• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N2FL Ranks the 2022 Commits

NFL ! Thanks, you are essential for this forum. Hope you get paid a LOT, by somebody !
Now , one more thing - Have you , or will you , put out your assessment of the Transfers - in ?
Is this even possible with all the politics of late committers and potential transfers-out ?
You opinions and facts give this forum a TON of LIfe. And do we need that Life ! Appreciate all you do
Glad you seem to be on "our side" ( Lovers of NU football Future )

Nos. 2 & 3 on your final list were snapped up on the last day. Good that the staff finished with a flourish or bad due to the lack of long term relationships?

I'm gonna start putting out my annual recruiting overview. I'll start with this:

The SEC is as good or better than ever based on the '22 class.

1. A&M
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
11. LSU
14. Tennessee
15. Missouri
16. Kentucky
17. Auburn
20. Florida
23. Ole Miss
24. Mississippi State
27. Auburn
29. South Carolina
31. Vanderbilt

Every SEC team (14 of 14) is ranked within the top 31 in the nation -- that's nearly half of the top 31 teams. For that matter, if you were to include Texas and Oklahoma (as some of this year's recruits may still be with these teams when they join the SEC), you'd have 16 of the top 31.

The other P5 conferences, schools ranking within the top 31:

Big Ten, 6 of 14:
Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State, Iowa

Big 12, 3 of 10:
Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

ACC, 4 of 14:
Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, Florida State

Pac-12, 3 of 12:
Stanford, Oregon, Arizona

NFL ! Thanks, you are essential for this forum. Hope you get paid a LOT, by somebody !
Now , one more thing - Have you , or will you , put out your assessment of the Transfers - in ?
Is this even possible with all the politics of late committers and potential transfers-out ?
You opinions and facts give this forum a TON of LIfe. And do we need that Life ! Appreciate all you do
Glad you seem to be on "our side" ( Lovers of NU football Future )

I'll do a write up about the transfers closer to the start of fall camp. I'm expecting another couple

Doesn’t it seem odd that non of those recruits are from bordering states? That seems almost ominous to me.

It doesn't really surprise me. Frost's staff doesn't have connections to border states, other than Chinander and Iowa. The Nebraska brand usually sells itself when things are going good based on location, which is a huge factor with kids and their families.

Maybe Applewhite can bring some local ties from Colorado, but he's more connected to Texas and Louisiana. I have noticed Joseph and Busch are spending a lot of time in places like St. Louis, East St. Louis and Kansas City, which is a real good thing. If anyone can open those doors, it's them.

Beckton (Georgia), Fisher (Florida), Joseph (Louisiana) and Applewhite (Texas) have connections to really talented states. If they can get the right kids out of there, your skill positions should be fine.

The spots I'm concerned about, and have been, are along both sides of the line. Tuioti and Dawson are really good developers. But Tuioti's recruiting ties weren't beneficial at Nebraska. PI's and kids on the West Coast don't come to Nebraska, at least not the top kids. There are too many options out West. And if they do leave, they're leaving for elite programs like Alabama, Clemson, etc. Sure, Tuioti pulled a couple guys like Ho'ohuli, but he needs to sign multiple guys per class and we saw him struggle to do that.

Dawson is the same for me. His connections in the Northeast aren't a huge benefit for Nebraska. He gets a guy here and there, but he needs multiple guys per class too.

Then you have Raiola who hasn't recruited ever before. Teams recruit kids since they're sophomores to get them to sign years later. Raiola has nobody on his radar. Can he develop relationships with kids to get them here in less than a year?

If I'm Frost, I'd have veteran coaches on the O-line and D-line who have strong recruiting backgrounds in the region. There are really good linemen, especially O-line, in the midwest. Get your big guys locally and the right skill guys where guys like Joseph, Fisher, Beckton, etc have really good connections.

It doesn't really surprise me. Frost's staff doesn't have connections to border states, other than Chinander and Iowa. The Nebraska brand usually sells itself when things are going good based on location, which is a huge factor with kids and their families.

Maybe Applewhite can bring some local ties from Colorado, but he's more connected to Texas and Louisiana. I have noticed Joseph and Busch are spending a lot of time in places like St. Louis, East St. Louis and Kansas City, which is a real good thing. If anyone can open those doors, it's them.

Beckton (Georgia), Fisher (Florida), Joseph (Louisiana) and Applewhite (Texas) have connections to really talented states. If they can get the right kids out of there, your skill positions should be fine.

The spots I'm concerned about, and have been, are along both sides of the line. Tuioti and Dawson are really good developers. But Tuioti's recruiting ties weren't beneficial at Nebraska. PI's and kids on the West Coast don't come to Nebraska, at least not the top kids. There are too many options out West. And if they do leave, they're leaving for elite programs like Alabama, Clemson, etc. Sure, Tuioti pulled a couple guys like Ho'ohuli, but he needs to sign multiple guys per class and we saw him struggle to do that.

Dawson is the same for me. His connections in the Northeast aren't a huge benefit for Nebraska. He gets a guy here and there, but he needs multiple guys per class too.

Then you have Raiola who hasn't recruited ever before. Teams recruit kids since they're sophomores to get them to sign years later. Raiola has nobody on his radar. Can he develop relationships with kids to get them here in less than a year?

If I'm Frost, I'd have veteran coaches on the O-line and D-line who have strong recruiting backgrounds in the region. There are really good linemen, especially O-line, in the midwest. Get your big guys locally and the right skill guys where guys like Joseph, Fisher, Beckton, etc have really good connections.

I had pondered this concern about both of our lines and am glad you brought it up.

This seemed like one of our weakest years for recruits (and transfers) to help our lines. Is that the case?

We certainly seem to have bolstered the depth charts of our offensive skill positions. But in the Big Ten, winning the battle of the trenches is everything. Is this becoming an increasing concern? Or do we have enough to get by with a down year in recruiting line play?

This pains me even more when I see the crazy good offensive line Texas signed.

EDIT: Have you done a position-by-position analysis/grading for the '22 class?

Last edited:
I had pondered this concern about both of our lines and am glad you brought it up.

This seemed like one of our weakest years for recruits (and transfers) to help our lines. Is that the case?

We certainly seem to have bolstered the depth charts of our offensive skill positions. But in the Big Ten, winning the battle of the trenches is everything. Is this becoming an increasing concern? Or do we have enough to get by with a down year in recruiting line play?

This pains me even more when I see the crazy good offensive line Texas signed.

EDIT: Have you done a position-by-position analysis/grading for the '22 class?

I'm doing a writeup on each player and releasing them daily by group.

I think recruiting on both the lines is a concern. I wonder if they'll try and hit the portal on the O-line this spring to add another guy or two. Then maybe with the '23 class they try and get a top JUCO and another round of transfers next winter as well. I have a lot of questions about Raiola the recruiter.

Maybe they do that while Raiola builds relationships with guys for '24 and beyond? Not neglecting '23 guys of course. Definitely still go after them, but every coach he's going to be competing against for guys this year has at least a year head start on him.

I'm doing a writeup on each player and releasing them daily by group.

I think recruiting on both the lines is a concern. I wonder if they'll try and hit the portal on the O-line this spring to add another guy or two. Then maybe with the '23 class they try and get a top JUCO and another round of transfers next winter as well. I have a lot of questions about Raiola the recruiter.

Maybe they do that while Raiola builds relationships with guys for '24 and beyond? Not neglecting '23 guys of course. Definitely still go after them, but every coach he's going to be competing against for guys this year has at least a year head start on him.
I was really surprised and concerned when HCSF did not hire a proven entity (from a Recruiting and Developing talent standpoint ) for the OL Coach position.

Granted I’m no expert in this field, but just from reviewing the information (and others’ assessments), Raiola appears to be a “gamble”. Given the OL challenges that we’ve had, and the impact that the OL’s performance can have I was certain Frost was going to bring in “a sure thing” … someone that is a proven homerun (or at least a double or triple) hitter.

Let’s hope that Raiola does hit it outta the park during his first “at bats”! HCSF (and the rest of the offense) is certainly counting on it… not really time to learn while you earn.

Last edited:

It's amazing to me how much has changed over time. It's apples and rutabagas comparing 2022 college football to when I went to High School in Colorado (gulp) 40 years ago, but the difference is staggering. When Nebraska coaches we're coming to town, everybody knew and this was well before the internet. They didn't get every kid they wanted from Colorado but consistency in staff and recruiting presence and winning made it more of a Nebraska decision back then. An offer was big time news.

To fix it, both of the consistency in recruiting and winning will take years to establish. Getting to the point where the area kids, we can use the 500 mile radius definition if that makes it easier, are no worse than a 50/50 proposition if we want/need them, should be the goal. Times have changed and a player coming out of high school has more regional FBS and really good FCS options than they used to. Makes it even more difficult to lock an area down.

Obviously the elephant in the room is the staff has to win. Now. That doesn't happen to an acceptable level in '22 and these concerns (Many of which I share) are meaningless because we're overhauling the whole thing.

It's great to see Busch and Joseph pounding the pavement and winning the hearts and minds. I'm hoping Raiola is either on the road with either to see how it works when it's done right and starting to develop his own relationships. All that takes time. Time we really don't have. Win in '22 and it gives the staff more time to work on it.

I was really surprised and concerned when HCSF did not hire a proven entity (from a Recruiting and Developing talent standpoint ) for the OL Coach position.

Granted I’m no expert in this field, but just from reviewing the information (and others’ assessments), Raiola appears to be a “gamble”. Given the OL challenges that we’ve had, and the impact that the OL’s performance can have I was certain Frost was going to bring in “a sure thing” … someone that is a proven homerun (or at least a double or triple) hitter.

Let’s hope that Raiola does hit it outta the park during his first “at bats”! HCSF (and the rest of the offense) is certainly counting on it… not really time to learn while you earn.

Not to pile on, but Raiola was at Nebraska for over 6 weeks before he made a scholarship offer to a 2023 HS player. He's still only extended a handful. I would have thought Nebraska's recruiting department would have had an extensive list of guys that they'd already vetted for him to review and get on the ball.

To be fair, I guess, Nebraska had gone stagnant with their recruiting in '22 and they were behind the ball for '23, especially after making staff changes, which is to be expected. The new guys like Joseph, Applewhite and Busch came in and really busted their butts. Nebraska was making offers to guys in December and January that they should have been already offering and recruiting in August and September. Most position groups will get caught up. Both sides of the line remain a concern, though, if you're a Husker fan.

4 days from '22 NSD & a decent / smaller class ...
& already ominous 2023 vibes from the www (which anymore in NE seems to stand for whine, worry & woe) :Thumbsdown2:

enough with the negative waves moriarty ;):Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back