• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

12 team playoff

If you want more teams in the playoff, hope Alabama doesn't make the top 4 this year......that will speed the expansion at light speed

I don't really want more teams, I liked the old BCS. But, note that I started on this 12 team idea around the time of the original playoff talk and came up with reasons why I think 12 (with on campus sites and byes) is better than 4 or 8 or 16 that was being discussed back then. Going to more without on campus or byes is stupid, then teams only need to finish at the minimum level to be "in" the playoff...neutral sites and no byes would provide no incentive to schedule (and beat) really good teams in the non-conference.

I'd watch every one of those games. But I think it will look a lot different by the end of the regular season.

Definitely, the big boys of the Big Ten East have yet to play any games against each other.

The original purpose of the 4 team playoff was to eliminate the possibility that another team deserving of a 1 or 2 spot didn't get left out like Texas Tech did in 2005 (I think the date is right). Everyone close to the situation knew this would be quickly hijacked into a playoff that just added teams endlessly. The purpose of a college football season is to be eligible for the top 2 spots and not lose a game. It is why, NU never lost a game in any of their 5 title seasons. Now you see one or 2 loss champs all the time. The playoff has devaluted the regular season and the Bowl season. I am 100% against adding any more teams to the playoff. In fact, it should go back to the way it was with the Bowl Alliance.

The original purpose of the 4 team playoff was to eliminate the possibility that another team deserving of a 1 or 2 spot didn't get left out like Texas Tech did in 2005 (I think the date is right). Everyone close to the situation knew this would be quickly hijacked into a playoff that just added teams endlessly. The purpose of a college football season is to be eligible for the top 2 spots and not lose a game. It is why, NU never lost a game in any of their 5 title seasons. Now you see one or 2 loss champs all the time. The playoff has devaluted the regular season and the Bowl season. I am 100% against adding any more teams to the playoff. In fact, it should go back to the way it was with the Bowl Alliance.
I agree... but, I started kicking around this idea many years ago on the premise that IF a playoff was inevitable, how could we keep the regular season as meaningful as possible.

Key linchpins here... Bye to the top 4 teams and they host on campus on second round. Teams 5-8 host on campus in first round. Teams 9-12 should just be thankful to be in.

Teams will have an incentive to play and win difficult games to earn those byes and home games. Sure, a good team could pad their schedule or lose a couple of games and roll through the playoffs. In fact, I'm sure it would happen someday.

IF ND would close their degree programs in Theology, and open a ND Med. School, they would be in the AAU. However, they would have to do experiments on humans.

Well, looks like my idea from something like 10+ years ago finally comes to fruition.

Using Massey's composite ranking of 35 systems (until CFP comes out):

Four Highest Ranked Conference Champs (bye and home game):
#1 Alabama
#3 Ohio State
#5 Clemson
#6 Oklahoma State

Next Two Highest Ranked Conference Champs (Guaranteed entry):
#15 Utah
#17 Cincinnati

At Large:
#2 Georgia
#4 Michigan
#7 Oklahoma
#8 Tennessee
#9 Arkansas
#10 Penn State

Matchups (I am adjusting to avoid rematches in first two rounds):

#10 Penn State at #7 Oklahoma
- Winner at #1 Alabama

#17 Cincinnati at #2 Georgia
- Winner at #6 Oklahoma State

#15 Utah at #4 Michigan
- Winner at #5 Clemson

#9 Arkansas at #8 Tennessee
- Winner at #3 Ohio State

Last edited:
Update using the Massey Composite (60 current ranking systems combined). Some interesting matchups.

In the new real-life format, top four conference champs get the byes and the next two conference champs (USC/UCF) are automatically in. I think the real-life is looking like 2nd round at neutral bowl sites...I prefer giving conference champs the reward of a home game in the second round.

#9 USC at #7 Mississippi (Ole Miss does not play uGa in regular season)
- winner at #1 Georgia

#23 Central Florida at #2 Tennessee
- winner at #8 TCU

#11 Texas at #4 Michigan
- winner at #6 Clemson

#10 UCLA at #5 Alabama
- winner at #3 Ohio State

Last edited:

Update using the Massey Composite (60 current ranking systems combined). Some interesting matchups.

In the new real-life format, top four conference champs get the byes and the next two conference champs (USC/UCF) are automatically in. I think the real-life is looking like 2nd round at neutral bowl sites...I prefer giving conference champs the reward of a home game in the second round.

#9 USC at #7 Mississippi (Ole Miss does not play uGa in regular season)
- winner at #1 Georgia

#12 Central Florida at #2 Tennessee
- winner at #8 TCU

#11 Texas at #4 Michigan
- winner at #6 Clemson

#10 UCLA at #5 Alabama
- winner at #3 Ohio State
Tennessee and UCF would be funny matchup. Heupel leaves UCF to bring Tennessee to the playoff, only to have to play UCF.

You'd also have a Kiffin revenge game with Ole Miss-USC.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back