• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chances of Winning

Defense is the answer of course. If the albino sits in the pocket and gets loose, we will lose. However if our D line and linebackers make his life miserable, we have a chance. 9.5 chance of winning if we go soft and play cover.

The formula to beat OU is to control the clock, keep their offense off the field, and pressure the QB. Unfortunately, I don't see NU doing either of those.

Would love to see this be the upset of the week, but I just don't see it happening without a strong run game and D-line who can get after the QB.

All I can muster is a puncher's chance. Realistically . . . the Huskers probably get killed. Outside of tOSU in year 1, they haven't ever played a game even remotely above their heads. More often than not, they play down to their competition and generally are the team that makes the bad mistakes. I just don't see the team that blew a prime chance at IL this year and struggled to control the line of scrimmage against pretty much everyone so far can win at Norman.

If Frost gives up on the vanilla inside zone and dropback pass and throws everything he has at OU . . . and gets a little lucky . . . maybe can pull off an upset. Would love to be wrong, but will take a near miracle for NU to win this weekend.

I look forward to the day when we're discussing the Huskers having realistic chances against ranked teams instead of what if scenarios that require perfect performances on our part and an off day on their part.

Maybe Saturday will be the first step in that direction.....

Somebody's got to win.

Might as well be Nebraska.
26gsfdArwyEnXnDGw.gif

Just got to believe! Like FSU before the NCs. There is going to be that stepping stone game..... Why not Saturday?

Somebody's got to win.

Might as well be Nebraska.
Not disagreeing but you even said OU finds a way to lose a game a year they shouldn't...Nebraska, unfortunately, has found a way to lose 3-4 games a year they probably shouldn't. They legitimately only actually lose 1-2 games a year they didn't give away. I hope this changes but, for now, it is our reality.

Not disagreeing but you even said OU finds a way to lose a game a year they shouldn't...Nebraska, unfortunately, has found a way to lose 3-4 games a year they probably shouldn't. They legitimately only actually lose 1-2 games a year they didn't give away. I hope this changes but, for now, it is our reality.

That’s fair.

We’ve found ways to give away possessions, points and ultimately games. Change the first two and we change the last one. I’d love to see that all come together Saturday.

You could make a strong argument that Frost’s record at NU could have easily been 20-12, instead of 12-20 coming into this season. I mean, how many close games where Nebraska easily could have won? Probably 10 at least. That said, it’s his job to fix all that, and thus far, it’s still the same. Illinois, game 1, perfect example.

This is why I keep saying NU should be going 9-3, 10-2 almost annually. I mean, on paper, NU has more talent than everyone except Ohio State, Oklahoma (to a much lesser degree), and possibly Michigan. That’s it. The other teams? They beat you with smart play, scheme, and sound execution. So, in other words, very good coaching and development.

some things that give me hope.
1. Their D is not the monster it was in the past. As evidenced by the Tulane game.
2. Their QB as good as he is has thrown 2 INTs so far. That is 2 more than ours.
3. There rushing game is not a ton better on average than ours.
4. Our D seems to be gelling. BTW pressuring the QB is not just sacks. I saw a stat somewhere that we caused 27 hurries last week.

None of this means we will win. this just gives me hope.

You could make a strong argument that Frost’s record at NU could have easily been 20-12, instead of 12-20 coming into this season. I mean, how many close games where Nebraska easily could have won? Probably 10 at least. That said, it’s his job to fix all that, and thus far, it’s still the same. Illinois, game 1, perfect example.

This is why I keep saying NU should be going 9-3, 10-2 almost annually. I mean, on paper, NU has more talent than everyone except Ohio State, Oklahoma (to a much lesser degree), and possibly Michigan. That’s it. The other teams? They beat you with smart play, scheme, and sound execution. So, in other words, very good coaching and development.
Here in lies the truth. To pull off an upset, or even play close there must be an articulated offensive plan of attack. I am not sure we have seen the four quarter offensive performance in 3 and 1/3 years that gives hope this will happen. Also, don't forget our special teams woes and anemic running (back) attack. I would love to see a competitive game but the money in Vegas is still chasing the point spread up, already at 22.5 and climbing. The O/U is set at 62.5 so this tells me that it will be a lopsided game in the minds of the Vegas books. Victory in this game is to come out with no injuries and a modest loss that would cover the point spread. Outside of the fans at Nebraska and OU, thats all the college football world looks at.

Play hard, coach smart, eliminate errors, compete for four quarters and change my view.

This is pretty much what a guy I know on another board (Sooner fan) said. They are a little nervous about the game because "Riley manages to stumble into 2 or 3 losses that should never happen" and NU could suddenly have a good game.

Unfortunately, I'm more confident in NU's proclivity to give a game away than OU's.

Probably less than an 8% chance as we're 22.5 point dogs.

Though it's one thing to recognize there's always a chance any given Saturday etc.

Keeping from turning that into some kind of weird expectation of a miracle is another thing entirely.

(Not saying anyone here is but you know some people are)
Well put. I've decided to adopt "Weird Expectation of a Miracle!" as my personal life's motto. AND IT STARTS THIS SATURDAY!!!

Big Noon kickoff with a large national audience? I'm pretty sure that means a 100% chance of losing miserably.

But a decisive loss isn't good enough. Because we're in some type of football purgatory. So we'll get just enough garbage-time points to beat the spread and make half the fanbase think we've turned a corner.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back