• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let’s be clear on our losses

Those are fair points, although a lot of those things have been addressed (don't want to jinx anything about special teams, but....). Johnson has taken over the primary back spot and has done well. THe thing with Yant could be an issue where he does it all the time in practice, and then it shows up in a game that cost the team yards.

QB after AM leaves is something to be concerned, but Smothers has gotten some decent PT and looked ok for a freshman. As long as this defensive staff is in place, I'm not worried at all about them next year or going forward.
I wonder if Frost already knows AM is returning? Obviously it's a wait and see but I will not be surprised AM decides on another year. Not sure what happens with our QB's in waiting if that happens.

Excellent summary and very realistic concerns once we step outside the koolaid. I’ll add a couple of things. I don’t think chin is as close to being pulled away as you feel after this year. Maybe another year or two.

Secondly, I’m not as worried about next year’s departures. That is every year.
I hope so on Chin staying.

We need to pay the assistants as well. Especially DL and DB's. Our LB's are playing well too, but that DL is insane IMO. CTB will be drafted by round 2 IMO.

I wonder if Frost already knows AM is returning? Obviously it's a wait and see but I will not be surprised AM decides on another year. Not sure what happens with our QB's in waiting if that happens.

I'm just speculating, but I don't think anyone has any idea right now.

Even if AM comes back we need to go get someone I think. A lot of posters said we should look at the portal last spring. I told them they where wrong because we have Martinez but they where right. We have no idea what we have behind Martinez and that’s a little scary heading into next season.

The metrics for each fan are different. That’s why we are always arguing. My point of the op was the exaggerated use of “moral victory” argument levied at any fan who recognizes close games with top teams as a sign of improvement
Oh I clearly understand your point & agree with the premise. Heck, my posts are routinely dismissed as being a homer / fan of moral victories. All I can say is I traveled to the land up north for our 2018 game & despite attending many DONU games over my 7 decades of Husker fandom, have never been quite so embarrassed - the rematch Saturday night made me proud... beyond FRUSTRATED... but extremely proud of the progress & the squad.

said progress needs to result in wins, I believe that will occur with more regularity (if not, we'll start over again) - so I choose to enjoy the ride. Gotta be in the game to win the game... & based on our home & away against the wolverines, we've gained on them far more than they've widened the gap. Perhaps growing up with continual criticism of victories, margin of victory, ingrained sooner magic & Tom will never win the big one chatter made me numb to the naysayers - but all that belief was eventually rewarded and frankly made the wait that much sweeter.

I like that quote but also a realist. Wins and losses absolutely matter. SF will lose his job if he doesn’t start getting the wins. However you first need a team to consistently perform well to get those wins. We hadn’t seen that through 3.2 years of his career here. Now we are at least seeing more consistent play. That had to come first. Wins will come after that.
Another way to look at the situation. One could argue that the team is a handful of plays away from being ranked or even a top 10 team. Is that a stretch? Probably and one could also argue the other side of the equation but that is not my point. The point is, if we are close does changing coaches and starting over get us closer. Does changing systems bring us closer? I would argue no. One reason, I believe, we are hanging better and longer with higher ranked opponents is because we are finally getting some much needed depth at important positions. We are also seeing the benefits of continuity in the system. Players understand the system better and the thinking becomes less and more second nature. If we change, there is a good chance we lose that. One point that isn't often mention is that continuity is not just about the coaches, a big part of continuity is older players bringing along new ones. I also agree with you, at some point wins matter. Winning is contagious, so is losing. This team needs to learn how to win, but also believe that continuity will help hopefully sooner than later. The players need to see the system works, we've seen that first on the defense and now the offense is beginning to see it as well. That is my hope anyway.

Last edited:
Even if AM comes back we need to go get someone I think. A lot of posters said we should look at the portal last spring. I told them they where wrong because we have Martinez but they where right. We have no idea what we have behind Martinez and that’s a little scary heading into next season.
We need more WINNING blowouts to get a better read on Smothers! Lets hope we get several blowouts in the coming weeks. Be nice to see Smothers get several quarters of solid play along with many starters still in the game.

I still have some serious concerns about Frost and company. I can't allow a few close games to obscure years of history.

That said, I was basically all for dropping Frost after Illinois. That game was so typical of Frost that I thought for sure the year would go that way.

I'm still mad at a few other things from these losses (where was Yant on the two goaline runs on the first possession...you put in your big boy there). Special teams cost us 2 games this year. That's unacceptable.

I've been a Chin fan for about 2 years now. He's found great coaches under him and he calls a great game. My concern on defense is twofold: First and foremost do we lose Chin to a HC position after this year? Some G5 school would be stupid to not take a run at him as HC. Second, even if we keep him, I think we're losing some serious experience. Do we have the personal to reload? Is our recruiting going well enough for this?

Offense is mostly better post-Illinois. Love the new OL (really sucks Teddy is out for the year). I'll never understand Held's RB rotation and why Frost allows it. Yant was a monster against NW and then is basically benched for the game (don't give me he went the wrong way on one play and got benched crap. We've had guys commit way worse sins game after game after game and still play).

We don't have a backup QB with any experience. We've really failed in retaining one for next year (if AM doesn't return). Can an offense with great players function well with a new QB?
I hear you.

My biggest concern if Frost comes back is that we will likely have two ‘wasted’ years of recruiting (at least). That puts us right back to being young again at some point.

Concerns of a drop off next year due to AM and the super seniors on defense is real. Every team graduates players, but we seem to have an extraordinary amount invested in ours, and historically haven’t shown a good ability to develop players ‘quickly’.

One way or another, I think we’ll have our answers at the end of the season.

Heck by this time next week we should have a lot of them.

I still have some serious concerns about Frost and company. I can't allow a few close games to obscure years of history.

That said, I was basically all for dropping Frost after Illinois. That game was so typical of Frost that I thought for sure the year would go that way.

I'm still mad at a few other things from these losses (where was Yant on the two goaline runs on the first possession...you put in your big boy there). Special teams cost us 2 games this year. That's unacceptable.

I've been a Chin fan for about 2 years now. He's found great coaches under him and he calls a great game. My concern on defense is twofold: First and foremost do we lose Chin to a HC position after this year? Some G5 school would be stupid to not take a run at him as HC. Second, even if we keep him, I think we're losing some serious experience. Do we have the personal to reload? Is our recruiting going well enough for this?

Offense is mostly better post-Illinois. Love the new OL (really sucks Teddy is out for the year). I'll never understand Held's RB rotation and why Frost allows it. Yant was a monster against NW and then is basically benched for the game (don't give me he went the wrong way on one play and got benched crap. We've had guys commit way worse sins game after game after game and still play).

We don't have a backup QB with any experience. We've really failed in retaining one for next year (if AM doesn't return). Can an offense with great players function well with a new QB?

A couple of things. Who said Teddy was out for the rest of the year. I haven't heard that.

I haven't listened to Benning and Severe forever and turned it on this morning. His opinion on the lack of Yant was that it wasn't turning the wrong way a couple of times, but more likely he had a poor week of practice and the going the wrong way was the last straw.

To contemplate a coaching change at this point would be committing suicide. It sucks that they have lost some very close games and can't seem to put away a game. But changing at the top isn't going to fix that. Unless this team completely implodes, which I don't think will happen, they will eventually break through.

I hear you.

My biggest concern if Frost comes back is that we will likely have two ‘wasted’ years of recruiting (at least). That puts us right back to being young again at some point.

Concerns of a drop off next year due to AM and the super seniors on defense is real. Every team graduates players, but we seem to have an extraordinary amount invested in ours, and historically haven’t shown a good ability to develop players ‘quickly’.
Agreed, that is why I think we go heavy with the transfer portal this year.

A couple of things. Who said Teddy was out for the rest of the year. I haven't heard that.

I haven't listened to Benning and Severe forever and turned it on this morning. His opinion on the lack of Yant was that it wasn't turning the wrong way a couple of times, but more likely he had a poor week of practice and the going the wrong way was the last straw.

To contemplate a coaching change at this point would be committing suicide. It sucks that they have lost some very close games and can't seem to put away a game. But changing at the top isn't going to fix that. Unless this team completely implodes, which I don't think will happen, they will eventually break through.
I'm with you on the coaching change at this point. I don't want it to happen unless, like you said, there is some massive implosion.

I can see that with Yant but damn, you need a big body at the goaline and we have that. Put the dude in even if just a decoy.

Nobody but the critics are using the words Moral Victories and when they do, they use it at fans who are observing this teams performance. I think they are playing better than I’ve seen in a long time. Please don’t accuse me of claiming a moral victory and I won’t accuse you of having a lack of an eye for recognizing better play. A loss is a loss. I know that but I can appreciate how the loss materialized with out being accused of calling it a victory.
Yeah I prefer the moral victory not be used to describe what is going here. Nobody is celebrating, rather, we are accepting that we took the L. We are also clearly observing better overall football from HCSF teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back