• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Timing is everything...

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
I'm still on the fence about Frost as a longterm solution for Nebraska, but I have to give Trev props for reading the tea leaves on this one.

LSU, Florida, and USC (but now Oklahoma) are all looking for coaches. I'm not sure Nebraska could have kept up had we tried to land a big splash hire.

It's impossible to say what the 2022 coaching carousel will look like, but I think there was just too much movement at the HC level this year and we were probably smarter to go looking for a OC.

I'm still on the fence about Frost as a longterm solution for Nebraska, but I have to give Trev props for reading the tea leaves on this one.

LSU, Florida, and USC (but now Oklahoma) are all looking for coaches. I'm not sure Nebraska could have kept up had we tried to land a big splash hire.

It's impossible to say what the 2022 coaching carousel will look like, but I think there was just too much movement at the HC level this year and we were probably smarter to go looking for a OC.
Ya, I agree. It might be one of the most competitive times in recent history to be searching for a head coach. I sure don't think Frost has earned a 5th year, but I can understand why Trev made the decision. Hopefully Frost realizes the gift he's been given and puts his ego to rest, and will make changes in the areas he has had repeated trouble with.
It will be interesting to see how the national scene plays out, and if any other of the schools who made changes will have trouble landing a "splash" hire, and instead will repeat the "Steve Pederson Scenario" and hire their 4th or 5th choice.....

I don't think it matters all that much. Every year, there are big jobs open. Last year, it was Texas, Auburn and Tennessee. Next year, 3 more will be open....probably Miami, Florida St. and Texas again.

Nebraska swims in different waters. We aren't prying a successful coach from a P5 job (e.g. Lincoln Riley),regardless of what jobs are open. We couldn't even pry Houston Nutt from Arkansas when Nebraska was still elite. He took $1 million less to not coach Nebraska.

Trev still made the right call though. You need a majority of the fans to give up on Scott or the next guy has zero chance of success.

Last edited:

You can't make a decision whether or not to fire a coach based upon other teams firing their coaches. Because you never know. No one had clue at the start of this season all of those teams would be looking for coaches. And no one has a clue which teams will be looking at this time next year. Could be more competition for coaches next year -- or not.

You just gotta do what's best for your team and not be influenced by other teams. I doubt Trev had this weigh into his decision.

You can't make a decision whether or not to fire a coach based upon other teams firing their coaches. Because you never know. No one had clue at the start of this season all of those teams would be looking for coaches. And no one has a clue which teams will be looking at this time next year. Could be more competition for coaches next year -- or not.

You just gotta do what's best for your team and not be influenced by other teams. I doubt Trev had this weigh into his decision.
Good post.

Everyone is worried about a splash hire instead of the right hire. That is LSU's problem right now. They are just grasping at big names instead of interviewing a group of potential candidates. Sam Pittman was not a splash hire at Arkansas but he was the right hire. Kirby Smart wasn't exactly a household name when Georgia grabbed him. Ohio State could've went big after Urban left but they knew what they had in Ryan Day. I hope that if next year Nebraska is in that boat, Trev takes the time to find the right guy.

Good post.

Everyone is worried about a splash hire instead of the right hire. That is LSU's problem right now. They are just grasping at big names instead of interviewing a group of potential candidates. Sam Pittman was not a splash hire at Arkansas but he was the right hire. Kirby Smart wasn't exactly a household name when Georgia grabbed him. Ohio State could've went big after Urban left but they knew what they had in Ryan Day. I hope that if next year Nebraska is in that boat, Trev takes the time to find the right guy.
I hear Ryan is moving to the nfl

Good post.

Agreed. Looks like LSU is hiring Brian Kelly. That’s splashy for sure but time will tell if it’s right.

It was known prior to the end of the season that USC, LSU and Florida were going to be looking for coaches. There are usually a surprise or two in retirement or firings, so an intelligent AD is going to factor those things in to a decision. While we may not have gone head to head with USC or LSU for candidates, there is always a trickle down effect, much like we are seeing with OU and possibly ISU, ND or Oregon. Those are the dominos a smart AD would be considering.

Watching Riley and Kelly leave top 10 jobs to take top 5 jobs is sobering. If Frost turns it around, he’s probably a lifer. Any Nebraska coach not named Scott Frost having success is very poachable.

Underrated comment. If Frost can catch lightning in a bottle, he's got a lifetime gig in Lincoln and there's probably nowhere else he'd go.

Look at Pat Fitzgerald. That guy could make a school with USC's resources an annual championship contender, but he's gonna die wearing a purple Northwestern jersey.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back