• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let’s be clear on our losses

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Nobody but the critics are using the words Moral Victories and when they do, they use it at fans who are observing this teams performance. I think they are playing better than I’ve seen in a long time. Please don’t accuse me of claiming a moral victory and I won’t accuse you of having a lack of an eye for recognizing better play. A loss is a loss. I know that but I can appreciate how the loss materialized with out being accused of calling it a victory.

......it matters not whether you won or lost but how you play the game.
I like that quote but also a realist. Wins and losses absolutely matter. SF will lose his job if he doesn’t start getting the wins. However you first need a team to consistently perform well to get those wins. We hadn’t seen that through 3.2 years of his career here. Now we are at least seeing more consistent play. That had to come first. Wins will come after that.

I dont like the idea of saying there are no moral victories. Yea, accepting losing when you play well would be pathetic and that would be an example of where a moral victory is bad. But when you have been as bad as we have been and you play 3 top 10 teams (2 on the road) to the last series.........you have something to be proud of and excited about. Theres a difference between accepting losing when you play well and being mad that you lost and not accepting it, yet acknowledgeing the positives of playing the way we have been.

Last edited:
Nobody but the critics are using the words Moral Victories and when they do, they use it at fans who are observing this teams performance. I think they are playing better than I’ve seen in a long time. Please don’t accuse me of claiming a moral victory and I won’t accuse you of having a lack of an eye for recognizing better play. A loss is a loss. I know that but I can appreciate how the loss materialized with out being accused of calling it a victory.
I’ve used the term “moral victory” several times the last couple of days. For periods of time since 2019 I’ve been highly critical of SF and what I considered bad coaching and team building (culture) blunders he created. After the 2020 bowl game decision I could have supported a change and that carried over to Illinois 2021. Because I want what I think is best for the program I am behind another year with this staff. The close losses are frustrating but improvement is obvious. It’s funny because if you had told me in July we would be 3-4 with an Illinois loss I would’ve assumed myself and most others would be supporting a change. There’s just a different feel about the current trajectory of the program now versus the end of 2020 and I have to give SF props for that.

I’ve used the term “moral victory” several times the last couple of days. For periods of time since 2019 I’ve been highly critical of SF and what I considered bad coaching and team building (culture) blunders he created. After the 2020 bowl game decision I could have supported a change and that carried over to Illinois 2021. Because I want what I think is best for the program I am behind another year with this staff. The close losses are frustrating but improvement is obvious. It’s funny because if you had told me in July we would be 3-4 with an Illinois loss I would’ve assumed myself and most others would be supporting a change. There’s just a different feel about the current trajectory of the program now versus the end of 2020 and I have to give SF props for that.
Wut?
Weren't you just yesterday accusing others who seemed pleased with the progress/results this year as accepting a "participation trophy"?

You change your mind like a girl changes clothes.

The longest journey begins with the first step. That REAL first step(s) have and are being taken this season imo. Frost needs to return because Nebraska is trending in the right direction imo. I still believe we have a couple of coaching position changes that could greatly benefit the program.

Last edited:

Wut?
Weren't you just yesterday accusing others who seemed pleased with the progress/results this year as accepting a "participation trophy"?

You change your mind like a girl changes clothes.
I’m not going to dominate the board again today with a petty back and forth with you once again. I can be frustrated with the 4 one score losses, critical of the staff, and still recognize progress.

It's gonna be delicious beating #1 ranked Iowa ditch chickens Friday after Thanksgiving
I hope you are right about the victory ... no way does Iowa enter that game ranked #1 ... Georgia will remain #1 until they pay Alabama in the SEC championship game.

Yes they do play Kentucky and Florida the next two weeks ... could they lose? Maybe? But I doubt they do lose ... they're an NFL football team on defense.

I do think Iowa will enter the Black Friday game undefeated!

I’m not going to dominate the board again today with a petty back and forth with you once again. I can be frustrated with the 4 one score losses, critical of the staff, and still recognize progress.
There doesn't need to be a back and forth once you acknowledge your post and make a genuine effort to explain your opinion when asked. Its really that simple.

How is your opinion different from those you accused of "accepting participaton trophies"? What are the "results" they are looking at?

We are clearly improving. However, we also continue to find ways to lose. That has to stop or so will any belief that we are improving.

I’ve been most impressed with the offense over the last two weeks. They have clearly improved and have cut down on blunders (yet they still exist).

I'll bite...

what are the metrics? seriously - is it only W/L record? win percentage? (if so, please explain Solich & Pelini dismissals)
is a 3pt last minute loss against a ranked opponent equal to a blowout loss?
are there intangibles to be considered? if so, please elaborate
"not the victory but the action" - is that relevant?

Great thread, @Hville . I was as pissed as anyone Saturday night. But you know what? It felt great to have disappointed anger against a top 10 team again, as opposed to contemplating turning the game off after the first quarter. Now it's time to take the next step and start winning these games. 13 points is what separates Nebraska from three teams that are a combined 18-0. So come out on Saturday and take out their frustrations on Minnesota.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back