• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question?

What are these limits you speak of? Honest question.

A scholarship student athlete has their education paid for. The roof over their head paid for. Their every nutritional need paid for. Their handpicked tutors and support staff paid for. They are given an opportunity that most high school athletes at best can dream about. They also have down time which they can spend making money if they choose. I was around many of them at UNL and you will be hard pressed to make me feel sympathetic to the plight of the poor D1 student athlete. There are literally a hundred kids for every one of them who would happily accept the unjust burden of getting to play the game they love in exchange for a free ride at a major university.

I didn't say we should feel bad for them. But they shouldn't be blamed for the current situation. The influx of money and movement away from amateurism started years ago.

I bet you'd be thrilled to make millions upon millions for your company and be told that you're just an intern, so you should be thankful.
The nonsense is you and other fans didn't say a word when coaches salaries were skyrocketing and conferences were signing hundred million dollar TV deals.
“YOUR COMPANY” in college athletics is NOT a big huge corporation making billions for a greedy owner. The millions upon millions is used to fund non-revenue sports, it’s used to fund woman’s sports (Title IX) which in aggregate lose money, it is used to support tens of thousands of jobs for other people such as trainers, S&C, nutrition, counseling, media, team managers, physical therapy …

Your take is such an obtuse take. Every athlete gets significant financial compensation in form of scholarships, stipends, room & board … if this isn’t valuable then why is loan forgiveness such big subject for the Dems?

Very few athletic departments “make” money. Most require money from the university in form of fees, loans and stipends.

Are coaches salaries unreasonable? Sure but they’re such a minor infinitesimal amount of the overall picture that it is silly to base your argument on that point.

“YOUR COMPANY” in college athletics is NOT a big huge corporation making billions for a greedy owner. The millions upon millions is used to fund non-revenue sports, it’s used to fund woman’s sports (Title IX) which in aggregate lose money, it is used to support tens of thousands of jobs for other people such as trainers, S&C, nutrition, counseling, media, team managers, physical therapy …

Your take is such an obtuse take. Every athlete gets significant financial compensation in form of scholarships, stipends, room & board … if this isn’t valuable then why is loan forgiveness such big subject for the Dems?

Very few athletic departments “make” money. Most require money from the university in form of fees, loans and stipends.

Are coaches salaries unreasonable? Sure but they’re such a minor infinitesimal amount of the overall picture that it is silly to base your argument on that point.

If my argument was so obtuse, why was the NCAA ruled against? You can't have an amateur set up the way they did while also bringing in millions, and also preventing those same athletes from making money off their own name. It was obtuse that the NCAA and the schools thought they could do that, and also shows their incompetence that they never did anything to change this over the years.

If my argument was so obtuse, why was the NCAA ruled against? You can't have an amateur set up the way they did while also bringing in millions, and also preventing those same athletes from making money off their own name. It was obtuse that the NCAA and the schools thought they could do that, and also shows their incompetence that they never did anything to change this over the years.
They aren’t professionals. What of that don’t you understand? They wouldn’t have any likeness crap without the universities giving it to them. If it’s so damn bad, don’t play, no one forces them. Pay for your own degree then. It wasn’t meant for an 18 year old kid to be a millionaire before they ever even play a game, or by the age of 20. This whole thing is a joke. It’s going to ruin a sport you supposedly love. It already is. You probably think 9th graders deserve something for playing an amateur sport and bringing in thousands in concessions, ticket fees for the 300 who watch? I suspect most schools would have been happy to have given some youngsters a better stipend, but it was against the rules. Now you’ve got the Wild West running rampant. I guess you think that’s a good thing also. Not surprising.

They aren’t professionals. What of that don’t you understand? They wouldn’t have any likeness crap without the universities giving it to them. If it’s so damn bad, don’t play, no one forces them. Pay for your own degree then. It wasn’t meant for an 18 year old kid to be a millionaire before they ever even play a game, or by the age of 20. This whole thing is a joke. It’s going to ruin a sport you supposedly love. It already is. You probably think 9th graders deserve something for playing an amateur sport and bringing in thousands in concessions, ticket fees for the 300 who watch? I suspect most schools would have been happy to have given some youngsters a better stipend, but it was against the rules. Now you’ve got the Wild West running rampant. I guess you think that’s a good thing also. Not surprising.

You are incapable of having a conversation, bruh

bird-popcorn.gif

I am not saying NIL is a bad thing or that I am against it … I am saying that the “argument” that the school is making millions off of these athletes is an obtuse argument. The money they’re “making” is funneled back into other athletic programs, scholarships and jobs for thousand of other students, athletes and individuals.

What NIL is currently is not what it should be … Damien Jackson is deserving of way more than Ochaun Mathis For what he’s done for the university and football program. NIL is becoming a signing bonus to attract athletes to commit to the schools.

If jersey sales with your name and number is made … should they share in profits? Sure. If you create a YouTube channel that generates money should they be able to keep money generated? Sure.

My point is simply this … collegiate athletics is not a profit making endeavor. The money generated supports more people, more programs, more worthy causes than you can possibly justify.

I'm not the one blaming the influx of money on the players. If you want to blame someone, blame the people who were supposed to be in charge who never did anything about this while they kept collecting tons of money.
I agree with most of this … but I’m not sure anyone (including some of the brightest minds in the business) knows how to solve the NIL problem.

Maybe you let college athletes to organize into a “union” like entity and you negotiate with entity for a uniform set of rules.

I am not saying NIL is a bad thing or that I am against it … I am saying that the “argument” that the school is making millions off of these athletes is an obtuse argument. The money they’re “making” is funneled back into other athletic programs, scholarships and jobs for thousand of other students, athletes and individuals.

What NIL is currently is not what it should be … Damien Jackson is deserving of way more than Ochaun Mathis For what he’s done for the university and football program. NIL is becoming a signing bonus to attract athletes to commit to the schools.

If jersey sales with your name and number is made … should they share in profits? Sure. If you create a YouTube channel that generates money should they be able to keep money generated? Sure.

My point is simply this … collegiate athletics is not a profit making endeavor. The money generated supports more people, more programs, more worthy causes than you can possibly justify.

I agree with you that NIL isn't what it should be. But that's not the players fault. The NCAA and conferences should have had a framework ready because they should have known they were going to lose this case. Instead, they did nothing and now this is what happens.
Hopefully someone will take control and offer up some regulations and oversight.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back