• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Least Favorite Teams

Cornhuskers7

Trapped in SEC Country
2 Year Member
Mentioned starting this thread when we were discussing last week how much of a "rivalry" the Iowa game was. One thing I think we've noticed is people have distain for a lot of different teams, and many of those are shaped by a variety of factors (location, age, experiences).

Who are you least favorite teams, and why? What are some teams that other Husker fans despise, but you actually don't mind?

Least Favorites
  • Wisconsin- For the last decade, Wisconsin has been the bane of my sporting existence. Number of heartbreaking loses in football, number of blowouts as well. Couple that with being a Kentucky basketball fan and their losses, and the Badgers are high on the list for me. Don't like Paul Chryst, and definitely didn't like Brett Bielema. [I did go to the game this year in Madison, and all the Badger fans I met were very nice. They helped redeem themselves with me, a bit.]
  • Michigan- Some of this is inherited hatred. My dad grew up in Michigan and took a lot of crap from their fans. In the late 90s, my PE teacher was a Michigan fan and we had a strong back and forth about Nebraska-Michigan. I take a great deal of joy in watching them lose. I'll be torn this weekend watching the B1G championship, because I also want a representative in the CFP.
  • Tennessee- I live in Tennessee and have for the last 17 years. I've had to spend a lot of time listening every year to how good they are going to be. I spent a decade having to deal with their fans on sports talk radio shows I hosted. There is probably no other team/fan base I enjoy watching meltdown more than the Vols.
  • Honorable Mention: Texas- This should be for obvious reasons as a Nebraska fan. At one point in time, they probably would have topped my list. But, moving away from the Big 12, not playing them anymore, and them getting a lot worse, have eased some of my distain for them. Granted, I still don't pull for them.
Teams I Don't Mind That Other Huskers Hate
  • Iowa- I don't necessarily like Iowa. I just don't have any strong feelings about them either way. I've never lived in Nebraska and really don't know any Iowa fans. I can understand how regionally it is/would be a rivalry. Worst fan experience I've had with a Iowa fan is evidently this Black Friday a bunch of Iowa fans ran to get in line ahead of my wife and 4 year old daughter (who was wearing a Husker jersey).
  • Ohio State- I used to live near Cincinnati, so I feel like if anyone was going to dislike the Buckeyes it'd be me, but I really don't. Maybe it is because I dislike Michigan as much as I do, that they are essentially the Ying to that Yang. I'm friends with a former Buckeye player, too, which could play a factor. Even with the beatdowns we've taken from them, I don't share the same dislike for them as I do many other B1G teams.

Outside the B1G. Texas followed….and I mean followed by a long way is notre dame and Colorado.

Inside the B1G I almost always root for the B1G to win. I get a certain amount of satisfaction anytime Iowa loses.

KnowRivalry has run a crowd-source project where anyone can take a survey about their most hated rivals (personally) and it aggregates the results. for each team.

There are four categories they assess:
  • Rivalry / Reverse Rivalry: this ranks your top three rivals, but the reverse rivalry shows which teams hate you the most. For example, Nebraska considers our top rival to be Oklahoma (followed by Wisconsin and Iowa), while Oklahoma considers their top rival to be Texas (followed by Oklahoma State and Nebraska). Colorado considers Nebraska to be their top rival, while the Buffs don't crack our top three.

• Prejudice: this ranks how much hate you hold for the fanbase of another team. Not necessarily a rival, but basically a team you simply hate. In order, Texas, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Oklahoma.

• Discrimination: how much do fans discriminate in their relationships with fans of the rival team? Measured using questions such as, "I would be less likely to marry a [rival] fan than a typical fan," or, "As a boss, I would be less likely to hire a [rival] fan than a typical fan." For the Huskers, it's Colorado, Texas, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Oklahoma.

• Schadenfreude: how much joy do you take in the misfortunes of another team? Yet again, for Nebraska, it's Texas, Michigan, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma.

What this tells me is that Husker fans genuinely enjoy the Sooners as rivals, but we're also on friendly terms with them. Same largely goes for Iowa and Wisconsin. We hate them on the field, but don't necessarily discriminate against them or take joy in their failures. But, sheesh, for Texas, Colorado and Michigan, we sure love to hate every part of them, their fans, and take pleasure in their setbacks.

Last edited:

Mentioned starting this thread when we were discussing last week how much of a "rivalry" the Iowa game was. One thing I think we've noticed is people have distain for a lot of different teams, and many of those are shaped by a variety of factors (location, age, experiences).

Who are you least favorite teams, and why? What are some teams that other Husker fans despise, but you actually don't mind?
PENN STATE...just Penn State

I don't watch very many games "live". I still do watch some of Nebraska games live but that number is dwindling. I dvr all B1G games and then watch at my leisure. I'll also dvr teams that I like and watch them if they win. If a team I can't stand gets beat I'll find that game on youtube and watch it. Way too many commercials in games in this day and age. DVR's make a four hour game less than three hours.

Least favorite teams you ask?

ND
Texas
any SEC team except Mississippi St and that only because Leach is there plus my brother went there to play football in the late 50's until he flunked out; he didn't realize he had to go to class.
any team coached by Mack Brown

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back