• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stepp? Morrison?

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
Have Frost or any of the other coaches said anything about why Stepp and Morrison didn't get any playing time after Yant got benched? For such a high profile guy coming from USC, Stepp has seemed to completely disappear. He only got 5 carries in the blowout over NW, none against MSU and none against Oklahoma. I hope he's not regretting his choice to transfer to Nebraska.

Last edited:

Coaches seem to go with the hot hand. I'm more perplexed why Yant didn't get more carries, especially in short yardage downs. I was getting pretty frustrated in the first half watching Johnson being used to run up the gut on a stout Michigan D line.
Either way, I would bet we see 1 or 2 RB's hit the transfer portal. It's unfortunate, but 4-5 backs is a crowded room.

Coaches seem to go with the hot hand. I'm more perplexed why Yant didn't get more carries, especially in short yardage downs. I was getting pretty frustrated in the first half watching Johnson being used to run up the gut on a stout Michigan D line.
Either way, I would bet we see 1 or 2 RB's hit the transfer portal. It's unfortunate, but 4-5 backs is a crowded room.
They seem to have a problem identifying who the best running back is. They might need to bring in an analyst

I think yant whiffed on his 1st opportunity at pass pro, then ran into the qb on a hand off.

They appear to trust Johnson

Not sure why so exclusively.

I think yant whiffed on his 1st opportunity at pass pro, then ran into the qb on a hand off.

They appear to trust Johnson

Not sure why so exclusively.

I think he's getting better every game, and he's becoming a really good option as a receiver out of the backfield. Hopefully he continues improving, although I'm not opposed to another back getting more carries as well.

Scott has said repeatedly that they are looking for a lead man. Right now, Johnson is that guy.

It all depends upon what they show from week to week. I suspect with the lack of rotation, there will be one or two RBs looking to move on after this year, which is something everyone will need to contend with in this new environment.

Overall, I love what Johnson is doing for us. My only complaint is the personnel he is sometimes matched with (3rd and short should be Yant/Stepp territory, period). Slamming 185lb RBs into the backs of our OL is not a recipe for success. But he has earned that starting role. So happy for the kid considering where he was on the depth chart during camp.

Last edited:
Coaches seem to go with the hot hand. I'm more perplexed why Yant didn't get more cairres, especially in short yardage downs. I was getting pretty frustrated in the first half watching Johnson being used to run up the gut on a stout Michigan D line.

I agree. Yant was blasting defenders backwards when he picked up some steam. Johnson seemed to be running just fine, though.

Every team has 4-5 backs, if not more.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back