• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Mike Shoff his knee and what he has to do to get a Nebraska offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understandably the coaches are being a bit extra cautious. Heard Tom Luginbill (ESPN's Recruiting guy) on a podcast talk about the rating process for prospects. He mentioned how difficult it is and that NFL teams with all the resources and testing that they use still whiff on 1st round draft picks. So it's got to be even tougher for college coaches dealing with 17-18 year olds and having less data to go on.

I'm sure the coaches don't want to miss with a small class. Also it's a sign that things are looking up and that more kids are again mentioning Nebraska in the same breath as other college powers. It's a better sign to going up against schools like USC, OU, Texas, Florida, Bama et al. for recruits rather than duking it out with K-State, Baylor, and Kansas.

Agree and well said...and also a lack of offers, in this case, is tell-tale to the concern about the knee injury...which is understandable...

Understandably the coaches are being a bit extra cautious. Heard Tom Luginbill (ESPN's Recruiting guy) on a podcast talk about the rating process for prospects. He mentioned how difficult it is and that NFL teams with all the resources and testing that they use still whiff on 1st round draft picks. So it's got to be even tougher for college coaches dealing with 17-18 year olds and having less data to go on.

I'm sure the coaches don't want to miss with a small class. Also it's a sign that things are looking up and that more kids are again mentioning Nebraska in the same breath as other college powers. It's a better sign to going up against schools like USC, OU, Texas, Florida, Bama et al. for recruits rather than duking it out with K-State, Baylor, and Kansas.

Sounds like unless we swing and miss on some of our other DT targets, he will be a Hawkeye. So that makes arguably the 2 best prospects in Nebraska this year going to border state schools (if it plays out how I said in previous sentence). Sucks when you have this small of a class, Bender and Shoff are guys that are life-long Huskers, the numbers just aren't working where we can take any kind of chance this recruiting class.

Based on what? Nebraska is still his #1 choice and he understands what he needs to do to get an offer...at the Class 'C' level there is no reason to believe he can't dominate....if he does he will be 'N'....

Sounds like unless we swing and miss on some of our other DT targets, he will be a Hawkeye. So that makes arguably the 2 best prospects in Nebraska this year going to border state schools (if it plays out how I said in previous sentence). Sucks when you have this small of a class, Bender and Shoff are guys that are life-long Huskers, the numbers just aren't working where we can take any kind of chance this recruiting class.

Last edited:

Based on what? Nebraska is still his #1 choice and he understands what he needs to do to get an offer...at the Class 'C' level there is no reason to believe he can't dominate....if he does he will be 'N'....

Just saying what i've heard. We won't be turning away guys like Valentine and others to leave a spot for Shoff. If they go elsewhere, you're right, he's 'N'. The non-offer was a way to buy more time to check the knee out and try to get other priorities at that position verballed.

Agree. But like ShortSide was insinuating, its a shame NU can't "close the borders" due to such a small class this year. Its too bad that a couple of guys that have dreamed to be Huskers may not simply because of a numbers crunch. It is what it is.

Bender made his own choice...he would have been 'N' as an athlete....he wanted to play quarterback and the coaches were honest with him so he went elsewhere (much like Taylor Martinez did, as most schools wanted him as a DB)...so that is not on the staff (lot of schools would have lied to him to get him onboard)....I would have to believe that would have been so even had we had 22-25 scholarships....honestly there are better quarterbacks than Bender on our horizon (Armstrong and Fuller come to mind)....go watch some film on him and his passing game....that is where the issue lies in my opinion....

Yeah Shoff might get caught in a numbers game....I agree.....but I have to trust this staff....they have a reputation from kids they have recruited as being super honest and trustworthy....I still think Shoff will be 'N' but they have to be careful with perhaps 15 skollies at best on the line...

Agree. But like ShortSide was insinuating, its a shame NU can't "close the borders" due to such a small class this year. Its too bad that a couple of guys that have dreamed to be Huskers may not simply because of a numbers crunch. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Bender made his own choice...he would have been 'N' as an athlete....he wanted to play quarterback and the coaches were honest with him so he went elsewhere (much like Taylor Martinez did, as most schools wanted him as a DB)...so that is not on the staff (lot of schools would have lied to him to get him onboard)....I would have to believe that would have been so even had we had 22-25 scholarships....honestly there are better quarterbacks than Bender on our horizon (Armstrong and Fuller come to mind)....go watch some film on him and his passing game....that is where the issue lies in my opinion....

Yeah Shoff might get caught in a numbers game....I agree.....but I have to trust this staff....they have a reputation from kids they have recruited as being super honest and trustworthy....I still think Shoff will be 'N' but they have to be careful with perhaps 15 skollies at best on the line...

I agree, Bender wants to play QB. As i've said before I played football and ran track with his dad, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Tay head somewhere for a couple years, find out he may not be a D1 QB, and transfer to Nebraska for an athlete position when KState or whoever he signs with tries to get him to switch positions. Though, I hope what he wants works out for him, never would root for a kid to fail. Maybe Callahan's kids, but that's another discussion.

Shoff is in a numbers crunch. It's hard for me to think we will take 3 DT's in this class, and we have a few unbelievable DL that have us very high on their list right now. You are right, the staff would definetely not lie to Shoff, we have no reason to think they have been nothing but honest with him. But here is my speculation, take it with a grain of salt:

Our sr. DT Crick has a great first 4 or 5 games, guys like Valentine and co. see that he is graduating and hop on the Husker train. Shoff mid-way thru his senior season still doesn't have his Nebraska offer, and visits Iowa and pulls the trigger with them. Again, just speculation, but I could very easily see it going that way.

I would love to have Bender onboard he is a special talent....just not at QB....

Shoff is a numbers crunch I won't argue that....I still think he is 'N' if he gets done what the staff asked him to do...there must be more to the knee than we know too, as he has only one offer so far in Iowa and as we both know before the knee surgery he was considered 'can't miss'...so I have my fingers crossed on this one..:)

I agree, Bender wants to play QB. As i've said before I played football and ran track with his dad, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Tay head somewhere for a couple years, find out he may not be a D1 QB, and transfer to Nebraska for an athlete position when KState or whoever he signs with tries to get him to switch positions. Though, I hope what he wants works out for him, never would root for a kid to fail. Maybe Callahan's kids, but that's another discussion.

Shoff is in a numbers crunch. It's hard for me to think we will take 3 DT's in this class, and we have a few unbelievable DL that have us very high on their list right now. You are right, the staff would definetely not lie to Shoff, we have no reason to think they have been nothing but honest with him. But here is my speculation, take it with a grain of salt:

Our sr. DT Crick has a great first 4 or 5 games, guys like Valentine and co. see that he is graduating and hop on the Husker train. Shoff mid-way thru his senior season still doesn't have his Nebraska offer, and visits Iowa and pulls the trigger with them. Again, just speculation, but I could very easily see it going that way.

I guess I am confussed as I thought Shoff was an OT, so what does the DT's have to do with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back