• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hypothetical question?

so far under Frosts watch
4-8
5-7
3-5
3-4

He still has time this year to change the trajectory of his record. If he doesn’t change the trajectory this year. It doesn’t project better seasons. It’s based on hope. Will Trev put his job on the line for hope?

I hope we go 8-4 and win a bowl game.

The trajectory says 5-7.

6-6 he’s back and things can project upwards next year. 5-7 Trev will just be relaying on hope for a better record.
Your foresight is as good as your spelling. Would you rather us go 9-3 and win only by miracle to 2 win teams while getting blown out of every meaningful game, or would you like us to one day be relevant?

One is a long term answer, goal. The other is a quick band aide to win immediately. He may have some huge holes pretty quick there. Have to see how it all plays out.

I agree that MSU could have some holes next season. That's where the "philosophy" of roster construction comes in. Once Snyder started down the JUCO road, he had to continue on it lest he have some major holes in a particular year. Tucker may end up using the portal a lot more than most coaches.

How is it possible for Mel Tucker to be 6-0 in year 2, ranked in the top 10 and have a game last week where for the first time FBS HISTORY the QB throws for 300+, the RB runs for 200+ and the WR catches for 200+. Must be some kind of miracle that could only happen in Michigan…
FWIW, it's the 5th time it's been done.

But yeah, the grass is greener in Sparty land. Makes you wonder / makes you jealous. Circumstances are different.

It looks we're on the right path now, so I'm not going to complain. Let's see how the season plays out.

Trev needs to come out and make a statement about Frost soon, recruiting is being hurt right now, and this next class doesn't look good at all. no way to spin that one.

I believe, and agree with, Frost comes back regardless of what happens the rest of the way.. ok, short of a collapse. The year after that he will be required to produce enough wins to get to a bowl game, and maybe even required to win that game.

Despite what some think we have seen progress, which wins him next year. Trev needs to say it now.

He still has 4 years after this one. I would say the U would have to make some sort of a statement that coach Frost is NOT on any hot seat, nor will he be. There should be no hurry to extend until at least after 2022. By then, everyone will know where things stand.
If Frost goes 5-7 or worse and Trev comes out and says he’s not on the hot seat. Trev will have boxed himself in, if Frost has another bad season of in 2022.

If Frost doesn’t go 6-6 or better Trev will have some tough decisions to make.

Frost has earned another year just with the performances vs. OU and UM. You don't hit the reset button when Nebraska is competing favorably with potential playoff teams. You could ask "what if Frost loses out?" but he won't so it's moot. This might be the best Nebraska team since 2010.

The open question is whether is this is a repeat of the second half of 2018 (lost in OT to #21 Northwestern, walloped Minnesota & B-CU, took #3 OSU to the wire, beat MSU, lost to Iowa in a squeaker). I thought our days of looking like an average MAC team were over at that point......and then Ohio St., Minnesota and Purdue happened in 2019.

If Frost is .500ish in 2022, it think it's safe to assume that's just who he is. But as long as he goes bowling, I think it's year 7 before a change is contemplated.

Last edited:
I agree that MSU could have some holes next season. That's where the "philosophy" of roster construction comes in. Once Snyder started down the JUCO road, he had to continue on it lest he have some major holes in a particular year. Tucker may end up using the portal a lot more than most coaches.
And he may be mostly successful doing so.
He seems fairly competent

Trev needs to come out and make a statement about Frost soon, recruiting is being hurt right now, and this next class doesn't look good at all. no way to spin that one.

I believe, and agree with, Frost comes back regardless of what happens the rest of the way.. ok, short of a collapse. The year after that he will be required to produce enough wins to get to a bowl game, and maybe even required to win that game.

Despite what some think we have seen progress, which wins him next year. Trev needs to say it now.
Seems like that ESPN article today was a vote of confidence. A lot of good quotes from Trev in there.

Your foresight is as good as your spelling. Would you rather us go 9-3 and win only by miracle to 2 win teams while getting blown out of every meaningful game, or would you like us to one day be relevant?
It true my smelling and grander are terabyte. But that will be good for you and the other grammar police on this forum. You can always feel smarter than I.

As for foresight I only know of one way to try to predict the future…..by looking at past results.

Maybe you have some kind of looking glass technology you’d like to share with us?

I have no way to answer your last question because I have no idear what’s ya mean by …..relevant,

It’s not a far fetched hypo. It’s actually pretty real, considering where things currently sit.
True, it isn't far-fetched. The issue is that I can give you 10 different paths to get there/other considerations that would be decisive one way or another. That's the case with any hypothetical.

How is it possible for Mel Tucker to be 6-0 in year 2, ranked in the top 10 and have a game last week where for the first time FBS HISTORY the QB throws for 300+, the RB runs for 200+ and the WR catches for 200+. Must be some kind of miracle that could only happen in Michigan…
Because he took over a well disciplined team that had a winning mentality and was coached by one of the better coaches in the big ten. They had a tough season before he took over but in general Dantonio has had them near the top of the Big Ten. Two very different teams. It just isn't as cut and dry and it is by no means a miracle.

I am confused, Tucker took over a Dantonio team that had a rough year, but was very productive the prior season.

Frost took over a team that had a rough year, but was very productive the prior season.

Guess some coaches are just slow learners.

I guess I have a different view of what "productive season" means. NU was 4-8 Riley's last year and while they were 9-4 the prior season their last six games they were 2-4. Riley who went 6-7, 9-4 and 4-8 took over a team that went 9-4 and 9-3 (under Bo) the two previous seasons. Scott inherited a 4-8 team and went 4-8, 5-7 and 3-5. But Riley did go to two bowl games in his three years.

I wonder if some posters are even Husker fans in here. Some are never happy.

As for MSU, getting to 8 wins this year is no sure thing. Just looked at their schedule. They will have fun down the stretch. And the way Tucker filled his team from the portal, I would bet that will come back to bit him. So he goes 8-4 this year but goes 3-9 next year, would that be OK in Nebraska? I would rather Frost keep building than take a shortcut for a quick payoff that will cause problems in a season or two.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back