• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michigan State Opens as 3 Point Favorite (Home Field Advantage)

NEGATIVES:

Michigan State gave up 52 yards rushing to Miami and 117 to Northwestern. I think the chances are low this is the game the RB running game will break out. Still, we do have a past history of running on MSU when no one else does.

They have a lot of "belief" and swagger having solidly beat last years West Division Champs (though we believe a shell of last years team) and ran all over preseason #14 Miami at Miami. Not too much difference in Alabama - Miami score vs MSU - Miami (though Alabama was all over Miami and let up versus MSU and Miami were close until MSU blew open in fourth quarter.

Appear to have one of the better RBs in Walker.

Thorne is very efficient with minimal turnovers and their defense is good at taking them away. Nailor pretty good WR.

Officiating - I know it sounds like whining but really we went almost 2 years without an opponent holding call 2016-2018. Last year none in the first 5 games and this year hardly any when i can see our line being held practically all the time. All that while we get crazy penalties on scoring plays. Insanity to expect we get a fairly called game? Home crowd only puts more pressure on officials to make calls for home team.

They are at home hosting us on a night game on TV.

POSITIVES:

Pass defense has been their weakness (maybe just because no one can run so they have to pass) and Martinez is (aside form Illinois) throwing the ball very well. Beautiful deep balls to Betts, Toure and Martin this year.

Our QB Run game may add the wrinkle to open up some RB runs more than they have seen so far.

Our defense is probably the best defense they have faced this year. If they get 21 can we get more.

We seem to have their number. If that is a real thing.

OU game should have positive impact on our belief that we can play with anyone. Only drawback is if we don't give MSU the respect they are due and get ready for a slobber knocker.

If I have learnt anything in the last 3+ years of Husker football, it is that the prior weeks performance (more often than not when good) absolutely cannot be used with any accuracy to predict how this week's performance will play out.

There have been way too many 'turning point' games, seasons...

Can you imagine a team like Saturday, w o the mistakes and miscues?
Not bagging on you here HiO, but just want to quote your sentence to help make my point. Many of the optimistic comments in various threads here center around the theme of, "if we can just clean up the mistakes there isn't a game left on the schedule that we can't win."

That is probably true, but in the Scott Frost era when have we played clean football? What is it that makes people think the team is going to magically stop making stupid mistakes, shooting themselves in the foot, and beating themselves?

I guess it could happen, but the results from the past 36 games don't lead me to believe that it will.

Not bagging on you here HiO, but just want to quote your sentence to help make my point. Many of the optimistic comments in various threads here center around the theme of, "if we can just clean up the mistakes there isn't a game left on the schedule that we can't win."

That is probably true, but in the Scott Frost era when have we played clean football? What is it that makes people think the team is going to magically stop making stupid mistakes, shooting themselves in the foot, and beating themselves?

I guess it could happen, but the results from the past 36 games don't lead me to believe that it will.
I’m quite aware and have made it known how I feel about the mistakes and miscues. It’s a pattern. To me, it just felt a bit different Saturday. The kicking problem is a mystery. Seemed to have fixed the kickoff issue, but now the all BIG kicker from last season has disappeared, and XP and FG are a serious wild card now. Those things cost you games, as it did Saturday. It just seemed like there was more attitude, passion and pride Saturday. Like, we aren’t going to be shoved around anymore. I don’t know man, maybe it’s wishful thinking, but it seemed noticeably different last Saturday.

POSITIVES:

Pass defense has been their weakness (maybe just because no one can run so they have to pass) and Martinez is (aside form Illinois) throwing the ball very well. Beautiful deep balls to Betts, Toure and Martin this year.

This gets me excited. The offense, especially the pass game is starting to get an identity. If we can stick to what’s working(looking at you whoever is calling the plays) I think we can pick up a good win.

Hope the rain forecast doesn't materialize, yet another negative intangible.

Likely a tight game, which amplifies the importance of special teams :O O:

I thought this line would be more like MSU -5.5 as NU is very vulnerable to a let-down after an emotional game vs. OU. Back to back road games are tough for anyone, much less OU and Michigan St. Hopefully the Huskers show some maturity and overcome that. Must win for the Huskers.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back