• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

#1 Hot Seats

I'm sure there's plenty. But I guess I'd ask you how you are defining a burden? And what makes Nebraska more extreme in your eyes?

Living in Austin, I can promise you the "burden" is tremendous here. UT has gone through four coaches since 2013 -- compared to NU's three. Herman was fired with 7-10 wins in each of his seasons, a bowl game every season, and finished ranked his last three.

If "burden" is defined as expectations/pressure to "win now," Nebraska is nowhere near the top.
The burden of having to make the decision of bringing back a coach who may have 4 consecutive losing seasons for a 5th, versus the burden of letting the coach go and starting over.......again.

His performance during the first three years were terrible and he could justifiably have been fired. But he wasn't, so he's safe for the rest of the year.

NU was put in a bind on firing him, however, by the quick extension given to him for no discernible reason. I've never understood that. That much money does in fact talk.

And it says, hopefully, please get us to a bowl game this year and we can fake it from there.

So we'll see. If we can have an entirely different looking and acting team than we have had for his first three years, maybe we can get a break here and there and get to 6. And that will keep him in his chair, I think.

Sad, but it will. Getting to 6 wins with three gimmees is a fairly low bar, but the fan base will see great things in that. And the administration can reduce that big payout a bit.

So I'm not sure how hot the seat is under him. That's a lot of money to pay out. I suspect that we are still paying other coaches we fired, and we are not a rich school.
The burden of having to make the decision of bringing back a coach who may have 4 consecutive losing seasons for a 5th, versus the burden of letting the coach go and starting over.......again.
Just like soup, you can’t fix a bad recipe, so to fix it you need a new soup recipe

I agree the team is looking better especially on the defense. However, it is hard to overlook the sloppy play of the offense and the continued disaster on special teams. To know each year you need to improve the play of the special teams er only to come up short does not speak well of the coach. I remember one year our special teams were pathetic. The next year Bo took charge and we did a 180 degree turn around.

Fair.

Or we could just freak out every time something goes sideways.

Wait.

I guess we've already tried that.
Three years and counting, going sideways. That, to me is a bit understated. I wish Scott the very best, but he has some work to do before optimism runs rampant. If I misinterpreted your comments, my apologies.

Three years and counting, going sideways. That, to me is a bit understated. I wish Scott the very best, but he has some work to do before optimism runs rampant. If I misinterpreted your comments, my apologies.

We're on the same page. We have had three years of sideways.

I'm seeing something other than sideways now, so I'm not freaking out.

DONU's an eternal hot seat, has been warm to insta-hot since TO retired. HC attire here should include a fire suit as seat temperature varies play by play, minute to minute.

Somewhat sad, as some pretty decent performances are often lost in the seemingly never ending fan panic / criticism.

Game 5 already - where does the time go each season - we've got all off season to whine & complain.

Last edited:
Frost bought himself time with the performance at Oklahoma.

If this hot seat website is supposed to be a week-by-week tracker, I'd drop Frost down to the #5-10 range, with his seat getting cooler with each win. As of today, at least, the majority of the fanbase seems appeased.
Frost's job is not in jeopardy. He might be on the hot seat list of some national pundits, but he is not on the hot seat list of his boss.

There is only one coach who has had more than four straight losing seasons to start his HC career at an FBS school who was brought back for a 5th season.

His name is, wait for it........Bill Jennings.......

And yes, his 5th year was just like his other 4, a non winning season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back