• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Trev Alberts did on Sunday.

That's because Trev lived it. Nebraska always talks about hiring "within the family."

Think about this for a minute: The last time we had "Husker Family members" at BOTH the AD and HC positions is when they promoted these two guys.

5acbd258713cb.image.jpg

We've had four former players/coaches take on the Head Coach or Athletic Director position: Solich and Frost (HC), and Devaney and Osborne (AD). If you want to get technical, Dave Rimington was an interim AD for a period, and Pelini "returned" as Head Coach, although he only coached a single season as Frank's DC. I'm not sure if a single year as an Assistant Coach makes him a "returning" Husker or not. Better ask Bob Diaco if he feels like a Husker.

Anyway, you can argue that Osborne was the AD who hired back Pelini, and I'll give you half-credit for that answer. But we've never had two former players occupying both those roles. And never had any player/coach combo with any "significant Husker tenure" since Devaney & Osborne.
I know I will get called for blasphamy here but technically. Steve and Frank were both in the family. Pedersen went to NU came up as an assistant to dollar Bill.

One thing I've noticed is when he talks it sounds a little like articulate executive bureaucratese, but still he is often saying something substantial, which makes sense and shows good judgement of the situation, and shows consistency over time. Even when people can't exactly put their finger on exactly why, they fall in behind people who can truly do that, because we all long to be well led and we all want to do something great.

I better hold back a little because I don't want to annoint him as the second coming. It's still early. But at this point I couldn't be more pleased with Alberts.
HeEz GoNnA cUt RaSsLiNg

One thing you know Trev sees is how the team has responded in the 2nd half against formidable opponents. The last few years we couldn't keep a halftime lead to save our lives, and seemed to be routinely out coached as other (sometimes poor) teams made adjustments at the half and steamrolled us in many cases. Our 3rd quarter performances this year, especially vs Michigan, have shown that we are doing much better at competing in the 2nd half of games. There is something different about these last few games, and I'm hoping it's consistent as we finish out the schedule and get to a bowl game.......I don't think the team will decline an invitation this year.....

Last edited:
One thing you know Trev sees is how the team has responded in the 2nd half against formidable opponents. The last few years we couldn't keep a halftime lead to save our lives, and seemed to be routinely out coached as other (sometimes poor) teams made adjustments at the half and steamrolled us in many cases. Our 3rd quarter performances this year, especially vs Michigan, have shown that we are doing much better at competing in the 2nd half of games. There is something different about these last few games, and I'm hoping it's consistent as we finish out the schedule and get to a bowl game.......I don't think the team will decline an invitation this year.....
I agree. One thing I'd add is that this isn't just all because of Trev. Trev doesn't coach the team. Scott does. So while Trev has come in and created a better atmosphere of leadership and environment, Scott too has been growing and maturing and making decisions that have led to the product we see on the field.

I do not necessarily believe that you need ADs and Coaches who've been at the university previously in another role (player, assistant ...). Nebraska football is not THAT unique that it requires inhouse knowledge in order to do these jobs. Having that kind of familiarity doesn't hurt but it is not a requirement to be successful.

What Trev Alberts did was great leadership ... his mentors throughout his life help create that kind of person and leader he's become. You don't need to be a former UNL player to have those skills and values. Bill Moos was a darn good AD ... he wasn't a former NU player. Bill Byrne was as well. Nick Saban is a Kent State graduate.
In my opinion Scott is not a great or maybe even a good leader. I base that strictly on what happens on the field and what has happened over the last three years. This is a team that can't seem to get our of its' own way. To me that is lack of leadership.

I agree. One thing I'd add is that this isn't just all because of Trev. Trev doesn't coach the team. Scott does. So while Trev has come in and created a better atmosphere of leadership and environment, Scott too has been growing and maturing and making decisions that have led to the product we see on the field.
Agreed, and that was a point I was trying to make in the post. Trev recognizes the difference in this team, compared to previous years, and acknowledges that it's a result of the coaching staff's efforts. If we were seeing the epic meltdowns that we have seen in the past, I don't think we see the effusive praise from Trev. As fans, if we are going to criticize the staff when we see shortcomings, we should be willing to give them credit when we see progress. The last few games have shown progress, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Agreed, and that was a point I was trying to make in the post. Trev recognizes the difference in this team, compared to previous years, and acknowledges that it's a result of the coaching staff's efforts. If we were seeing the epic meltdowns that we have seen in the past, I don't think we see the effusive praise from Trev. As fans, if we are going to criticize the staff when we see shortcomings, we should be willing to give them credit when we see progress. The last few games have shown progress, in my opinion.
Yep. Good stuff. I think we will go 4-1 rest of the way and upset either Iowa or Ohio State.

In my opinion Scott is not a great or maybe even a good leader. I base that strictly on what happens on the field and what has happened over the last three years. This is a team that can't seem to get our of its' own way. To me that is lack of leadership.
I agree that Frost, at times, has shown questionable leadership in his first few years. But, I am hoping that this is something that Trev can help him develop. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fix leadership and that fixes culture. I'm not sure leadership is "fixable". I haven't fully decided if leadership is a skill that can be learned (at least learned well enough).

You can teach someone to act like a leader to some extent and you can certainly mentor a leader to be better. If that's what you mean by fixable, I agree. I think Frost is a leader and that with better mentoring he'll only improve.
The US military schools and academies know how to teach leadership. Not everyone can learn, but the military knows what and how it operates.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back