• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question?

Seems to me that a college can pay more than a usfl team can. Plus who has more followers, Alabama or the New Jersey Generals?

I suspect the NFL has always wanted an NFL Europe type program … a developmental league per se but why invest in something like that when tOSU and Alabama et al are perfectly minor league system that doesn’t cost them any money.
Exactly. And players come into the league with instant name recognition and fan following, something that would never happen in a minor league system.

XFL being any kind of threat is laughable because of this. It wouldn't hurt CFB to lose players because people are loyal to teams and it would be the next man up. But a top player going to XFL would likely lose a massive amount of exposure.

“YOUR COMPANY” in college athletics is NOT a big huge corporation making billions for a greedy owner. The millions upon millions is used to fund non-revenue sports, it’s used to fund woman’s sports (Title IX) which in aggregate lose money, it is used to support tens of thousands of jobs for other people such as trainers, S&C, nutrition, counseling, media, team managers, physical therapy …

Your take is such an obtuse take. Every athlete gets significant financial compensation in form of scholarships, stipends, room & board … if this isn’t valuable then why is loan forgiveness such big subject for the Dems?

Very few athletic departments “make” money. Most require money from the university in form of fees, loans and stipends.

Are coaches salaries unreasonable? Sure but they’re such a minor infinitesimal amount of the overall picture that it is silly to base your argument on that point.
You should have argued on the NCAA's behalf in front of the Supreme Court. Maybe they didn't try this angle.

I think eventually college football wont be the only source of NFL talent. Why should it be? XFL and USFL could be more like trade schools. They focus on football. You dont want a college degree dont get one. Things are going to change just as it does in all facets of life. Just gotta enjoy the fact Nebraska has won it all before. Worst case scenario is the higher end talent is gone. Best developers of talent will rule college football. Might be a more even playing field.

I think eventually college football wont be the only source of NFL talent. Why should it be? XFL and USFL could be more like trade schools. They focus on football. You dont want a college degree dont get one. Things are going to change just as it does in all facets of life. Just gotta enjoy the fact Nebraska has won it all before. Worst case scenario is the higher end talent is gone. Best developers of talent will rule college football. Might be a more even playing field.
Conceptually this is what could be happening in college basketball … some kids are going elsewhere than college but not a lot. Is it possible some could leave for XFL/AFL maybe … but certainly not without NFL approval/agreement.

If the XFL succeeds and that is a huge if … college football will continue to survive (at least that particular threat). College basketball survived the one-and-done phase.

I think a more likely threat is an end to the three year waiting period for pot3ntial athletes to the NFL.
If I understood the original premise, these would be 5 stars and 4 stars in some cases, that would be going straight from hs to xfl. Bypassing college altogether as they have no interest in the education aspect.

If I understood the original premise, these would be 5 stars and 4 stars in some cases, that would be going straight from hs to xfl. Bypassing college altogether as they have no interest in the education aspect.
Sure … how many would that be? 100? 200 athletes? There’s over 5,500 P5 football players. 200 would represent less 4%. Could they theoretically be the best 200? Sure but lots of talent would remain.

What happens to college football when the XFL, whom the NFL is somewhat behind, starts signing the best HS players for a million or so per year? I’m hearing things about them doing as much. Will college football get the leftover scraps? Will college football die? Ryan Day says he needs 13 million just to keep his roster in tact, for one season. This is bad, bad for everyone who loves college football. Looks like it’s headed for a slow death. Any thoughts?
Pay to play. 180° aboutface from Amateur, Student Athlete Sports that were to build young men and women into knowledgeable, mature, contributing adults into society . Will some of that still happen? Sure. But corporatism Is looking to open the money gates wide open. Hopefully, there will be some moral aspect to this whirlwind.

Pay to play. 180° aboutface from Amateur, Student Athlete Sports that were to build young men and women into knowledgeable, mature, contributing adults into society . Will some of that still happen? Sure. But corporatism Is looking to open the money gates wide open. Hopefully, there will be some moral aspect to this whirlwind.
Lol, for most, there are no morals when it comes to money. Sadly.

Sure … how many would that be? 100? 200 athletes? There’s over 5,500 P5 football players. 200 would represent less 4%. Could they theoretically be the best 200? Sure but lots of talent would remain.
That's fair, I guess it would be interesting to see where eyeballs would go if college football dropped in talent. Would it water it down? The more football the better?

College football deserves exctactly what evolves from all this. Don't get me wrong, I loved what college football was when I was growing up. But what it is now and the direction it's going is uncharted territory and I have doubts about it's viability. Maybe I'll be proved wrong but it feels like it's going in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
As long as you can convince you’re own son that the NCAA route is better for him than the XFL route, there’s not a problem.

College football deserves exctactly what evolves from all this. Don't get me wrong, I loved what college football was when I was growing up. But what it is now and the direction it's going is uncharted territory and I have doubts about it's viability. Maybe I'll be proved wrong but it feels like it's going in the wrong direction.
I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with this^

Exactly. Feels like it’s going by the wayside. Maybe it’s because the Huskers suck, but I believe it’s more than that. Been happening for the better part of 15 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back