• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hypothetical question?

Ahhh, yes sir, however, it’s likely that NU may have a new QB, and, a bunch of seniors are leaving. That has to be factored in as well. So, easier schedule, but, some new dudes in there. That could make that easier schedule, not so much easier. Just some things to consider, which is why I asked.

Take into account, while the Covid year gave college athletes an extra year of eligibility, it doesn't change the requirement to be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible for the NFL. We could very well lose over half our starting defense.

I love Chinander, and I doubt the defense is going to just fall off the map. But it was extremely experienced coming into this season, and it will definitely be less experienced next year.

Last edited:

So what you are saying this is almost a must win weekend once again. Doesn't it seem like every game this year other than Oklahoma has been must win-everyone thought we would lose that one? We keep getting teased with these close games but the fact remains we lost to Illinois and we only have 1 win in conference this year against probably the worst team in the conference. I would guess Illinois is the second worst. We are definitely improved but lose to Minnesota or Purdue and I think the fire gets stoked again.
Yea that's pretty much how I see it. I just wish we were always one game above .500 trying to maintain the .500 instead of always one game behind. We still have 5 games left. If we beat Minnesota and Purdue it will tell us we are well positioned and at that point Wisconsin and Iowa will even look beatable. Losing either those first two and all of a sudden even Wisconsin and Iowa look like stretches and we would need to win both of them. It simply is crunch time these next two weeks.

So what you are saying this is almost a must win weekend once again. Doesn't it seem like every game this year other than Oklahoma has been must win-everyone thought we would lose that one? We keep getting teased with these close games but the fact remains we lost to Illinois and we only have 1 win in conference this year against probably the worst team in the conference. I would guess Illinois is the second worst. We are definitely improved but lose to Minnesota or Purdue and I think the fire gets stoked again.
Every game in college football is a must win for some form of stakes. Your argument is irrelevant.

You asked about progress of the team. Every team has to absorb graduating players. I don't really see that as particularly unique to Nebraska next year, so relative to other teams I wouldn't give that situation any extra weight. My personal feeling is there is just as much gained from the development of the talented young players having an additional year. You can't ask us to anticipate things like whether Martinez stays or who comes/goes with the transfer portal now. We can't have an intelligent discussion about that stuff at this point.
It’s unique because NU is struggling to get to .500 w them. While the schedule lessens some next year, NU is also losing quite a few key players, so next year could be similar.

Take into account, while the Covid year gave college athletes an extra year of eligibility, it doesn't change the requirement to be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible for the NFL. We could very well lose over half our starting defense.

I love Chinander, and I doubt the defense is going to just fall off the map. But it was extremely experience coming into this season, and it will definitely be less experienced next year.
Indeed so. I think NU has some future pros on its roster. If this exact team were back next year, NU could go 10-2 or better with that schedule. As we know though, that won’t be the case.

I love Chinander, and I doubt the defense is going to just fall off the map. But it was extremely experience coming into this season, and it will definitely be less experienced next year.
Nebraska had a pretty good defense last year that only gave up the number of points they did because of a really bad kicking game and turnovers. The Seniors are Stille (who is pretty good but not an amazing DL), Williams (who is a very good Safety), Dismuke (again a good safety), and Domann (who is a top NFL pick). Our DB coach has a history of success along with our run game. Domann has been so good that we have not been placing a lot of guys on the right side. However, Clements (yes I know he is currently a MLB), and other players can come in and perform well. Our LB core went form being the weakness on our D to possibly a strength in 7 games. No matter what happens, we are not going to go from a great D to a poor D.

Yes we have some great players. But what we also have is a great system. At corner CTB, with the exception of the Michigan game, has been disappointing. Whatever happens to us on D we will be fine.

The super senior point is moot. Other offenses have super seniors as well. In fact, on D we only have 3 super seniors. Remember Dismuke played in limited action the last two years. Williams didn't even play 2 years ago because of injury. We have strong coaching on D.

Defensive Attrition could be way worse than anyone thinks.

We know

JoJo
CTB
Williams
Dismuke
Stille
Snacks

potentially we lose

Nelson
Tannor
Reimer
Heinrich
Rodgers
Reily
Thomas

Transfers who knows.

The Defense will be ……dare I say it young!

This was….is the year to get it done despite scheduling.

We know

JoJo
CTB
Williams
Dismuke
Stille
Snacks

potentially we lose

Nelson
Tannor
Reimer
Heinrich
Rodgers
Reily
Thomas

Transfers who knows.

How do we know for sure about Daniels? He's a junior. As far as your "potentially we lose" column, can you please the reasons why you think we will lose them? Because most of those names don't really make a lot of sense.

They still have Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State left on their schedule.
True, and good chance they lose two or all three of those. Still, they finish the regular season at say 9-3 in year 2.

Not trying to go anti-Frost here, but Tucker inherited a situation that was nearly as bad - and perhaps as bad - as NU 2018. Hell, Tucker was hired in February or March if I remember correctly.

How do we know for sure about Daniels? He's a junior. As far as your "potentially we lose" column, can you please the reasons why you think we will lose them? Because most of those names don't really make a lot of sense.
I believe that they are all draft eligible. I don’t think most will leave but could potentially leave.

I thought snacks was a Senior….he’s a covid Jr. put him on potentially gone list.

Last edited:
Let’s say NU stays on trajectory and goes 5-7. Plays tough against the Buckeyes and Iowa. Comes back next year, and goes 6-6 or so. What happens then? If the team is highly competitive next year also but comes up short. Is it possible that this could carry on for say, 7-8 years, with Frost piling up a record of something like 42-42 after 7 seasons? What if in year 8, 12-1, then 10-3, 13-1. Is it possible, if NU holds that long, dividends could then be paid? I mean, it’s over half way there now. I’m not sure changing staffs would make anything really better after 7 years. It’s really a tough position for them. They’ll have to figure that out. I’m just curious on others thoughts.
Just fire him and his staff now..why wait?

We know

JoJo
CTB
Williams
Dismuke
Stille
Snacks

potentially we lose

Nelson
Tannor
Reimer
Heinrich
Rodgers
Reily
Thomas

Transfers who knows.

Along the same lines, the earth may be hit by an asteroid, delaying the next season for a few thousand years. Or perhaps every first team all-American defender that isn't graduating will transfer to NU. These ridiculous hypotheticals don't lend themselves to intelligent discussion. We'll have to wait and see what the roster looks like before the hand-wringing can really start in earnest.

Along the same lines, the earth may be hit by an asteroid, delaying the next season for a few thousand years. Or perhaps every first team all-American defender that isn't graduating will transfer to NU. These ridiculous hypotheticals don't lend themselves to intelligent discussion. We'll have to wait and see what the roster looks like before the hand-wringing can really start in earnest.
Of course it’s not intelligent discussion it’s a football forum.

If Frost could work the port hole as well as you theorized, that would have happened years ago. But hey, any is possible as you suggested, I’d be all for it though.

I was suggesting, as you so friendly put it. That there is no way to predict what next season will look like until we get there. So, know point saying that this years 6 wins are better than next years 9 wins.

And my hand ringing is for this season…especially Minnesota.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back