• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smothers

I anxiously await this opportunity for #8.
I watched him a lot after he committed, as they are right down the road. Very good speed, pretty elusive, and threw a pretty good ball….. especially rolling out….. during the many games I witnessed. If the game plan can be schemed to his strengths, whatever those are currently based on limited opportunities, it should be fun to watch.
GBR
Seems we were rolling out AM a bunch lately

I'm hoping Frost will call plays to Smothers strengths! Don't try and turn him into a pocket passer when that's not what he's good at. I'm assuming stand up pocket passes is not his strength. Have him manage the game, lots of RPO's and use our running backs. Don't GIVE the game away with mistakes. We have a good defense and they need to step it up even more. Would be great to see all the kids leaving win their last game for DONU.
Totally agree and I would add, that Smothers doesn't need to be the playmaker. All he needs to do is execute and lead the offense. We have other playmakers at WR, TE and RB that can shine. I think the key will be his decision making, more than his athleticism in this game. Don't force plays and take what the defense gives us.

I have no idea how Smothers will do.
But it's a pretty bad sign that we had a quarterback with a broken jaw, and many other injuries and Frost never turned to Smothers.
The Hawkeye defense isn't going to be a picnic either.

LOGAN SMOTHERS - What's not to like? Was a 4 star recruit out of Alabama. Top 15, dual threat QB in the country. Ran the 400 Meters in 51.34. Top 10 in Bama in the 60 yard dash. Honorable Mention All-State. High School coach, Cody Gross said "He is extremely explosive." A typical high school recruit right? But this is what I like about him. When he is in there he seems to be fired up, so he will have the energy and confidence, but the biggest thing we got going for us, is he has 4.0 g.p.a and wants to go Medical school. Will he be perfect? No way! But can we win with Logan Smothers? Yes, we can. May the STARS fall on the Alabama kid FRIDAY.
Pops I don’t think it’s kool aid you’ve been drinking.

Option, RPO’s and running game(with actual running backs carrying the ball)plays to our OLine strengths as well as Smothers’. Hopefully that’s how Frost calls it, and with the Blackshirts playing the way they are(except some questionable tackling technique), I think the Huskers can take the game Friday. Will be a great way to set the tone for the off-season.

Has good speed. Just based on his HS videos, he seems to have a better and more accurate arm than AM. Very intelligent.

All his bullet points say he should be able to be a good college QB. Problem is that he has virtually zero playing time here. The Buffalo game saw his most action since arriving here.

If he can handle the pressure that comes with starting your first big time football game, then I'd say he will do just fine. The offensive line is key. If they can give him protection, he will settle in. If he's hurried and pressured, it could be a long day.

My hope is that Frost doesn't play call an entire game like he does the last 5 minutes of games. Just let Smothers go. No strings.

Has good speed. Just based on his HS videos, he seems to have a better and more accurate arm than AM. Very intelligent.

All his bullet points say he should be able to be a good college QB. Problem is that he has virtually zero playing time here. The Buffalo game saw his most action since arriving here.

If he can handle the pressure that comes with starting your first big time football game, then I'd say he will do just fine. The offensive line is key. If they can give him protection, he will settle in. If he's hurried and pressured, it could be a long day.

My hope is that Frost doesn't play call an entire game like he does the last 5 minutes of games. Just let Smothers go. No strings.

#14 Dual-Thread QB in his recruiting class.

Just ahead of a guy named Jalen Suggs at 15. That dude was a total wash-out! LOL

Coach's kid – that has to count for something.

Last edited:

I’m sorry, that image made me think of Deliverance.

FF56E4F3-FAE8-4683-A4A4-6BFF695070CE.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back