• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB William "Pop" Watson Flips To VA Tech

This is a case where Nebraska is 100% trusting the relationship Whipple has with Watson, and his belief in his potential.

I think a guy like Kohl, who Frost had been targeting for a year is a better prospect. The latest intel had the Huskers as co-leaders with Iowa State.

I also think there were other guys that were offered since the new assistants were hired and were also much better prospects, like Avery Johnson and Christopher Vizzina. Maybe the staff had the inclination that they were too far behind a school like Arkansas for Johnson and that Vizzina was a pipe dream? Maybe they thought the Cyclones were gonna win out for Kohl?

QB recruiting is so different from other positions. Maybe they took Watson knowing Whipple likes him, and it allows them to spend the next 18 months giving Dylan Raiola their undivided attention?

Watson has a nice skillset. He has a pretty good arm and is really athletic. But he's listed at 5-11 on his basketball roster. So he's probably actually 5-10 in shoes.

The other major programs who offered like Michigan, Oregon and Tennessee, did so in the spring and summer of 2020. He had schools like Ohio State and West Virginia looking at him, but again, that was a while ago. Most of those schools have cooled on him because of his size. Here's a hard truth, the two other schools that were recruiting him as hard as Nebraska were Akron and Massachusetts.

There's a reason people can name the five guys who've overcome being under 6-0 and been elite players at the college level. And this kid isn't in the same stratosphere as guys like Vick or Murray in terms of athleticism.

It's going to be a whole new ballgame for him in the Big Ten. Can he find passing lanes? Can he anticipate throws through windows where he doesn't even see the receiver yet? There are some big questions here.

Whipple likes him, so that's the silver lining here. I personally have reservations that he can be an upper-echelon player because of the size limitations. I think he could be a serviceable player, but I'd be shocked if he developed into a guy that's All-Conference caliber. But like I said, that's based on his size. He has a really nice skillset. If he were 6-2+, I'd be much more excited about him.

This is a case where Nebraska is 100% trusting the relationship Whipple has with Watson, and his belief in his potential.

I think a guy like Kohl, who Frost had been targeting for a year is a better prospect. The latest intel had the Huskers as co-leaders with Iowa State.

I also think there were other guys that were offered since the new assistants were hired and were also much better prospects, like Avery Johnson and Christopher Vizzina. Maybe the staff had the inclination that they were too far behind a school like Arkansas for Johnson and that Vizzina was a pipe dream? Maybe they thought the Cyclones were gonna win out for Kohl?

QB recruiting is so different from other positions. Maybe they took Watson knowing Whipple likes him, and it allows them to spend the next 18 months giving Dylan Raiola their undivided attention?

Watson has a nice skillset. He has a pretty good arm and is really athletic. But he's listed at 5-11 on his basketball roster. So he's probably actually 5-10 in shoes.

The other major programs who offered like Michigan, Oregon and Tennessee, did so in the spring and summer of 2020. He had schools like Ohio State and West Virginia looking at him, but again, that was a while ago. Most of those schools have cooled on him because of his size. Here's a hard truth, the two other schools that were recruiting him as hard as Nebraska were Akron and Massachusetts.

There's a reason people can name the five guys who've overcome being under 6-0 and been elite players at the college level. And this kid isn't in the same stratosphere as guys like Vick or Murray in terms of athleticism.

It's going to be a whole new ballgame for him in the Big Ten. Can he find passing lanes? Can he anticipate throws through windows where he doesn't even see the receiver yet? There are some big questions here.

Whipple likes him, so that's the silver lining here. I personally have reservations that he can be an upper-echelon player because of the size limitations. I think he could be a serviceable player, but I'd be shocked if he developed into a guy that's All-Conference caliber. But like I said, that's based on his size. He has a really nice skillset. If he were 6-2+, I'd be much more excited about him.

Fair enough and we'll thought out

I am seeing a lot about peer recruiting, truth is while the fans care about the “ratings” the players know who can play, it’s more about relationships, the friendships that develop, at camps, texts, on visits, etc. Where I’m going with this is how do they respond to the peer recruiter, Through video games, outdoor activity, or certain things that’s happened, the relationship is way more important than anything else in peer recruiting.
That's some bold talk right there...

In post #18 RR posted a tweet from somebody in Massachusetts saying that Watson is the best HS QB he's seen in MA in at least 20 years. Based on your analysis N2FL, that makes me wonder if being the best HS QB in Massachusetts would be equivalent to being the best rapper in Nebraska? ;)

I am seeing a lot about peer recruiting, truth is while the fans care about the “ratings” the players know who can play, it’s more about relationships, the friendships that develop, at camps, texts, on visits, etc. Where I’m going with this is how do they respond to the peer recruiter, Through video games, outdoor activity, or certain things that’s happened, the relationship is way more important than anything else in peer recruiting.

pulp-fiction-vincent-vega.gif

I agree that height is a potential concern. But successful shorter QBs either have exceptional athleticism, a very high football IQ, or both. This kid may have both. I disagree that his athleticism isn’t in the same league as Murray. Watching his film, Murray was the first comp that came to mind. He even has the strong throw with a flick of the wrist that Murray has. I’m not saying he’s going to be Kyler Murray, but he does possess similar athleticism and arm ability.

I agree with you on locking up Watson, a kid that Whipple knows well for 2023 and putting the full court press on Raiola for 2024. That’s a winning strategy.

I agree that height is a potential concern. But successful shorter QBs either have exceptional athleticism, a very high football IQ, or both. This kid may have both. I disagree that his athleticism isn’t in the same league as Murray. Watching his film, Murray was the first comp that came to mind. He even has the strong throw with a flick of the wrist that Murray has. I’m not saying he’s going to be Kyler Murray, but he does possess similar athleticism and arm ability.

I agree with you on locking up Watson, a kid that Whipple knows well for 2023 and putting the full court press on Raiola for 2024. That’s a winning strategy.

Coaches kid to boot

Really good listen

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back