• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern Practice Week: 30 September Coach Frost

It was a designed play by MSU. They had scouted Czerny and knew he was likely to punt to his left. They put 2 returners deep and told the one one on the right to wave for a fair catch to make Nebraska think it was coming to him. And they told their blockers to form up on the right as well Partly by chance it dovetailed perfectly with our called coverage and the punter's error.

I posted elsewhere here on Saturday I think Frost needs to own that error instead of just blaming the kicker as he did right after the game, because at this point everything that happens is on him. I said if there's a chance his kicker won't properly execute Frost needs to scheme for that.

It turns out MSU's special teams coordinator knew our kicker's tendency is to kick left. Did our special teams coordinator know that too?

Details are important.
The “fake return” guy in no way made a fair catch signal. His arm hand movement was below the shoulder. It looked like he may have clapped. His arm hand movement was to his left (our right).

Another interesting point is I am pretty sure the ball was fielded on the (from our perspective) just a few yards outside the left hash mark (on a dead run), so it wasn’t that badly shanked. Both return men set up on their hash marks at the MSU 30. Both return and coverage teams are going down the middle of field with slight bias to (our) right (especially our gunner on right). Fake guy looks up like tracking ball and retreating to the right. Reed is all the way back to 28 and starts advancing and actually fields it on the 37 in the meantime. So the kick was only 34 yards and was caught on a near dead run. Basically, our return team completely overran where the kick was even fielded. I think Henrich was the first to notice and react to Reed's movement.

Our players just lazily followed what their opponents did. They really were not paying any attention to Reed despite the clear giveaways that he was advancing rapidly to catch what was a short kick.

Here is twitter link to replay.

You can argue that you can't see either returner in the early part of the kick game, but clearly decoy made no move around the time a player would normally signal for a fair catch. In fact his arm movements may actually be more like preparing to make a catch.

Last edited:

Fake return man did not make a fair catch signal. He did a good job faking that he was tracking the kick. See #91 previous post and watch the video link.

After reading the OWH article yesterday, I was under the impression that the kick was supposed to go to the right, but it came off Cerni's foot heading to the left.

So give kudos to MSU for knowing that our punting accuracy is iffy?

After reading the OWH article yesterday, I was under the impression that the kick was supposed to go to the right, but it came off Cerni's foot heading to the left.

So give kudos to MSU for knowing that our punting accuracy is iffy?
Absolutely, and kudos to MSU for pretending it was coming right.

Congratulations to Bob’s kid. LNE Rockets strike again. Well done.

Last edited:

The “fake return” guy in no way made a fair catch signal. His arm hand movement was below the shoulder. It looked like he may have clapped. His arm hand movement was to his left (our right).

Another interesting point is I am pretty sure the ball was fielded on the (from our perspective) just a few yards outside the left hash mark (on a dead run), so it wasn’t that badly shanked. Both return men set up on their hash marks at the MSU 30. Both return and coverage teams are going down the middle of field with slight bias to (our) right (especially our gunner on right). Fake guy looks up like tracking ball and retreating to the right. Reed is all the way back to 28 and starts advancing and actually fields it on the 37 in the meantime. So the kick was only 34 yards and was caught on a near dead run. Basically, our return team completely overran where the kick was even fielded. I think Henrich was the first to notice and react to Reed's movement.

Our players just lazily followed what their opponents did. They really were not paying any attention to Reed despite the clear giveaways that he was advancing rapidly to catch what was a short kick.

Here is twitter link to replay.

You can argue that you can't see either returner in the early part of the kick game, but clearly decoy made no move around the time a player would normally signal for a fair catch. In fact his arm movements may actually be more like preparing to make a catch.
Yeah, looks like you're right about the wave at least from portion visible on the clip. I was just restating what Sparty said about the play after the game and hadn't checked the tape myself.

In any case they receiver did pretend to be receiving it and we got suckered and / or just weren't alert enough, all of which is good for them and bad on us. Plus we apparently were planning to kick right and failed to execute and failed to be ready for the possibilty. So it still was a coaching and execution screw up by us. We have to get the details right.

Sirles is 100% right

Really can't blame just one guy for a team-sport loss (or victory for that matter). There are far too many plays/opportunities in a game that go into winning/losing. And there are circumstances that are out of the players'/coaches' control (i.e. bad/no calls, weather, injuries, "freak plays", etc.) that impact a game as well.

I recall Dr Tom Osborne saying... and I paraphrase... a team has to play well enough to render the uncontrollable factors inconsequential.

I'm really looking forward to the game(s) where we just play well as an entire team for an entire game (i.e. no shots to our feet)... let alone well enough to win despite any uncontrollable factors.

Last edited:

In the past, we saw some dynamic play keeping games close.
It seems now, on offense, other than AM, we arent seeing much yet, while still keeping games close.
I'm waiting for a breakout game

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back