• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie in the Hall?

The best way to determine this is to post a list of coaches who made it and seeing how he compares
And does your success as an assisyant get included in the criteria? Cuz that strengthens the arguement imo

Good lord…no. Should every nice guy be in the hall? How about gene stallings? Mike Riley? Gary Gibbs? I realize some very average/poor coaches are in the hall but frank should not be 1 of them.
Hmm … Gene Stallings did win a National title at ‘bama in ‘92 and has already been inducted into CFB Hall of Fame (2011).

I think if it were anyone other than Solich, most folks here wouldn't give him a sniff for HOF. Nebraska HOF, no doubt. National HOF? Nope. If there was a HOF for nice guys, maybe, I don't know.

While he had a 75% win rate at NU, the wheels fell off at the end of the 2001 season and IMO we never recovered our mojo. Yes he was somewhat handcuffed with an aging staff and was jobbed by Pederson, but he was handed a well oiled machine and he let it rust.

He was 58% at Ohio and 63% for his career.
He had just 1 conference championship in the 2nd year of his 21 year career.
He was 7-9 in bowl games that he coached. Not too bad, actually, but nothing to write home about.
These are not stellar numbers.

You didn't say any of that previously. You just said he struggled at GT, which is not at all accurate.
You might not live under a rock but you certainly make a lot of inaccurate statements.

Back to Frank: I think he's right below the threshold to get in. A lot of very good accomplishments but I just don't know if it's enough.
He did struggle at GT. Look at the records??

What's dumb is calling other posters dumb. You're really amped up lately. Hope everything's okay.
I’m great. Thanks. Hope you are as well. I didn’t call any direct poster dumb. Sometimes, you just hear things that don’t even make the tiniest bit of sense, like all common sense just isn’t there, and It likely never was. I’ll be a bit more selective with the words. Apologies to anyone offended.

Last edited:
I think if it were anyone other than Solich, most folks here wouldn't give him a sniff for HOF. Nebraska HOF, no doubt. National HOF? Nope. If there was a HOF for nice guys, maybe, I don't know.

While he had a 75% win rate at NU, the wheels fell off at the end of the 2001 season and IMO we never recovered our mojo. Yes he was somewhat handcuffed with an aging staff and was jobbed by Pederson, but he was handed a well oiled machine and he let it rust.

He was 58% at Ohio and 63% for his career.
He had just 1 conference championship in the 2nd year of his 21 year career.
He was 7-9 in bowl games that he coached. Not too bad, actually, but nothing to write home about.
These are not stellar numbers.
The wheels came off in Norman in October 2000. That’s the day things began to change. Never should have lost that game. They adjusted, NU bent over and had no answer. 2001 was a mirage of things to come, covered up by an amazing QB. Hard to see then, but looking back, to me, that was the day the mojo was taken. Nebraska was the big dog then, and they let a team on a roll take it from them.

The wheels came off in Norman in October 2000. That’s the day things began to change. Never should have lost that game. They adjusted, NU bent over and had no answer. 2001 was a mirage of things to come, covered up by an amazing QB. Hard to see then, but looking back, to me, that was the day the mojo was taken. Nebraska was the big dog then, and they let a team on a roll take it from them.
Yet the very next year we went 11-0 until the Blowout in Boulder and Miami Massacre. 2002 we go 7-7 and Solich is on his way out the door. We'd been bushwacked by OU but not by Colorado. Boulder was a disaster for NU football.

Yet the very next year we went 11-0 until the Blowout in Boulder and Miami Massacre. 2002 we go 7-7 and Solich is on his way out the door. We'd been bushwacked by OU but not by Colorado. Boulder was a disaster for NU football.
Didn’t really beat a real good team except OU in 2001, and they lost their QB. I think that October day in Norman, in 2000, put the wheels in motion. 22 years later, still chasing mediocrity, much less alone mojo.

Frank Solich was a good head football coach but IMHO he isn't quite worthy of election to the CFB HoF. Nothing on his coaching resume unequivocally suggests he is among the all-time greats of his profession.

Nebraska:

6 seasons as head coach but only 1 conference championship (1999). Only agents trying to bolster their client's negotiating stance get excited about division titles.

11-13 record vs. AP Top 25 opponents. The 24 games are as follows: 9 home, 10 road and 5 neutral site games.

2-3 record in bowl games.

Only 1 win vs. Top 25 opponent on the road (27-24 OT win at #23 Notre Dame -- I was there!!). Note this doesn't include neutral site games (i.e., conference championship games & bowl games), so the 66-17 Alamo Bowl win over Northwestern isn't counted.

Good: 2 wins as a lower ranked team vs. a higher ranked opponent.

Bad: 5 losses as a higher ranked team vs. a lower ranked opponent.

Ugly: 4 losses as a ranked team vs. an unranked opponent.

Ohio U:

16 seasons as head coach without a conference championship. My previous comment regarding division championships (above) applies here. Record-wise, that's not the mark of a hall of fame coach. Yes, Ohio U football was a joke much of the time before he arrived so he deserves much credit for building the program and raising expectations. But we're not talking about Northwestern level futility before Randy Walker & Gary Barnett arrived in Evanston and stunned the college football world.

True, Solich set the MAC record for football games won. However, IMO that accomplishment is in large part because past great coaches in the conference had departed for other programs long before they could have set any such record. The MAC has historically been the starting point for up and coming coaches including Saban, Meyer, Hayes, Parseghian, Schembechler, Kelly, Kill, Pinkel, etc. Once they proved themselves, they were usually off to bigger and better programs. Solich just happened to end his coaching career in Athens rather than start there.

I hope Solich enjoys his retirement years and is (finally) able to do things he wasn't able to while he was a college football coach.

Ok … I’ll take your word on that sir — I’m just from Shinola now via 15 years spent in Dakota County.
Stallings has 2 accomplishments to his credit as a head coach in college football. 1) Upsetting the hurricanes and winning the title in 1992 and 2) putting the crimson tide back on probation. Did he even win a conference title outside of 92? Ever? At a place like Alabama where you have to fight off some of the best kids in the country every year. Sure he road the coat tails of bear Bryant and Tom Landry as an assistant (sound familiar) but had a loosing records every chance he got outside of Tuscaloosa and had to cheat to win there. stallings is lower on the totem pole than frank, in company with the likes of schnellenburger and chizik and has no place being in the hall.
Perhaps your criteria is limited to automatic qualifiers for cheating your way into natties and that’s fine, we can disagree. Otherwise maybe you should check your shine box it kinda stinks.

Stallings has 2 accomplishments to his credit as a head coach in college football. 1) Upsetting the hurricanes and winning the title in 1992 and 2) putting the crimson tide back on probation. Did he even win a conference title outside of 92? Ever? At a place like Alabama where you have to fight off some of the best kids in the country every year. Sure he road the coat tails of bear Bryant and Tom Landry as an assistant (sound familiar) but had a loosing records every chance he got outside of Tuscaloosa and had to cheat to win there. stallings is lower on the totem pole than frank, in company with the likes of schnellenburger and chizik and has no place being in the hall.
Perhaps your criteria is limited to automatic qualifiers for cheating your way into natties and that’s fine, we can disagree. Otherwise maybe you should check your shine box it kinda stinks.
Pity … I’ll work on the smell, but that is something I remember well growing up in SSC.

If you’re at a class reunion sometime soon, I will buy you a beer :Cheers:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back