• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hypothetical question?

6-6 in 2022 will be a MAJOR disappointment.

3 Non-conference games at home ... 2 very winnable. Rematch with OU.
3 cross-over games against Indiana, Rutgers and Michigan ... 2 very winnable and a rematch with whiney-face!
2 Bye weeks before the Michigan and Wisconsin games.

Only "tough" part of the schedule is Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan games are on the road.
6-6 in 2021 is a disappointment , but we look like a better team

And if we are one win better next year, doesn't mean we've progressed.

eyeball test

I fear that that’s exactly what will happen. Frost ends up 5-7 and they decide to kick the can down the street. So we roll with a coach that has to recruit being on the hot seat and all the ESPN boys talking about Frost and Nebraska in a negative light. So the next thing they have to extend his contract again because his lack of extension will be used against him. And we still have a losing coach and a 20 million buy out.
He still has 4 years after this one. I would say the U would have to make some sort of a statement that coach Frost is NOT on any hot seat, nor will he be. There should be no hurry to extend until at least after 2022. By then, everyone will know where things stand.

I fear that that’s exactly what will happen. Frost ends up 5-7 and they decide to kick the can down the street. So we roll with a coach that has to recruit being on the hot seat and all the ESPN boys talking about Frost and Nebraska in a negative light. So the next thing they have to extend his contract again because his lack of extension will be used against him. And we still have a losing coach and a 20 million buy out.
Frost will not be on the hot seat if he delivers in the next 6 games

6-6 in 2022 will be a MAJOR disappointment.

3 Non-conference games at home ... 2 very winnable. Rematch with OU.
3 cross-over games against Indiana, Rutgers and Michigan ... 2 very winnable and a rematch with whiney-face!
2 Bye weeks before the Michigan and Wisconsin games.

Only "tough" part of the schedule is Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan games are on the road.
We have been saying that about 6-6 for 3 years and every year we are trying to beat Iowa to make a bowl. 6-6 won’t be a disappointment if we have another losing season in 2021. If we go 7-5 it would be disappointing. Let’s see what happens.

How is it possible for Mel Tucker to be 6-0 in year 2, ranked in the top 10 and have a game last week where for the first time FBS HISTORY the QB throws for 300+, the RB runs for 200+ and the WR catches for 200+. Must be some kind of miracle that could only happen in Michigan…

Tucker has taken a "shortcut" that Frost chose not to take.

Tucker's got somewhere around 40 new players from the transfer portal this season. Many of those guys have Power 5 college experience, particularly on defense. He's built the MSU roster much the same way Snyder used to build KSU's roster with JUCO guys.

We know from last offseason that Frost said he liked what he had at QB and wasn't going to go get a transfer QB. (Ironically, the transfer QB MSU got in the portal isn't starting). He went and got Toure to fill a need at WR. I don't know whether he looked at any OL in the portal or if the guys he tried to get just chose to go elsewhere.

Frost seems to have a different philosophy on how to build a roster than Tucker. He also might have struck out on getting some guys in the portal, we'll probably never know.

Last edited:
We have been saying that about 6-6 for 3 years and every year we are trying to beat Iowa to make a bowl. 6-6 won’t be a disappointment if we have another losing season in 2021. If we go 7-5 it would be disappointing. Let’s see what happens.
We've already lost two games most 6-6 prognosticators thought we'd win

So if we are setting the bar like this we did we even fire two winning coaches
That’s very true. Bo was ready to be fired with the adm he had, so it was going down with those fools in charge. Pedersen just wanted his own thing, he was stupid. Those clowns are no longer here, so now, the decision is, cut one of your own, who could be close to turning a major corner, or cut bait, and move on? Neither is sure fire.

That’s very true. Bo was ready to be fired with the adm he had, so it was going down with those fools in charge. Pedersen just wanted his own thing, he was stupid. Those clowns are no longer here, so now, the decision is, cut one of your own, who could be close to turning a major corner, or cut bait, and move on? Neither is sure fire.
Nope but if he makes six wins then I’m all for letting him stay. Anything less and I’m fine if they fire him.

One more comment about Tucker and MSU.

Tucker got rather lucky in that last offseason the popularity of the portal and transferring continued to grow among players. He also got lucky that the NCAA changed the rules and undergraduate transfers no longer have to sit out a year. Given that it's only Tucker's second season, a bunch of guys who were recruited by the previous staff may have decided their future wasn't at MSU under a different offensive and defensive system.

For Frost to do what Tucker did, he'd have to run off a bunch of guys who he and his staff recruited. Unless a guy's got off the field issues (getting in legal trouble, not going to class, etc.) I don't get the sense that Scott Frost would run off anybody who could contribute to the team, even if it's just as a practice player. I get the sense that Frost's really the opposite kind of guy. He gave Mo Washington several chances to change his behavior and stay on the team. He also seemed to really want McCaffrey to stick around.

Tucker has taken a "shortcut" that Frost chose not to take.

Tucker's got somewhere around 40 new players from the transfer portal this season. Many of those guys have Power 5 college experience, particularly on defense. He's built the MSU roster much the same way Snyder used to build KSU's roster with JUCO guys.

We know from last offseason that Frost said he liked what he had at QB and wasn't going to go get a transfer QB. (Ironically, the transfer QB MSU got in the portal isn't starting). He went and got Toure to fill a need at WR. I don't know whether he looked at any OL in the portal or if the guys he tried to get just chose to go elsewhere.

Frost seems to have a different philosophy on how to build a roster than Tucker. He also might have struck out on getting some guys in the portal, we'll probably never know.
One is a long term answer, goal. The other is a quick band aide to win immediately. He may have some huge holes pretty quick there. Have to see how it all plays out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back