• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hypothetical question?

Nebraska had a pretty good defense last year that only gave up the number of points they did because of a really bad kicking game and turnovers. The Seniors are Stille (who is pretty good but not an amazing DL), Williams (who is a very good Safety), Dismuke (again a good safety), and Domann (who is a top NFL pick). Our DB coach has a history of success along with our run game. Domann has been so good that we have not been placing a lot of guys on the right side. However, Clements (yes I know he is currently a MLB), and other players can come in and perform well. Our LB core went form being the weakness on our D to possibly a strength in 7 games. No matter what happens, we are not going to go from a great D to a poor D.

Yes we have some great players. But what we also have is a great system. At corner CTB, with the exception of the Michigan game, has been disappointing. Whatever happens to us on D we will be fine.

The super senior point is moot. Other offenses have super seniors as well. In fact, on D we only have 3 super seniors. Remember Dismuke played in limited action the last two years. Williams didn't even play 2 years ago because of injury. We have strong coaching on D.

I'm not disagreeing with you, which is why I said that I have faith in Chinander and that I wouldn't expect our defense to fall off the map even with a bunch of personnel losses. But -- there is no doubt, the defense will be less experienced next season. The odds are very good it won't be quite as dominating as this year. I didn't say it would be poor. It might go from a great defense to a good defense, which is fine and understandable. But, if the defense is a bit less, the offense will have to make up for it -- which may be difficult to do with a first year starting QB (if AM were to leave). Remember, the name and game of this thread is "hypothetical."

One is a long term answer, goal. The other is a quick band aide to win immediately. He may have some huge holes pretty quick there. Have to see how it all plays out.
We may have a huge hole next year if Smothers doesn't work out. I think there has to be a happy median where the portal is an important source of talent, especially at QB (talk of Rattler tranferring after being benched) as that is a high profile position and I see lots of QBs transferring if they're not starting by their 2nd year.

We may have a huge hole next year if Smothers doesn't work out. I think there has to be a happy median where the portal is an important source of talent, especially at QB (talk of Rattler tranferring after being benched) as that is a high profile position and I see lots of QBs transferring if they're not starting by their 2nd year.
Yes agree. And the incoming QB has a blown out knee.

I hope some of our better assistants do not bail and head to greener pastures that could guarantee them another 3-4 years of employment. Being an assistant coach can be rough if the future is not 100% certain. This could be the off season where an assistant chooses to leave on his own regardless of how the season finishes.

Trev needs to be ready for some raises/matching offers for certain assistant coaches. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Frost has earned another year just with the performances vs. OU and UM. You don't hit the reset button when Nebraska is competing favorably with potential playoff teams. You could ask "what if Frost loses out?" but he won't so it's moot. This might be the best Nebraska team since 2010.

The open question is whether is this is a repeat of the second half of 2018 (lost in OT to #21 Northwestern, walloped Minnesota & B-CU, took #3 OSU to the wire, beat MSU, lost to Iowa in a squeaker). I thought our days of looking like an average MAC team were over at that point......and then Ohio St., Minnesota and Purdue happened in 2019.

If Frost is .500ish in 2022, it think it's safe to assume that's just who he is. But as long as he goes bowling, I think it's year 7 before a change is contemplated.
The second paragraph is spot on in highlighting a key question. Almost everyone sees the improvement in play (but not record) this year. But what makes the close losses to good teams and wins against bad teams this year different from the second half of 2018? We saw regression, not further improvement, for the next two seasons (plus this year's opener) following the strong finish in 2018.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here as much as anything, but it's a question that should at least be asked.

What sucks about the schedule this year is it appears that it's an all or nothing situation. NU is either playing a top 10 team, or someone not very good. And based on the way things are looking, I don't see that changing the rest of the year. It'd be nice to see where we stack up against a team ranked between 20-25.
Wisconsin might fit the mold. They probably won't be ranked, but there's a good chance they are 6-4 going into the game.

I'm not disagreeing with you, which is why I said that I have faith in Chinander and that I wouldn't expect our defense to fall off the map even with a bunch of personnel losses. But -- there is no doubt, the defense will be less experienced next season. The odds are very good it won't be quite as dominating as this year. I didn't say it would be poor. It might go from a great defense to a good defense, which is fine and understandable. But, if the defense is a bit less, the offense will have to make up for it -- which may be difficult to do with a first year starting QB (if AM were to leave). Remember, the name and game of this thread is "hypothetical."
I would say the LB core will be better, huge in the Big.
D line will be as good.
DBs, a slight falloff, but safety is where we'll need to improve.
Losing Jojo is going to be our hardest player to replace.

I think as long as they rennovate the stadium and instal seat backs and toilets, I will continue to ... watch the games on TV.

Let’s say NU stays on trajectory and goes 5-7. Plays tough against the Buckeyes and Iowa. Comes back next year, and goes 6-6 or so. What happens then? If the team is highly competitive next year also but comes up short. Is it possible that this could carry on for say, 7-8 years, with Frost piling up a record of something like 42-42 after 7 seasons? What if in year 8, 12-1, then 10-3, 13-1. Is it possible, if NU holds that long, dividends could then be paid? I mean, it’s over half way there now. I’m not sure changing staffs would make anything really better after 7 years. It’s really a tough position for them. They’ll have to figure that out. I’m just curious on others thoughts.
In regards to this I had a conversation with @HuskerSuperGenius earlier today and between both of our research it’s hard to find very many…..I’m talking a handful of coaches who have started with 4 losing seasons and been given a fifth. Of the ones I did find none of them ever became successful except Bobby johnson at Vanderbilt. He had 6 straight losing seasons followed by a 7-6 season in his 7th season and then went 2-10 in his 8 th season and was promptly fired.

I guess what I’m saying is Frost needs to have a winning season or he would be in a “first to ever do it” position.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back