• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will The Big 12 Be Better Off

I think they will be better off without the 2 cancers moving to the SEC. They have good teams coming in and they have some good teams already there. Texas and Oklahoma are going to be wishing for a time machine to take them back prior to their move. Neither of them are going to be relevant in the SEC for a long time. Just my opinion.

I think the new Big 12 will be just fine. OU should have stayed: Their upside is limited, while their downside risk is substantial. Not a good chess move. They’re boxed in. More money, but at what cost? Poor business decision long term. And they’ve paved the way for little brother to routinely upstage them.
OU will never not sway from Texas’ sack. They need them. Texas doesn’t need OU. That said, they will both struggle. OU will wind up about like Mississippi and Mississippi State, at least for awhile. Once Saban leaves, they might be able to get back into things some. All for a few more million. Both had clear paths in the Big 12, but that’s not good enough. OU probably won’t win another conference title for quite some time. It will be similar to what Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri experienced. Texas made a fatal error running off all the original Big 12 members. All for a few more $$$. They got everyone on their side in the Big 12, because Nebraska was dominant. Things haven’t been the same since. They won’t have that pull in the SEC, at least for the foreseeable future. I can’t wait to see it. Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, even Kansas State and Iowa State (providing Campbell doesn’t leave), have a chance to run rule that conference.

OU will never not sway from Texas’ sack. They need them. Texas doesn’t need OU. That said, they will both struggle. OU will wind up about like Mississippi and Mississippi State, at least for awhile. Once Saban leaves, they might be able to get back into things some. All for a few more million. Both had clear paths in the Big 12, but that’s not good enough. OU probably won’t win another conference title for quite some time. It will be similar to what Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri experienced. Texas made a fatal error running off all the original Big 12 members. All for a few more $$$. They got everyone on their side in the Big 12, because Nebraska was dominant. Things haven’t been the same since. They won’t have that pull in the SEC, at least for the foreseeable future. I can’t wait to see it. Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, even Kansas State and Iowa State (providing Campbell doesn’t leave), have a chance to run rule that conference.

Oklahoma's move to the SEC is also insurance against Texas pulling a "Crazy Ivan" down the road and leaving its soon-to-be-home. OU will still have games against TAMU in Texas, so even if the Longhorns leave (yet) another conference, the Sooners will still be able to recruit the state. Having both A&M and UTA in the same division -- if it happens -- will increase the likelihood Oklahoma has 1 game a season in Texas (if anything happens to the neutral site rivalry game).

I disagree in part with your contention Texas doesn't need Oklahoma. Yeah, there are probably some delusional fans, alums and/or boosters who (mistakenly) think the universe revolves around the University of Texas at Austin. Whatever, lol. Going alone into a new situation is much more challenging than making the move with a familiar partner. Ask Nebraska. Besides, strong programs have developed rivalries over time: Ohio State-Michigan, Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, etc. It's part of the program's identity. When Nebraska was a dominant football program, it played Oklahoma every year. Each made the other better. When the Big XII was formed in 1996, that rivalry disappeared (but Texas-OU continued every year, as did Texas-TAMU). Who do the Huskers (and their fans) really, really look forward to playing against? (A) Iowa; (B) Minnesota; (C) Wisconsin; (D) None of the above; (E) All of the above once Nebraska starts winning. When A&M left the Big XII, Texas lost its in-state rival, leaving Oklahoma as its remaining traditional rival; so the Horns still have 1 big rivalry game every year. In the SEC, Texas-Oklahoma should continue to be a rivalry. Texas-TAMU will likely rekindle into one in time. Honestly, not many outsiders (okay, very few) paid attention when Texas played OK State, Kansas State, Kansas, TCU, Texas Tech or Baylor. But the Red River Rivalry is something even the casual college football fan is aware of and has probably seen now and then.

Last edited:
B12 has been smoldering off & on for some time... once OU & the Whorns leave, it will be a full on trailer park dumpster fire.

Speaking of trailer parks, gonna be fun to watch the crazy SWAC girlfriend gold digger on the prowl in the SEC, can't wait
:Popcorn:

Oklahoma's move to the SEC is also insurance against Texas pulling a "Crazy Ivan" down the road and leaving its soon-to-be-home. OU will still have games against TAMU in Texas, so even if the Longhorns leave (yet) another conference, the Sooners will still be able to recruit the state. Having both A&M and UTA in the same division -- if it happens -- will increase the likelihood Oklahoma has 1 game a season in Texas (if anything happens to the neutral site rivalry game).

I disagree in part with your contention Texas doesn't need Oklahoma. Yeah, there are probably some delusional fans, alums and/or boosters who (mistakenly) think the universe revolves around the University of Texas at Austin. Whatever, lol. Going alone into a new situation is much more challenging than making the move with a familiar partner. Ask Nebraska. Besides, strong programs have developed rivalries over time: Ohio State-Michigan, Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Florida, etc. It's part of the program's identity. When Nebraska was a dominant football program, it played Oklahoma every year. Each made the other better. When the Big XII was formed in 1996, that rivalry disappeared (but Texas-OU continued every year, as did Texas-TAMU). Who do the Huskers (and their fans) really, really look forward to playing against? (A) Iowa; (B) Minnesota; (C) Wisconsin; (D) None of the above; (E) All of the above once Nebraska starts winning. When A&M left the Big XII, Texas lost its in-state rival, leaving Oklahoma as its remaining traditional rival; so the Horns still have 1 big rivalry game every year. In the SEC, Texas-Oklahoma should continue to be a rivalry. Texas-TAMU will likely rekindle into one in time. Honestly, not many outsiders (okay, very few) paid attention when Texas played OK State, Kansas State, Kansas, TCU, Texas Tech or Baylor. But the Red River Rivalry is something even the casual college football fan is aware of and has probably seen now and then.
Texas is Texas. OU does them no favors. Texas would still be, well, Texas, without OU. Texas is the flagship university in a state with 25 million people. Nebraska has 2 million people. No comparison. Texas could go alone anywhere. OU would not be joining the SEC without Texas. They won’t leave the rivalry. They’d lose part of their grip on Texas recruiting wise. That’s why they chose Texas over Nebraska when the Big 12 was formed, even though Nebraska/Oklahoma was the better, and bigger game nationally for a long period of time. Arkansas and Texas was a bigger game than was OU Texas for quite some time being in the Southwest conference (which Texas also destroyed). Point being, if Texas wasn’t so arrogant, greedy, and power hungry, the Big 12 as it was originally, would have been just fine. Texas would probably have been a better team without all their meddling. It’s a huge part of why they are the most underachieving program in history. Oklahoma and Arkansas will probably evolve into a rivalry over time. They will be about the same quality of team over time. I think Arkansas will benefit greatly from them coming. They’ll get back into Texas recruiting heavily.

Texas is 2-0 versus conferences.

The SEC doesn't have a chance.

Texass will go 3-0 eventually.

Biggest mistake the SEC could have ever made long term.

The SEC is a great football conference and has been for a long time. It members aren't beholden to a single program (or two). If Texas attempts to implement its "first among equals" bullsh*t in the SEC that it strong-armed others in the Big XII into acquiescing, the resulting vote will be more embarrassing for the Horns than the record of its football program.

Can't wait to see the "Welcome to the SEC" schedule for Texas and Oklahoma.

Texass is 2-0 in head to head against conferences.

May take a while...but I bet they go 3-0.

They are a cancer.

The only conference I ever will love. Screw the Big 12 and Big ten.
B3F87178-3969-4AAF-86A4-E9FE7E588432.jpeg

Can’t argue. Will take a while though. Although, I’m not even sure about college football in a decade. It’s a wild card. The future of football is uncertain. It could evolve into salaries to a degree. Moms not letting their kids play ball anymore. The talent pool could dry up. The way the past 21 years has gone, I wouldn’t take anything off the table.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back