• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If your son played??

Frosty1980

Go Big Red!
5 Year Member
Let’s just say you have a senior playing football and was being recruited. Would you recommend he goes to Nebraska under these coaches? Would it depend on position? If he was an offensive lineman being recruited by Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska what would you tell him? Take your fan goggles off and answer truthfully. I would recommend Iowa if my son played offensive line or tight end. They have proven for over a decade to send kids to the NFL. Noah Fant chose them and it went really well. I think this is always a fun discussion.

Wisconsin
No ... Wisconsin is down trending ... Joe Rudolph their OC and OLine coach is under fire for their offensive performances the last few years. Would not be surprised if he loses his job and/or one of the roles he currently has.

I agree with the Iowa recommendation unfortunately.

Let’s just say you have a senior playing football and was being recruited. Would you recommend he goes to Nebraska under these coaches? Would it depend on position? If he was an offensive lineman being recruited by Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska what would you tell him? Take your fan goggles off and answer truthfully. I would recommend Iowa if my son played offensive line or tight end. They have proven for over a decade to send kids to the NFL. Noah Fant chose them and it went really well. I think this is always a fun discussion.
TE University - Fant, Hockeson, Kittle

Although I do wonder in retrospect whether Fant is happy with his decision given he shared the TE position with Hockenson

Last edited:
No ... Wisconsin is down trending ... Joe Rudolph their OC and OLine coach is under fire for their offensive performances the last few years. Would not be surprised if he loses his job and/or one of the roles he currently has.

I agree with the Iowa recommendation unfortunately.
It’s painful to say right? I hate Iowa but it is what it is.

The truth of the matter is right now I would have a hard time encouraging my son to play football especially as a youth ... the risk of concussion and brain damage has not dissipated enough for me to let that go without serious reservations.

The truth of the matter is right now I would have a hard time encouraging my son to play football especially as a youth ... the risk of concussion and brain damage has not dissipated enough for me to let that go without serious reservations.
My son is a freshman in high school. He wants to play next year. It’s a tough decision but I’m letting him decide. The thing is he has a definite possibility of playing college basketball. Possibly a high level. I know his basketball coach will cringe when told he’s playing football.

My son is a freshman in high school. He wants to play next year. It’s a tough decision but I’m letting him decide. The thing is he has a definite possibility of playing college basketball. Possibly a high level. I know his basketball coach will cringe when told he’s playing football.

far to many kids are specializing in a certain sport, and that is not a good thing. I did the 3 major ones.. football basketball and track. Each sport helps prepare for the next.

I am a high school bball coach at a school with smaller student body, so many of my players also play football.

I would recommend that you have great communication with your son so that you know what is happening with him physically ... there's a difference between hurt and injured ... sometimes that line gets blurred especially by some players and coaches. You should communicate frequently with the trainer make sure he/she has a line of communication with your son and also directly with yourself.

Little things can become bigger things if not addressed. Often times players compensate physically for injuries and end up hurting themselves elsewhere. I would also meet ahead of time with the football coach and make sure he knows your son is a bball first kid ... that recruiting visits, workouts and fall leagues ... may occur and that there needs to be a balance.

Having said all that I am an advocate of multi-sport kids ... playing different sports helps them become more well rounded. Different coaching techniques, different learning processes, helps with the ego and instills teamwork, selflessness and toughness. Many colleges also share that opinion as well.

I am a high school bball coach at a school with smaller student body, so many of my players also play football.

I would recommend that you have great communication with your son so that you know what is happening with him physically ... there's a difference between hurt and injured ... sometimes that line gets blurred especially by some players and coaches. You should communicate frequently with the trainer make sure he/she has a line of communication with your son and also directly with yourself.

Little things can become bigger things if not addressed. Often times players compensate physically for injuries and end up hurting themselves elsewhere. I would also meet ahead of time with the football coach and make sure he knows your son is a bball first kid ... that recruiting visits, workouts and fall leagues ... may occur and that there needs to be a balance.

Having said all that I am an advocate of multi-sport kids ... playing different sports helps them become more well rounded. Different coaching techniques, different learning processes, helps with the ego and instills teamwork, selflessness and toughness. Many colleges also share that opinion as well.
I appreciate your response. I think his coach would respond similarly to you. It is hard to know when he’s really hurt. I struggle with that sometimes because he’s the kind that will play through it.

I would say yes. It really comes down to if they want to play ball after college or just use their abilities to get free college. If its just to get through college does it really matter where they play in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back