• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Look at Four Important Defensive Stats and DONU's Defense

I can see why my Aztecs are 5-0 and sitting in the top 25. Oh and Greg Bell doing a good job at RB. :Rockon:

C

TO's can change at any time.
Think of the many 'tipped out of reach' interceptions weve missed.
Also, our schedule plays a huge role, as successful teams dont usually turn the ball over but make other teams do so.

Got it, interesting stats. Definitely need a couple of high end edge rushers, we seem to tackle fairly well but don't try to strip. I know Chins is all about getting the ball back to the offense. We've delivered some bone jarring hits where I thought the ball would squirt out but never really happens.

Last edited:
I attached a discussion of the four most important defensive stats as they currently stand and DONU position in the rankings.
Review and discuss further:

prudent-george-w-bush.gif

I think our lower stats have to do with schedule. We have played 3 undefeated top10 teams. Looked at the mid season all american list. We h e played 4 guys off the top of that list. Meaning first team. Hard to put up great stats with that list. In this case stats lie a bit.

I think our lower stats have to do with schedule. We have played 3 undefeated top10 teams. Looked at the mid season all american list. We h e played 4 guys off the top of that list. Meaning first team. Hard to put up great stats with that list. In this case stats lie a bit.
Well, I am not sure that you can say that as did we not:
1. Hold Oklahoma to its lowest point total in what 20 or 30 years.
2. Hold MSU's star running back to under 100 yards for the only time this season. (Maybe a Heisman Season?).

So, DONU has a much improved defense against all its opponents this year. No doubt about that.

And there should be then no doubt or excuse for the stats you see presented here, they " don't lie a little bit" they should be examined for information about why teams in the Top Ten in those numbers are doing winning and DONU is not. Especially C and D.
So you cannot have it both ways. Defense is better and these are the numbers for those games and those opponents.

Closing out games and winning in the 4th quarter is about your defense off the field and DONU is having trouble doing that and lack of sacks contributes. Take off your rose colored glasses, look at facts, as if these numbers can be corrected think how much better stat A, points per game could be and winning could be.

GBR

2. Hold MSU's star running back to under 100 yards for the only time this season. (Maybe a Heisman Season?).

So, DONU has a much improved defense against all its opponents this year. No doubt about that.

And there should be then no doubt or excuse for the stats you see presented here, they " don't lie a little bit" they should be examined for information about why teams in the Top Ten in those numbers are doing winning and DONU is not. Especially C and D.
So you cannot have it both ways. Defense is better and these are the numbers for those games and those opponents.

Closing out games and winning in the 4th quarter is about your defense off the field and DONU is having trouble doing that and lack of sacks contributes. Take off your rose colored glasses, look at facts, as if these numbers can be corrected think how much better stat A, points per game could be and winning could be.

GBR
I believe the critical word for framing this information is "context." I think we are all very happy with the improvement in the defense. We also see some areas where we can still improve, but we may not be as bad at those as it appears because of the caliber of teams we have been playing.

Last edited:

GBR
Hding top teams to tbeir lowest average is still probably better than holding average teams to low stats. We held three top offenses. They still put up numbers. Just not as good. That will not get hou to top ten.

Hding top teams to tbeir lowest average is still probably better than holding average teams to low stats. We held three top offenses. They still put up numbers. Just not as good. That will not get hou to top ten.
I'm not complaining about the Defense at this point. Sure, they leaked in the 4th quarter vs Michigan, but they did get a turnover, and are keeping us in all these games. I was actually surprised we didn't shut Michigan down a little better, because Rutgers, Washington, and Wisconsin held Michigan to less total yardage. Compared to our game, the only Defenses that Michigan gained more yardage on were Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. The tight end and lack of QB pressure (at times) really hurt us in the Michigan game.....

I believe the critical word for framing this information is "context." I think we are all very happy with the improvement in the defense. We also see some areas where we can still improve, but we may not be as bad at those as it appears because of the caliber of teams we have been playing.
Okay, "context", so let's looks at the facts for each game and 3rd down conversion:

Illinois: 6/13 46%
Fordham: 2/13 15%
Buffalo: 11/22 50%
OU: 6/11 55%
MSU: 1/10 10%
NW: 5/14 36%
Michigan: 6/15 40%

So several things:
Clearly the defense, while it was our best unit at Illinois, it was not in the form it is now, thus combined with the ST and offensive disasters you get an opening game loss to a horrible team.

The defensive effort against MSU was lights out and best of the season on a number of levels, holding down their running back, 3rd down conversions, it only lacked help from ST and offense of any amount to give DONU a deserved victory.

So instead of "worsening the numbers" we actually "padded" our stats against a top ten team, who would have thunk it :).

Against Michigan, the difference in talent showed. DONU just does not have the "difference makers" on defense, no Randy Gregorys, Lavonte Davids, the Suns who can individually make plays that turn a game with sacks, turnovers, etc. The defense played well, but not well enough to counter two turnovers and average at best ST play (no return yardage to set up short field).

This is clearly Chins best defense (so far) in his four years at DONU.

GBR

Okay, "context", so let's looks at the facts for each game and 3rd down conversion:

Illinois: 6/13 46%
Fordham: 2/13 15%
Buffalo: 11/22 50%
OU: 6/11 55%
MSU: 1/10 10%
NW: 5/14 36%
Michigan: 6/15 40%

So several things:
Clearly the defense, while it was our best unit at Illinois, it was not in the form it is now, thus combined with the ST and offensive disasters you get an opening game loss to a horrible team.

The defensive effort against MSU was lights out and best of the season on a number of levels, holding down their running back, 3rd down conversions, it only lacked help from ST and offense of any amount to give DONU a deserved victory.

So instead of "worsening the numbers" we actually "padded" our stats against a top ten team, who would have thunk it :).

Against Michigan, the difference in talent showed. DONU just does not have the "difference makers" on defense, no Randy Gregorys, Lavonte Davids, the Suns who can individually make plays that turn a game with sacks, turnovers, etc. The defense played well, but not well enough to counter two turnovers and average at best ST play (no return yardage to set up short field).

This is clearly Chins best defense (so far) in his four years at DONU.

GBR

I would say they have difference makers on defense except at DE. An elite pass rusher is the one thing missing that's keeping this defense from being elite. It's still very good though.

I would say they have difference makers on defense except at DE. An elite pass rusher is the one thing missing that's keeping this defense from being elite. It's still very good though.
This is a top 30 at least defense, best of Chins era.

But we lack:
Sacks: D-line
Turnovers: LB and or DB

SO Think our lack of playmakers is deeper than just the line.

I was hoping that JoJo was going to have either more sacks as a blitzer or more INT's in coverage than he has this year.
Don't understand why he has not been put in positions do more of these things as he did two years ago. :(.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back