• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It’s not very lively around here, especially for NU/OU week

It’s pretty quiet for it being a game we’ve all waited for, for a decade. It’s quiet down here too, really. Sure, some talk, but not the same. I think most of that is because NU hasn’t been very good. Golly, I remember the excitement for several weeks leading up to those games. Kinda sad.
Was looking around for Okie comments last night. Didn't find much on boards I could access. Just that they still remember us wanting out of game...

Was looking around for Okie comments last night. Didn't find much on boards I could access. Just that they still remember us wanting out of game...
Yes. Plenty of that. Still hard to believe that ever was even discussed, by whomever. Shocking and terribly weak. Also, I think most believe Nebraska will offer little resistance.

Defense will play well enough I think but you can't stop OU every drive. I'm not sure NU scores unless it's off of a broken pass play with AM scrambling.
OU’s defense can and will be had, by someone(s). Is Nebraska one of the someone’s? I don’t know, but the OU D can be soft. I’m still not sold on Nebraska’s D. They’ve played no one. I don’t know if it’s any good or not. Can they hold OU under 500 yards and 38 points? I have no idea, but if they can’t, most likely, it will be ugly.

Last edited:

OU’s defense can and will be had, by someone(s). Is Nebraska one of the someone’s? I don’t know, but the OU D can be soft. I’m still not sold on Nebraska’s D. They’ve played no one. I don’t know if it’s any good or not. Can they hold OU under 500 yards and 38 points? I have no idea, but if they can’t, most likely, it will be ugly.
Chin has proven to be a decent DC IMO. Our two best position coaches are DB and DL.

500 yards and 38 points may be more of an indication of how well does our offense play than our defense. If our D is always on the field/put into bad positions ("special" teams), they could still play well and give up over both of those numbers.

Yeah, weird week for the board. A lot of folks, like myself, have been really pessimistic, and after Buffalo, I now think we might win a couple conference games. Nothing brings folks out to the message boards like the-sky-is-falling situations.

But at the same time, there's still no hype. We frankly have no chance in this game. It's just not gonna happen. Too wide of a talent and execution gulf. I'm hoping we can stay within a score or two until the 4th quarter. That would be ideal to me.

I'm sure the board will get more active if we somehow turn things around and make a bowl game. But otherwise, you're seeing the same type of apathy that's hit merchandise sales, podcast listenership, etc.

Which is precisely why it never should have been discussed. It would be nice if the narrative around this game could be something else entirely, like the history of the rivalry, etc. We have enough issues with the perception of the program that we didn't need "dodging competition "to be piled on top of it....

Defense will play well enough I think but you can't stop OU every drive. I'm not sure NU scores unless it's off of a broken pass play with AM scrambling.
Even with AM scrambling, I have a lot of doubts about our offense in this game. Our best bet is a steady diet of WR option attacks--since Smothers can also run the option and we have some depth in that regard, I hope we involve our QBs pretty heavily in the run game.

But I don't think AM will break a 75-yard run in this game. Buffalo schematically left a lot of field open for AM and they weren't very quick. Buffalo played hard, sure, but AM was a lot more athletic than most of their kids. Oklahoma will have an athleticism advantage, and I think AM will struggle to pick up big runs.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back