• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers /Hawkeyes DH on Sunday, 12:00 pm start - Hawks Field.

Bradford and Bragg surprise me, the rest not so much.

Next year the only proven pitchers we will have are Olson and Frank (assuming Koty returns and Shay doesn’t). Ornelas, Brockett, Bensen and Hood have seen action, but not likely to be one’s to really improve the team. Brockett can be a midweek starter and Ornelas can be a quality middle reliever.

Bats returning are Max, Brice, and GA. Maybe we get Colby and Griff to come back.

Really need a lot of the incoming players to be good from the start. This past class was pretty much a dud. Surprising given how highly it was ranked.

Koty is on the fence while Shay returns if not offered an opportunity at the next level. I think Brockett will battle hard for the Sunday spot with Olson & Sears (JUCO guy) battling for the Friday/Saturday slots. Of course a portal addition can & will change everything.

Gomes & Feekin aren't coming back. I'm pretty sure Chick isn't either. I can't imagine Walsh is asked back as he's been non-existent for 2 straight seasons. Griff, see Shay - same situation.

Tough to say a class is a dud after one season, especially the number of high school kids in it. Let's see what happens over the next 2 years then we'll have a better idea. There's still 8 or 9 guys in that class coming back. The 2018 class was highly touted and for me, that class was a dud.

Last edited:
I just feel the door couldn’t have been more wide open for young guys to grab a position than it was this year. Freshman start and play well every
where and every year, heck most of our current starters began starting as freshmen (Cam, Brice, Max, Colby, Banjo, Emmitt, Shay…). Pitching, outfield, infield and even catcher were all open to be grabbed and the only ‘new’ guy to step up was GA and he was a redshirt.

Maybe last year’s class pans out, but right now the odds aren’t looking too high.

I just feel the door couldn’t have been more wide open for young guys to grab a position than it was this year. Freshman start and play well every
where and every year, heck most of our current starters began starting as freshmen (Cam, Brice, Max, Colby, Banjo, Emmitt, Shay…). Pitching, outfield, infield and even catcher were all open to be grabbed and the only ‘new’ guy to step up was GA and he was a redshirt.

Maybe last year’s class pans out, but right now the odds aren’t looking too high.

Cam hit .240 his frosh year. I wouldn't call that performing unless you feel Luke Jessen performed this year hitting .243.

Brice hit .273 his frosh year. Pretty respectful on a regional team.

Max, absolutely.

Colby, as a RHP absolutely yes. As a hitter, absolutely no as he hit .209 his frosh year. To compare, Core Jackson hit .210 this year.

Banjo played a 15 game freshmen season. His abilities were on display the last 2 seasons.

Emmett tossed 11 innings his freshmen year. Brockett had damn near 3 times the amount.

Shay agree, but keep in mind he was asked to pitch from the bullpen on a team with 3 weekend senior starters. It was his best year, numbers wise, and I wish (if he returns) he goes back to the bullpen as I strongly believe he's a much better pitcher in that role.

Our true freshmen had around 375 plate appearances in 2022, spread out by 4 guys. That's a lot on a team, especially one that struggled from start to finish. In comparison, Max & Brice combined for that in 2021 - again, on a veteran, regional team.

Last edited:
Cam hit .240 his frosh year. I wouldn't call that performing unless you feel Luke Jessen performed this year hitting .243.

Brice hit .273 his frosh year. Pretty respectful on a regional team.

Max, absolutely.

Colby, as a RHP absolutely yes. As a hitter, absolutely no as he hit .209 his frosh year. To compare, Core Jackson hit .210 this year.

Banjo played a 15 game freshmen season. His abilities were on display the last 2 seasons.

Emmett tossed 11 innings his freshmen year. Brockett had damn near 3 times the amount.

Shay agree, but keep in mind he was asked to pitch from the bullpen on a team with 3 weekend senior starters. It was his best year, numbers wise, and I wish (if he returns) he goes back to the bullpen as I strongly believe he's a much better pitcher in that role.

Our true freshmen had around 375 plate appearances in 2022, spread out by 4 guys. That's a lot on a team, especially one that struggled from start to finish. In comparison, Max & Brice combined for that in 2021 - again, on a veteran, regional team.
Good points. I kinda forgot about Jessen as he missed so much of the year, but he did play well when he could.

The others played out of necessity, but I wouldn’t say they showed overly well. Colby’s bat was weak his freshman year but at least he played solid D, and I’m not sure how much of his focus was on batting vs everything else. At the end of last year I think we all knew Emmett was solid and would be a key cog going forward. The same for Brice and Max. Jessen and Brockett seem boarderline solid, but not 100%. To not have one take it to the bank solid freshman player is not good.

To not have one take it to the bank solid freshman player is not good.

I think we do, and most likely that's our difference.

Especially in Brockett. He reminds me so much of Povich at the same. Not saying he projects the same from a draft standpoint but I can definitely see Brockett as a Friday guy his junior season & putting up really solid numbers. Hood is my next guess, assuming he stays in a leverage role. I'm also excited to see Caron progress, big fan of his defensive abilities. Then, we have Christo - dudes like him don't grow on a tree around here. 6'5", 220+, touching 93-95 as an 18-year old.

It'll be a good thread to bump in 2 years. This staff has proven to improve guys as they get older...

Last edited:
Here's the thing about Bolt. If you don't show up, you don't do weights, you don't grind, you don't perform.....you're gone.

That's a STARK difference from the rest of NU men's athetics. We might not win for awhile. We might win right away. It doesn't matter. He has his expectations and his culture. You abide, or you're gone.

We will be lucky if we keep bolt for 5-8 seasons

Your opinion is one I strongly disagree with.

Many of the kids leaving didn't have a choice and/or saw the writing on the wall with 17 incoming recruits. And counting...
You are entitled to your opinion
I respect that
Bolt is not a manager
Bolt was a great player
Ted Williams was not a great manage Is Ted Williams was a great player

Last edited:

You are entitled to your opinion
I respect that
Bolt is not a manager
Bolt was a great player
Ted Williams was not a great manage Is Ted Williams was a great player
Bolt was not a great player. He was decent. Strange comparison to Ted Williams. And pretty quick to get on the run Bolt out of town bandwagon.

Bolt was not a great player. He was decent. Strange comparison to Ted Williams. And pretty quick to get on the run Bolt out of town bandwagon.

Here's what he said when Bolt got a raise following the 2021 season:

I don't believe it! He takes us to a B10 Championship, and we almost knock off Ark (which, we should have!) and he gets 100K bonus? Never mind the year! That should go thru 2030!! Fork up more, next time, or someone will snap him up! If you are successful as a coach, others will want to steal "you" away!!

:Rolf: oh Bobby.

I think we do, and most likely that's our difference.

Especially in Brockett. He reminds me so much of Povich at the same. Not saying he projects the same from a draft standpoint but I can definitely see Brockett as a Friday guy his junior season & putting up really solid numbers. Hood is my next guess, assuming he stays in a leverage role. I'm also excited to see Caron progress, big fan of his defensive abilities. Then, we have Christo - dudes like him don't grow on a tree around here. 6'5", 220+, touching 93-95 as an 18-year old.

It'll be a good thread to bump in 2 years. This staff has proven to improve guys as they get older...
It will be interesting to look back. I hope the class has a bunch of stars that were just waiting to shine. Each class needs 3 to 5 quality players in it.

Brockett and Jessen certainly have potential to be those quality players. Caron, Benson, Hood, Hawkins, Jackson, Swanson, and Christo may all develop into them. Based on this year though they will need to put in a lot of hard work because there was little sign of it coming out of the gates.

Caron, Benson, Hood, Hawkins, Jackson, Swanson, and Christo may all develop into them. Based on this year though they will need to put in a lot of hard work because there was little sign of it coming out of the gates.

Acker .154 - .192 - .260 - .283
Roskam .266 - .269 - .221 - .307
Hallmark .261 - .234 - .342

Bold = under current staff

What does this show? All 3 were written off by this fan base, till their last seasons. It's a small sample size but one I'm willing to give the befit of the doubt to.

We'll see what happens with Max, Brice & Garrett in 2023 to see if it carries thru lokenitndid for the ofher 3 mentioned above. Griff sure benefited with more extra base hits, a better OB% and a higher SLG%.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back