• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Trev Alberts did on Sunday.

NY Husker

Red Shirt
According to OWH staff writer, Sam McKewon, on Sunday, Trev went to every Husker football asst. coach and told them how proud he was of their work that week, as told to Sam by Head Coach Scott Frost.

I love that leadership style. Seems everyone is on board and helping each other out. "Small, incremental changes". ;)

I'm stoked about the direction of this program and the feeling of unity that is starting to resonate.

GBR.

Last edited:
According to OWH staff writer, Sam McKewon, on Sunday, Trev went to every Husker football asst. coach and told them how proud he was of their work that week, as told to Sam by Head Coach Scott Frost.

I love that leadership style. Seems everyone is on board and helping each other out. "Small, incremental changes". ;)

I'm stoked about the direction of this program and the feeling of unity that is starting to resonate.

GBR.

That's because Trev lived it. Nebraska always talks about hiring "within the family."

Think about this for a minute: The last time we had "Husker Family members" at BOTH the AD and HC positions is when they promoted these two guys.

5acbd258713cb.image.jpg

We've had four former players/coaches take on the Head Coach or Athletic Director position: Solich and Frost (HC), and Devaney and Osborne (AD). If you want to get technical, Dave Rimington was an interim AD for a period, and Pelini "returned" as Head Coach, although he only coached a single season as Frank's DC. I'm not sure if a single year as an Assistant Coach makes him a "returning" Husker or not. Better ask Bob Diaco if he feels like a Husker.

Anyway, you can argue that Osborne was the AD who hired back Pelini, and I'll give you half-credit for that answer. But we've never had two former players occupying both those roles. And never had any player/coach combo with any "significant Husker tenure" since Devaney & Osborne.

That's because Trev lived it. Nebraska always talks about hiring "within the family."

Think about this for a minute: The last time we had "Husker Family members" at BOTH the AD and HC positions is when they promoted these two guys.

5acbd258713cb.image.jpg

We've had four former players/coaches take on the Head Coach or Athletic Director position: Solich and Frost (HC), and Devaney and Osborne (AD). If you want to get technical, Dave Rimington was an interim AD for a period, and Pelini "returned" as Head Coach, although he only coached a single season as Frank's DC. I'm not sure if a single year as an Assistant Coach makes him a "returning" Husker or not. Better ask Bob Diaco if he feels like a Husker.

Anyway, you can argue that Osborne was the AD who hired back Pelini, and I'll give you half-credit for that answer. But we've never had two former players occupying both those roles. And never had any player/coach combo with any "significant Husker tenure" since Devaney & Osborne.
We have the right people in place for the first time in over 2 decades...if not longer.

5acbd258713cb.image.jpg

Hadnt thought of this.
We certainly have been lacking consistency/continuity in leadership for the past 20 years.
Maybe the stars have aligned again.
Hope so.

Last edited:

5acbd258713cb.image.jpg

I do not necessarily believe that you need ADs and Coaches who've been at the university previously in another role (player, assistant ...). Nebraska football is not THAT unique that it requires inhouse knowledge in order to do these jobs. Having that kind of familiarity doesn't hurt but it is not a requirement to be successful.

What Trev Alberts did was great leadership ... his mentors throughout his life help create that kind of person and leader he's become. You don't need to be a former UNL player to have those skills and values. Bill Moos was a darn good AD ... he wasn't a former NU player. Bill Byrne was as well. Nick Saban is a Kent State graduate.

GBR.

It’s the kind of leadership this program lacked since Tom Osborne was the AD. Leadership throughout this country is lacking. Husker fans deserve this kind of leadership they are the kind of fans( nearly 50,000 of them) that pay $10.00 to watch a spring scrimmage of a 3 win team in the middle of a nationwide pandemic.

I do not necessarily believe that you need ADs and Coaches who've been at the university previously in another role (player, assistant ...). Nebraska football is not THAT unique that it requires inhouse knowledge in order to do these jobs. Having that kind of familiarity doesn't hurt but it is not a requirement to be successful.

What Trev Alberts did was great leadership ... his mentors throughout his life help create that kind of person and leader he's become. You don't need to be a former UNL player to have those skills and values. Bill Moos was a darn good AD ... he wasn't a former NU player. Bill Byrne was as well. Nick Saban is a Kent State graduate.

It's not a requirement by any means.

But it also means that employee doesn't need much of an acclimation period to the university. They already "get" the corporate culture, so so speak, and you don't worry about square peg/round hole situations like Eichorst and his energy vampires.

GBR.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post in the other thread. Trev is showing that he is a stud AD. He has gone in and set clear, identifiable standards and expectations. I bet those were awkward, difficult conversations. Then, he follows up with positive reinforcement on a personal level.

We've definitely got the right guy in the AD chair.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post in the other thread. Trev is showing that he is a stud AD. He has gone in and set clear, identifiable standards and expectations. I bet those were awkward, difficult conversations. Then, he follows up with positive reinforcement on a personal level.

It's limited, but so far my impressions of Trev are very favorable.

I thought he'd be good based on his UNO days and decisions he made there and he's not letting me down.

Now, no tough decisions have been made yet and it's "easy" enough to do the right thing right now. Hopefully he's pretty set on the big 3 sports for years to come and doesn't have to fill one of those voids.

It's limited, but so far my impressions of Trev are very favorable.

I thought he'd be good based on his UNO days and decisions he made there and he's not letting me down.

Now, no tough decisions have been made yet and it's "easy" enough to do the right thing right now. Hopefully he's pretty set on the big 3 sports for years to come and doesn't have to fill one of those voids.
Agree. I believe he is committing his time and effort to football so that he doesn't 'have to make a tough decision and the ship gets going in the right direction. The football team's problem has never been talent, either players or coaches. It has been culture and leadership. Those things are fixable; difficult to fix, no doubt, but can be done.

I don't think he had "awkward, difficult conversations" with anyone and I don't think he came into this job busting out standards and expectations at all. In fact, the article more or less speaks to his style and it's nothing like you describe here.

You are definitely correct in the 2nd half of your post, but the first part is way off the mark.

Last edited:

I don't think he had "awkward, difficult conversations" with anyone and I don't think he came into this job busting out standards and expectations at all. In fact, the article more or less speaks to his style and it's nothing like you describe here.

You ate definitely correct in the 2nd half of your post, but the first part is way off the mark.
Believe what you want to believe.

Agree. I believe he is committing his time and effort to football so that he doesn't 'have to make a tough decision and the ship gets going in the right direction. The football team's problem has never been talent, either players or coaches. It has been culture and leadership. Those things are fixable; difficult to fix, no doubt, but can be done.
Fix leadership and that fixes culture. I'm not sure leadership is "fixable". I haven't fully decided if leadership is a skill that can be learned (at least learned well enough).

You can teach someone to act like a leader to some extent and you can certainly mentor a leader to be better. If that's what you mean by fixable, I agree. I think Frost is a leader and that with better mentoring he'll only improve.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back