• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hypothetical question?

In regards to this I had a conversation with @HuskerSuperGenius earlier today and between both of our research it’s hard to find very many…..I’m talking a handful of coaches who have started with 4 losing seasons and been given a fifth. Of the ones I did find none of them ever became successful except Bobby johnson at Vanderbilt. He had 6 straight losing seasons followed by a 7-6 season in his 7th season and then went 2-10 in his 8 th season and was promptly fired.

I guess what I’m saying is Frost needs to have a winning season or he would be in a “first to ever do it” position.
I think he is probably safe, regardless.

I think he is probably safe, regardless.
Maybe not at 3-9 or 4-8. Comparing schedules, a 5-7 finish this year should bring 7-5 or better next year even if the team is no better. So if SF survives for a 5th year, he will get a 6th. (But 5-7 this year almost certainly means we needed to beat Iowa to go bowling, and failed again).

Let’s say NU stays on trajectory and goes 5-7. Plays tough against the Buckeyes and Iowa. Comes back next year, and goes 6-6 or so. What happens then? If the team is highly competitive next year also but comes up short. Is it possible that this could carry on for say, 7-8 years, with Frost piling up a record of something like 42-42 after 7 seasons? What if in year 8, 12-1, then 10-3, 13-1. Is it possible, if NU holds that long, dividends could then be paid? I mean, it’s over half way there now. I’m not sure changing staffs would make anything really better after 7 years. It’s really a tough position for them. They’ll have to figure that out. I’m just curious on others thoughts.

It's going to take a lot of wins to get to 42-42 my friend. He would have to go 27-18 (.600) over the next 45 games to get there. We need some more Fordhams on the schedule to grease the skids.

While I am hoping it happens, that would be one epic turnaround given the results through 3.5 seasons.

Last edited:

It's going to take a lot of wins to get to 42-42 my friend. He would have to go 27-18 (.600) over the next 45 games to get there. We need some more Fordhams on the schedule to grease the skids.

While I am hoping it happens, that would be one epic turnaround given the results through 3.5 seasons.
.... and we will applaud. GBR

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode: That is one magic loogie!

Thats not far fetched. 27-18, if you get it going, should be easy. I was being conservative. It’s possible it takes off, and he goes 33-12, or better. I can’t rule that out.

Thats not far fetched. 27-18, if you get it going, should be easy. I was being conservative. It’s possible it takes off, and he goes 33-12, or better. I can’t rule that out.
He better start recruiting better then…that trajectory needs to be corrected to get to here numbers.

I agree. It all comes down to AM's successor. Are we going to be able to run a kid out there that can take our offense to the next level?
Hopefully but I don't believe it to be Smothers. He could be one of those that just takes off and becomes great, which I hope. You just don't see someone who struggles to throw the ball as he does become a great thrower. I could be very wrong, but I just see more of a McCaffrey type of guy out of him, as they both struggle to throw well. He can deliver some great passes, just not good enough to lead this offense the way AM does

It's not HOPE... It's absolutely obvious that this team is better than it was when Riley left.

The talent, the effort, the team cohesiveness etc.... Those are 100% evident. I was FURIOUS after Illinois. I've done a 180. I want 2 wins in the next 2 weeks and a team that is ready to exercise its Wisconsin demons.

If we do all that... I would bet money we are pre season top 20. That's how you turn a program around... MOMENTUM
We were ranked 24th in the preseason poll in 2019. How did that "momentum" work out?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back