch time in games. As I said before, it obviously wasn't all on him. Blame for poor performances can be given to many. I was somewhat torn when I heard he was going to transfer, but ultimately thought it was the best thing for him, SF, and Nebraska.

Last edited:

Could it be that ESPN is right? It wouldn’t do much for the credibility of those that find it easier to blame the QB than the head coach for Nebraska’s struggling.
We shall see. KSU was 6-7 last year with a much easier schedule. We were 3-9. If casey leads us to a better record with the same oline that you all like to blame. And KSU does not make a bowl. Then what will you say?

Did we take a step back? I don't know, and won't know until we see action on the field. One thing that has been mentioned a LOT over the past few years deals with 2AM's ability to win, especially in crunch time. There is a perception that he is lacking in that ability, so I decided to take a look at it.

I'll start this by saying that I've been a big 2AM fan. I think he's a tremendous athlete, wonderful spokesperson, and great role model. His pure athleticism put us into great position to win many games. Unfortunately, there were some shortcomings that resulted in a lot of losses. Was it all on 2AM? Or was it due to coaching, play calling, o-line, lack of a running game, receivers not getting open, poor ST play that put the O in bad field position or bad overall game position, or defensive issues? I don't know, and arguments can be made for all of it.

With that said, however, I decided to look at 2AM's play late in games. I started by trying to define "clutch" play as a late-game drive where the team needed a score to tie or take the lead, but as I went through the games, I began to recall those games/situations (I know, it was painful) and felt there were many more "clutch" type situations during the fourth quarter where a drive for a score was "clutch": when we needed a score to extend a fragile lead, or when a score was needed to put us in position to possibly pull off the win. For example, there were many games where we entered the fourth quarter tied, or really close, so a drive for a score, even early in the quarter was crucial. Therefore, rather than an objective set of criteria (e.g., limited time remaining, one-score differential, etc.), I went with a subjective set of criteria based on whether the NU drive was crucial: if we needed a score or drive to make it competitive, tie it, take the lead, win it, or ice the game.

I'll caveat my results by saying I don't give a 100% guarantee on all of the numbers. I went through the play-by-play of every game from 2018-2021. I think I have everything correct, but may have missed an attempt, completion, or something. Additionally, I did not calculate the times 2AM did something great with his feet. This exercise was simply to look at overall performance, and passing proficiency.

Overall: 2AM was 14-24 overall, a 36.8% win percentage. In those 38 games, there were 23 with "clutch" situations in the fourth quarter (again, my subjective assessment where NU was either in need of a score to either put them in position to be competitive, tie, take the lead, or extend a tight lead). That means we were in close, suspenseful games in the fourth quarter 60.5% of the time (that's a lot of close games). As the starter, 2AM was 4-19 in those close games, for a 17.4% win percentage. And, those four wins were against MSU (7-6 final record) in 2018, IL (6-7) in 2019, and Purdue (2-4) and Rutgers (3-6) in 2020.

Overtime Games and Turnovers: One disturbing thing I found (and we all knew and carried that feeling in our gut during clutch times) was that OT and TOs were not good for 2AM and NU. There have been three OT games during the 2AM/SF era, and we are 0-3 in OT games. Two were lost because of INTs (NW in 2018 and MSU in 2021) and the other ended when 2AM took a 7-yard sack (NEVER take a sack, just throw it away) on 3rd and 9 against CO in 2019 (making it a 48-yard FG attempt that was missed).

Turnovers plagued 2AM for his entire career. I know others have mentioned his NCAA leading stats regarding fumbles, but both INTs and fumbles seemed to come at the wrong time. In those 23 games with "clutch" situations, 11 games (including the two OT games mentioned above) involved at least one 2AM turnover (INT or fumble) on a "clutch" drive. That's a game-killing 4th quarter turnover in almost half of the close games (47.8% of the time). You can't win many close games with a late TO.

QB Passing Stats: For his career at NU, 2AM was 670-1055 for 45 TDs and 30 INTs. That gives him an overall completion percentage of 63.5%, TDs on 4.3% of attempts, INTs on 2.8% of throws, and a TD-to-INT ratio of 1.5. In "clutch" 4th quarter drives, he was 127-215 for 5 TDs and 11 INTs. That's a "clutch" completion percentage of 59.1% (a little worse than overall, but not much of a difference), TDs on only 2.3% of attempts (almost half his overall TD rate), INTs on 5.1% (much higher INT rate), and a TD-to-INT ratio of 0.45. That TD-to-INT ratio is very drastic. He threw more than twice as many INTs as TDs in 4th quarter "clutch" situations.

Again, I was a big 2AM fan. I felt he put is position to win games (sometimes single-handedly), and he was a wonderful young man, representing the university very well, and he gave everything he had. But, this information puts stats behind some of the feelings many of us had during crunch time in games. As I said before, it obviously wasn't all on him. Blame for poor performances can be given to many. I was somewhat torn when I heard he was going to transfer, but ultimately thought it was the best thing for him, SF, and Nebraska.
Way too much reality in this post. Thank you for taking the time. Despite what others think. I liked the kid. He was exciting to watch. He was also frustrating to watch.

Ask yourself this very simple question. When and if Scott Frost gets fired from the University of Nebraska, do you honestly believe he will have anything good to say about the state of Nebraska or the University other than his running mates from the late 90s?
Adrian Martinez comments though unnecessary are probably pretty accurate and will pale in comparison to the collateral damage that will be left behind if and when the day comes that Scott is fired. Trust me, he isn’t going down without a very Pelini type exit.
Scott is young and will leave with class. Failing to do so leaves your only option YSU. Major programs do not wa t to be associated with people who talk trash about there last boss.

We shall see. KSU was 6-7 last year with a much easier schedule. We were 3-9. If casey leads us to a better record with the same oline that you all like to blame. And KSU does not make a bowl. Then what will you say?
Depends…. I hope CT leads us to 10 wins. Anything more than 7 and we are all going to be pretty satisfied with the improvement. I know the fact that I am rooting for a winning season is difficult for you to grasp.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back