• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The good the bad and the ugly Michigan Edition

Yep. Also, that play looked like it was pretty well scouted by Michigan. Their DE looks at Brewington pre-snap and then as he starts to come down the line, he faces him to take on the block and sheds him. Even still, if Rahmir gets a bit better block on the DB, AM probably gets in
I'm assuming that in the future Brewinton will fake the block and roll out for a pass

4th down play at the end of the game.

2am needs to find a receiver for 10 yards and a 1st down. Not just heave it downfield in desperation.

True, but he knew Michigan was blitzing a lot of people and didn't have much time back there.

Edit: if they had any timeouts left, they definitely would have taken one.

Last edited:

He asked for it

If you have one give it

RR

• We played a decent game. Our offensive wizard was shut out in the first half. He did, however, make fantastic adjustments and was absolutely fantastic in the second half. The offensive play calling then deteriorated on the final drive.
  • The defense was fantastic, again, until they were gassed at the end. The headman gets no credit for the defense; I recall a particular press conference where following a poor defensive performance he told the press that the defense was not his responsibility. The only credit he gets is not firing Chins.
  • CTB was utterly fantastic. Robinson was fantastic. Daniels was fantastic. And on and on with the defense.
  • The referring was generally terrible, but I think they got it wrong on both sides all night. The Doman PI was especially ridiculous.
  • AM was who AM is; he is tough as nails. Clearly playing with a broken jaw. He is the reason we were in the game, and the reason why we were unable to get over the hump at the end. He's been who he is for four years. It's not his fault. He should have been coached out of that stuff. Especially when the staff has gone on record calling kids "slow blinkers" in the newspaper. He's either been allowed to reject coaching and not evolve (which I think is unlikely except for the year he looked like he at a million cheeseburgers in the offseason) -or- he simply hasn't been instructed.
  • I do not understand the disappearing acts. Alante Brown, Xavier Betts. Instead, we play athletically inferior wide receivers. I do not understand why players like Yant has a bad play and is then banished. Other players, like AM, make a bad play that ends up swinging the game, and he praises that player to the press. The inconsistent treatment of the players is a major issue in the program.
  • I do not understand running little guys in between the tackles. This board and the staff was nothing less than fully engorged on Markese Stepp, a 6'1" 230 pound running back in the preseason. Do we run him between the tackles? Nope. How about Jaquez Yant, a 6'2" 245 pound running back that showed more than enough ability against Northwestern? Nope, he disappears, too. Instead, we, for the second year in a row, run our oompa lumpa through the tackles, a 5'10" 185 pound back. Don't get it.
  • I do not understand why we were playing the wrong offensive lineman for so long. Indeed, the play calling was designed magnificently through misdirection and counters as a result of our terrible offensive line.
  • We are 3-4 and continue to lose. Posters keep calling closer losses "progress." Indeed, they did play better this week. And still lost. And so now the state of the program is celebrating well played losses. I hate that. Like I read recently "being close" isn't a sign of a job well done. Results are the sign. In this business, results are wins.
  • I believe the maturation of our team over the last three weeks is a direct result of AD Alberts requiring Frost to make some org leadership changes in how things are done. Frost should thank his stars that Alberts came along when he did. Alberts may very well be Frost's savior.
  • The ugly is that I see us on a path of a really bad cycle:
    • Quality losses getting people to believe,
    • Continued mistakes that cost us,
    • Doing just good enough to keep Frost,
    • Lose AM and we start all over again at 3-8,
    • Repeat the cycle every four years so that we can go 7-5 or 8-3 in the fourth year with a four year starting QB.
  • I'd take that deal if we won or played for a NC every four years, but I think that is unlikely.
  • Michigan played really boring football. But it was darn effective. Their running back's were fantastic at picking up pass rushers. I was not impressed by their QB, but their rb Corum was a dude.
  • I thought we did a good job of making that one DE of theirs run horizontally all night.
  • I am curious to see how we do this week. I think this is a dangerous game. We have just come off of a lot of emotion. Fleck has two weeks two prepare for us. I think we should beat them by 3 scores. Let's see if we can.

• We played a decent game. Our offensive wizard was shut out in the first half. He did, however, make fantastic adjustments and was absolutely fantastic in the second half. The offensive play calling then deteriorated on the final drive.
  • The defense was fantastic, again, until they were gassed at the end. The headman gets no credit for the defense; I recall a particular press conference where following a poor defensive performance he told the press that the defense was not his responsibility. The only credit he gets is not firing Chins.
  • CTB was utterly fantastic. Robinson was fantastic. Daniels was fantastic. And on and on with the defense.
  • The referring was generally terrible, but I think they got it wrong on both sides all night. The Doman PI was especially ridiculous.
  • AM was who AM is; he is tough as nails. Clearly playing with a broken jaw. He is the reason we were in the game, and the reason why we were unable to get over the hump at the end. He's been who he is for four years. It's not his fault. He should have been coached out of that stuff. Especially when the staff has gone on record calling kids "slow blinkers" in the newspaper. He's either been allowed to reject coaching and not evolve (which I think is unlikely except for the year he looked like he at a million cheeseburgers in the offseason) -or- he simply hasn't been instructed.
  • I do not understand the disappearing acts. Alante Brown, Xavier Betts. Instead, we play athletically inferior wide receivers. I do not understand why players like Yant has a bad play and is then banished. Other players, like AM, make a bad play that ends up swinging the game, and he praises that player to the press. The inconsistent treatment of the players is a major issue in the program.
  • I do not understand running little guys in between the tackles. This board and the staff was nothing less than fully engorged on Markese Stepp, a 6'1" 230 pound running back in the preseason. Do we run him between the tackles? Nope. How about Jaquez Yant, a 6'2" 245 pound running back that showed more than enough ability against Northwestern? Nope, he disappears, too. Instead, we, for the second year in a row, run our oompa lumpa through the tackles, a 5'10" 185 pound back. Don't get it.
  • I do not understand why we were playing the wrong offensive lineman for so long. Indeed, the play calling was designed magnificently through misdirection and counters as a result of our terrible offensive line.
  • We are 3-4 and continue to lose. Posters keep calling closer losses "progress." Indeed, they did play better this week. And still lost. And so now the state of the program is celebrating well played losses. I hate that. Like I read recently "being close" isn't a sign of a job well done. Results are the sign. In this business, results are wins.
  • I believe the maturation of our team over the last three weeks is a direct result of AD Alberts requiring Frost to make some org leadership changes in how things are done. Frost should thank his stars that Alberts came along when he did. Alberts may very well be Frost's savior.
    • Repeat the cycle every four years so that we can go 7-5 or 8-3 in the fourth year with a four year starting QB.
  • I'd take that deal if we won or played for a NC every four years, but I think that is unlikely.
  • Michigan played really boring football. But it was darn effective. Their running back's were fantastic at picking up pass rushers. I was not impressed by their QB, but their rb Corum was a dude.
  • I thought we did a good job of making that one DE of theirs run horizontally all night.
  • I am curious to see how we do this week. I think this is a dangerous game. We have just come off of a lot of emotion. Fleck has two weeks two prepare for us. I think we should beat them by 3 scores. Let's see if we can.

Outstanding!

thank-you-bow-down.gif

Last edited:

When you get your own column on SI, I request you entitling it, "A Million Cheeseburgers."

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

Just want to tackle a few of your points.
I do not understand the disappearing acts. Alante Brown, Xavier Betts. Instead, we play athletically inferior wide receivers. I do not understand why players like Yant has a bad play and is then banished. Other players, like AM, make a bad play that ends up swinging the game, and he praises that player to the press. The inconsistent treatment of the players is a major issue in the program.
There is a couple things here.
1. The best athlete is not always the best player. Not sure if you are old enough to remember Steve Largent. He was not a great athlete. But he was tough as nails and worked his butt off to run perfect patterns.
2. As for Yant. I think it is speculation that they pulled him for one bad play. But lets say it is true. He does not touch the ball on every play like a QB does. So one bad play is magnified when you are only touching the ball 10 times a game.
I do not understand why we were playing the wrong offensive lineman for so long. Indeed, the play calling was designed magnificently through misdirection and counters as a result of our terrible offensive line.
HCSF addressed this one directly. He said that They started coming on strong a week or two before the NW game. So from that we can assume that prior to that they were not ready. Player development can be like a light switch. One day it starts to make sense so players play faster and more confident.
We are 3-4 and continue to lose. Posters keep calling closer losses "progress." Indeed, they did play better this week. And still lost. And so now the state of the program is celebrating well played losses. I hate that. Like I read recently "being close" isn't a sign of a job well done. Results are the sign. In this business, results are wins.
There is a huge difference between saying. I see progress. and I see success. This seems to be an assumption that many posters are making though. In this paragraph you seem to concede this point. You say "they did play better" . Better is progress. According to Dictionary.com the definition of progress as a noun is:

noun
a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage:the progress of a student toward a degree.
developmental activity in science, technology, etc., especially with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.
advancement in general.
growth or development; continuous improvement:He shows progress in his muscular coordination.
I have seen no one celebrate as in yippee we only lost by a little.. I have seen folks say things are getting better.

1. The best athlete is not always the best player. Not sure if you are old enough to remember Steve Largent. He was not a great athlete. But he was tough as nails and worked his butt off to run perfect patterns.
2. As for Yant. I think it is speculation that they pulled him for one bad play. But lets say it is true. He does not touch the ball on every play like a QB does. So one bad play is magnified when you are only touching the ball 10 times a game.

HCSF addressed this one directly. He said that They started coming on strong a week or two before the NW game. So from that we can assume that prior to that they were not ready. Player development can be like a light switch. One day it starts to make sense so players play faster and more confident.

There is a huge difference between saying. I see progress. and I see success. This seems to be an assumption that many posters are making though. In this paragraph you seem to concede this point. You say "they did play better" . Better is progress. According to Dictionary.com the definition of progress as a noun is:

I have seen no one celebrate as in yippee we only lost by a little.. I have seen folks say things are getting better.
Steve largent is a hall of fame wide receiver.
Lol at him not being a great athlete.

Who was a better athlete in the 1980's seattle seahawk receiving corps?

Nice write up.

Damon Benning provided a possible explanation on Yant yesterday, which I think is very plausible. He said most likely Yant didn't practice very well last week, and that he had made similar mistakes in practice. So we saw 1 mistake while the coaches had seen multiple mistakes throughout the week.

No doubt Trev Alberts has been a big help to Frost and the AD department. From the sounds of things Frost was doing a lot of administrative things under Moos over the last year. I am sure that has been corrected. To say that Alberts is making him do things in different ways and is resulting in things changing is pure speculation on your part.

Going for the TD instead of attempting a FG was a calculated risk. I would have taken the 3 at that time, but I do understand the thinking with going for it. Dr Rob and I agree that if they take 3 at that point the game plays out differently anyway. One event has a barring on other events.

Your complete disdain for Scott Frost just can't help but show through on your write up.

Last edited:

This was an excellent post!

both good posts and Huskerthom did an excellent job of replying without attacking. We all could learn something from this.

Nice write up.

Damon Benning provided a possible explanation on Yant yesterday, which I think is very plausible. He said most likely Yant didn't practice very well last week, and that he had made similar mistakes in practice. So we saw 1 mistake while the coaches had seen multiple mistakes throughout the week.

No doubt Trev Alberts has been a big help to Frost and the AD department. From the sounds of things Frost was doing a lot of administrative things under Moos over the last year. I am sure that has been corrected. To say that Alberts is making him do things in different ways and is resulting in things changing is pure speculation on your part.

Going for the TD instead of attempting a FG was a calculated risk. I would have taken the 3 at that time, but I do understand the thinking with going for it. Dr Rob and I agree that if they take 3 at that point the game plays out differently anyway. One event has a barring on other events.

Your complete disdain for Scott Frost just can't help but show through on your right up.
Was a nice response except that last part. I didn’t get a disdain for anyone.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back