• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

i CAN'T HELP MYSELF!

I would rather be hopeful than miserable Skunk. Good for you. It must suck expecting the worst all the time.

The opposite of hopeful doesn't have to be miserable.

Nebraska football hasn't made me miserable in many, many years. Hope just isn't in my equation for predicting the future. No problem if others apply hope.

I also never expect the worst. I simply don't expect something that I haven't seen in a long time. I have no expectations.

Last edited:

Nebraska football hasn't made me miserable in many, many years. Hope just isn't in my equation for predicting the future. No problem if others apply hope.

I also never expect the worst. I simply don't expect something that I haven't seen in a long time. I have no expectations.
Okay. I've seen lots of people (not just our fans) that tie their self esteem to how their football team or sports team in general does. I've seen a lot of misery on this board. I understand the reluctance. Even if late Frost is trying to correct his mistakes. And many of those mistakes could be due to loyalty. Yes some are hardheaded stuff too.

That's a great point. I hate to use the word apathy, so I'll chalk it up to maturity. There were times I was miserable after a Husker loss, but those days are long gone. Maybe because I found things in life that were more important or maybe I just got used to the losses. Either way the wins bring short lived excitement and the losses hurt (for a short time) but miserable is never an adjective I would use to describe my fandom or any point in time regarding Husker football. If it isn't maturity, it could be the fact that I tend to have a more tempered and realistic attitude of what we have become. Fast forward to 2022 and I will still be screaming in the stands or at my Samsung.

You can't drink Koolaid if you don't keep it in your fridge. It's been a long time since I've drank any Koolaid.

Sorry, but I will remain in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp until something on the field changes my mindset. It's been quite accurate for many years now, which is unfortunate. Eventually it will change, I think. Can't get much worse. But let's see it happen first instead of relying on hope. That's the scientist in me speaking.
Could it simply be as a weatherman you're afraid if you let your guard down from hard bitten reality you'll start forecasting sunny and 72 degrees when really there's going to be a blizzard, a tornado, and a tsunami the next day?

C'mon HWM, let your guard down. Everybody's doing it! :Biggrin: ;)

Last edited:

Okay. I've seen lots of people (not just our fans) that tie their self esteem to how their football team or sports team in general does. I've seen a lot of misery on this board. I understand the reluctance. Even if late Frost is trying to correct his mistakes. And many of those mistakes could be due to loyalty. Yes some are hardheaded stuff too.
With every gaffe and with every staff change we hear the same stuff. Frost gets it now, we fixed the RB room with this recruit, this QB fixes that, this 5-star transfer is one and done, this OC gets it, this OLine coach finally brings out the best in our talent, rinse and repeat. Just because there are fans that are tired of the same ole same ole, are in wait and see mode, and are skeptical doesn't make them miserable or any more hardheaded than those that keep preaching we are fixed. Maybe you should examine your own fandom and worry less about others. I'll admit I am curious about the changes but recognize as usual we are celebrating another championship of the offseason. Is this the off season you and others are right? Hope so.

I'm this guy. "I've got to stay strong..."
D39d718e3a15249e7c78f9c95c35abd3.jpg

Last edited:

Losing in sports should never tie to depression or misery for mature, adult fans. Although some fans likely struggle to control their emotions more than others.

Yes, I can confess the 1984 Orange Bowl loss to Miami -- when I was 14 -- made me miserable. Eventually I grew up and realized there's zero reason to allow a game -- which a fan has zero control on the outcome -- to bring me down. Quite often during the season, I'll watch Nebraska lose during the day and that night I'm loving life at a concert. It's not hard to move on.

I believe some interpret negative criticism as misery -- especially those who most strongly support Frost.

I commonly see Frost critics providing an unkind analysis -- and those who are more supportive of Frost are bothered by it -- so they call out the fans or on occasion complain to the moderators. The "misery" seems to be tied to those who are bothered by the negative criticism.

I highly doubt more than a small percentage of Nebraska fans are truly miserable. There's a lot else to life which means quite a bit more -- at least I "hope" that's the case for everyone.

The new players and new coaches makes it hard not to be excited! The kool-aid sales be be up this off season!

My wife is very tired of my telling her we’re going to the Rose Bowl THIS year. It’s getting old and so am I but I am buying and drinking the KoolAid.
Rose Bowl? Now that is some extra strength KoolAid. Maybe you should only sip the good stuff.

Losing in sports should never tie to depression or misery for mature, adult fans. Although some fans likely struggle to control their emotions more than others.

Yes, I can confess the 1984 Orange Bowl loss to Miami -- when I was 14 -- made me miserable. Eventually I grew up and realized there's zero reason to allow a game -- which a fan has zero control on the outcome -- to bring me down. Quite often during the season, I'll watch Nebraska lose during the day and that night I'm loving life at a concert. It's not hard to move on.

I believe some interpret negative criticism as misery -- especially those who most strongly support Frost.

I commonly see Frost critics providing an unkind analysis -- and those who are more supportive of Frost are bothered by it -- so they call out the fans or on occasion complain to the moderators. The "misery" seems to be tied to those who are bothered by the negative criticism.

I highly doubt more than a small percentage of Nebraska fans are truly miserable. There's a lot else to life which means quite a bit more -- at least I "hope" that's the case for everyone.
I think they used to be miserable. I believe most have moved on to a understanding that it will never ever be like it was. Those that accept that are much happier on Saturdays. This program will never compete for a National championship again and I’m ok with that.

Fourth paragraph nails it.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back